PDA

View Full Version : Now that I have fedora 14 and virtual box...

1BadAction
December 7th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I'd like to get a few suggestions. Comp is an Acer aspireONE netbook (aka, minime) running a 1.5ghz atom processor and a gig of ram, the idea with this was not to replace my main tuning laptop (acer, w7 full touchscreen), but have something ultra portable that can be with me at all times. So, should I setup win XP in virtual box? how should I handle software? This machine doesn't have a CD drive.

ScarabEpic22
December 7th, 2010, 01:19 PM
You can try VB, not sure how successful you'll be in connecting your FlashScan into VB though.

Software is easy, download it from the main page/software release area when needed.

The tricky part will be the Fedora -> VB -> XP USB driver stuff, need to look for a FTDI USB driver for Fedora (think its available for Ubuntu).

redhardsupra
December 8th, 2010, 01:58 AM
The Linux driver that you want for the connectivity is called ftdi_sio if i recall correctly. I'm going off memory of old experiments so I might be wrong tho. Please report back if you get it going, I'd be interested to see it working.

1BadAction
December 8th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Seemed to work and download everything correctly late last night. I'll try to flash tonight and report back.

My question is: when does it become a windows machine, and when is it Linux? if you are booting windows, you're booting windows, doesn't matter if you are doing it by pressing an icon inside a Linux program or a power button on the laptop, you still need to deal with the windows BS to get to EFILive. A straight Linux port would be so much better suited to the tuning world. I don't think we'll ever see it, but I would pay to get my hands on it if I had to.

Chevy366
December 8th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Seemed to work and download everything correctly late last night. I'll try to flash tonight and report back.

My question is: when does it become a windows machine, and when is it Linux? if you are booting windows, you're booting windows, doesn't matter if you are doing it by pressing an icon inside a Linux program or a power button on the laptop, you still need to deal with the windows BS to get to EFILive. A straight Linux port would be so much better suited to the tuning world. I don't think we'll ever see it, but I would pay to get my hands on it if I had to.
Sadly you are still in Winders , be it VB or VMW ,( Wine and CodeWeavers tries to Emulate a Winders Environment without Winders ) , but you are just letting Winders reside in Linux .
I agree a build for Linux would be nice , Google Chrome may change the game here in the new future , Linux is stifled from lack of Games and programs , came a long ways , but has a ways to go .

1BadAction
December 9th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Works well, can scan, log and tune just like a windoze machine. Even updated the firmware. :hihi:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7780/screenshotii.png

ScarabEpic22
December 9th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Awesome!

What usb drivers did you end up using?

1BadAction
December 9th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Sadly you are still in Winders , be it VB or VMW ,

and I think this is the case also, but, looking on the bright side, I can completely remove the "real" winders xp out of this computer now. No BS dual boot options, just boom, straight to fedora and IF I need windows, it's there. I still think that it runs faster inside of linux but that could be my imagination.

Next stop is a 128GB SSD hard drive. :shock:

1BadAction
December 9th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Awesome!

What usb drivers did you end up using?
I haven't installed any drivers, other than the windows ones inside the virtual machine. Fedora doesn't even see the port when VB has control of it.

ScarabEpic22
December 9th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I haven't installed any drivers, other than the windows ones inside the virtual machine. Fedora doesn't even see the port when VB has control of it.

Ah true, Ive only used VB with Windows hosts and other Windows VMs or Linux VMs. Havent wanted to go Ubuntu fulltime with a Windows VM, too much junk for school right now is still Windows based. But, getting a new laptop to replace my main one with its cracked screen and crappy battery life, Im thinking of turning this laptop into a fulltime Linux box with a few versions on it. Set up RDP and stick it in the corner of my room.

Chevy366
December 10th, 2010, 04:33 AM
and I think this is the case also, but, looking on the bright side, I can completely remove the "real" winders xp out of this computer now. No BS dual boot options, just boom, straight to fedora and IF I need windows, it's there. I still think that it runs faster inside of linux but that could be my imagination.

Next stop is a 128GB SSD hard drive. :shock:
Love the Fedora 14 , have it on one of my other laptops , Fedora or SuSE for me , just a .rpm person , nothing wrong with .deb mind you .

1BadAction
December 10th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Love the Fedora 14 , have it on one of my other laptops , Fedora or SuSE for me , just a .rpm person , nothing wrong with .deb mind you .

Same here.. I've tinkered with Linux on and off since Lindows but I never "got it" until I installed FC12 and really forced myself to make all the applications work how I want. I'm starting to somewhat understand how a certain program functions with the OS, not just unpack this and type this and boom your program works.

ScarabEpic22
December 10th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Hey same here, I got into Linux with Lindows (later Linspire) and have since used Ubuntu on and off in test/play environments. Im going to try Fedora now though, want to play with as many flavors as I can get my hands on! BTW if anyone is looking to get some legacy hardware running again, check out Lubuntu. It uses LXDE as the GUI and runs faster on my AMD Athlon XP 2600+ with 1GB RAM than Win XP ever did.

Chevy366
December 11th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Same here.. I've tinkered with Linux on and off since Lindows but I never "got it" until I installed FC12 and really forced myself to make all the applications work how I want. I'm starting to somewhat understand how a certain program functions with the OS, not just unpack this and type this and boom your program works.
Once you get use to Linux , Winders will become actually harder , well not harder but not as intuitive .
If we could get more programers to leap into the Linux camp with games and hardware I think it would take off . Google , is my hopes , will lure more developers to Linux in the near future , I believe the Cellphone is fast becoming a replacement for all Computer devices , if had a dock that I could dock my cell in and give me a screen size and keyboard as that of a laptop I would abandon coms and use just occasionally as needed , having one OS to deal with .

Chevy366
December 11th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Hey same here, I got into Linux with Lindows (later Linspire) and have since used Ubuntu on and off in test/play environments. Im going to try Fedora now though, want to play with as many flavors as I can get my hands on! BTW if anyone is looking to get some legacy hardware running again, check out Lubuntu. It uses LXDE as the GUI and runs faster on my AMD Athlon XP 2600+ with 1GB RAM than Win XP ever did.
Wow , Lindows , yeah that was a Linux nightmare , open root privileges , yikes !
Thanks to Red Hat (Fedora) we have a file system of usable proportions , and SuSE for YaST package management (dependencies management) , I started with Corel Linux and then jumped to Red Hat .
Ah the days of compiling your own kernel (SuSE made it so much easier when they devised a way to update the kernel without the need of compiling ) and chasing dependencies for a program , don't miss them at all .

nevinsb
December 11th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I've pretty much always used gentoo, but I just installed Fedora 14 a few weeks ago. It's way too easy.

someguy
January 20th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Thanks for sharing this ! I'm running F16 and I'll be installing VB as soon as I need to run EFI LIVE. I think this is so much better than dual booting.

1BadAction
January 24th, 2012, 04:51 PM
yes, no doubt better than dual booting, but the last few iterations of the Linux Kernel have been power hogs in my machines. Even ArchBang with LXDE runs hot as hell and kills the batteries in both of my laptops. I'm back to a clean install of Windows 7 and have zero issues. I'm somewhat disappointed but it is what it is, I don't have time to screw with this stuff like I used to.

GMPX
January 24th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Even ArchBang with LXDE runs hot as hell and kills the batteries in both of my laptops. I'm back to a clean install of Windows 7 and have zero issues.
I found exactly the same thing with Ubuntu on my laptop, battery life was at least one third of the time I would get if it was running Windows.

ScarabEpic22
January 24th, 2012, 10:50 PM
People keep knocking Windows, honestly I dont believe they've used Windows 7 with any longevity if that's the case. Its much better on power and has a bunch of little tweaks here and there that really make it nice to use. Just wish you could Aero Snap different windows into the corners of the desktop instead of just left or right. Left or right is fine for screens up to about 24", above that with resolutions higher than 1080p it'd be great to snap to the corners to see 4 equally sized windows. But thats me picking at it ha!

BTW my 17.3" Core i7-2720QM, 8gb ram, 750gb hdd, 128gb Crucial M4 SSD gets ~8hrs of battery life just web browsing. If I enable the discrete Radeon HD card its about 1/2-1/3 that, Intel's Sandy Bridge is awesome. Cant wait for Ivy Bridge in a few months...

Chevy366
January 25th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Funny with openSUSE I get far better than any Winders on both my laptops (Lenovo , Alienware) , I guess you just have to know Linux .
KDE has power settings that allow the same if not better management as Winders (CPU scaling) <------ you know what this is right ? .

Hey to each his own , don't knock Linux if you don't understand it .

Understand Micro$oft is coming out with a new file system ReFS (Resilient File System) Server 8 , of course y'all knew that .

Chevy366
January 25th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Want to see something amazing ? http://www.lytro.com/living-pictures/2325

joecar
January 25th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Want to see something amazing ? http://www.lytro.com/living-pictures/2325Hmmm, wow, how'd they do that...?!?!

ScarabEpic22
January 25th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Yep Ive heard rumors a new FS was coming out soon but didnt know when. We all know that with Vista a new file system was supposed to come out that tagged everything with XML but the name escapes me now.

CPU scaling, as in limit the max CPU usage while in different power plans? Or as in have the CPU dynamically adjust to different speeds based on environment (battery, plugged in)? W7 can do the first, if you have a semi-recent laptop (Core 2 Duo on) then the CPU/BIOS/OS automatically does the latter. I dont fully understand Linux (read havent been able to use it long enough at once), but Im pretty decent at Windows. Hard to migrate when everything I do is Windows based, thats becoming less and less true with mobile OSs taking more of my time (Android, iOS), but not sure I want to have to mess around in a command prompt to get basic stuff done anymore. Ubuntu (and Im sure others) are getting close, but only once you can actually override root privileges and install non-certified apps without touching the console, then they will see more mainstream adoption. Thats my .02 anyway. :D

Chevy366
January 26th, 2012, 06:28 AM
FYI Erik , you can DL Winders8 Alpha Developer version . http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/br229518

I like a few people on here , can set in front of a Mac , Winders or Linux machine and do just about what ever I need or want .
Doesn't matter to me , they all work and all will do what I need . Just prefer Linux the most .

Chevy366
January 26th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Hmmm, wow, how'd they do that...?!?!

Pretty cool huh ?

ScarabEpic22
January 26th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Ive had W8 Dev Preview since day 1 it was released, have it in VirtualBox now. I like the explorer improvements, but honestly Metro isnt doing it for me (yet). Without a touch screen, I have absolutely no reason to actually partition my actual hard drive and install it natively. Plus since its still in pre-beta (post alpha) state, some drivers are hard to come by Ive heard. Im just going to wait a month for the public beta to be released then use it more then, Im not quite as ready to leave W7 as I was Vista ha.

Im probably better in OS X than Linux, still much better in a Windows environment. Now that I have my desktop up and running again Ill play with running OS X on it. Had it running in VB a few times but I want to see if I cant get it done without VB.

Chevy366
January 26th, 2012, 08:39 AM
When I use to use Winders , use to use "cmd" from Run and do ipconfig , flushdns , dxdiag , Dr. Watson , among other things so used cmd line in Winders as well , don't see the problem about cmd line (shell or terminal) stuff .

Linux is free and I can alter to suit my fancy , kind of like that aspect . Openness gives me a warm feeling inside . :mrgreen:

ScarabEpic22
January 26th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Thats true, but only at work did I usually have to use cmd prompt (aka all the time troubleshooting problems on other PCs), but at home I just want it to work without fussing with it. BTW, Dr. Watson doesnt exist on Windows Vista or W7, just lots of built in troubleshooters and Performance Monitoring Tools. :)

Im all about open source, I wish I had more time to play with Ubuntu (or Fedora, Red Hat would be my next ones). But Ill stick with Android as my open source OS for now...just waiting for ICS to hit most phones then Ill get a new one.

someguy
January 27th, 2012, 04:15 AM
You can do just about anything you want in Linux. The power saving scripts are all open and so is cpu throttling.

[quote]I dont fully understand Linux (read havent been able to use it long enough at once), but Im pretty decent at Windows. OK.

Hard to migrate when everything I do is Windows based, thats becoming less and less true with mobile OSs taking more of my time (Android, iOS), but not sure I want to have to mess around in a command prompt to get basic stuff done anymore. Ubuntu (and Im sure others) are getting close, but only once you can actually override root privileges and install non-certified apps without touching the console, then they will see more mainstream adoption. ???? Why would you want to override root privileges ? What do you mean by "non-certified" apps ? Not in the repositories ?

If people had any idea how well Linux works, particularly installing applications and maintenance, they would never resort to Windows.

Chevy366
January 27th, 2012, 05:17 AM
BTW, Dr. Watson doesnt exist on Windows Vista or W7, just lots of built in troubleshooters and Performance Monitoring Tools. :)

But Ill stick with Android as my open source OS for now...just waiting for ICS to hit most phones then Ill get a new one.

Really Erik , like I didn't know about Dr. Watson , come on bro .
And built in troubleshooters and performance monitors , WOW makes me want to switch to Winders for sure . And a huge NOT ! :mrgreen:

Please do yourself and Linux a favor , stick to Winders and sell your Android device and go buy a W7.5 Mango phone . :wave:

openSuse for me , if it is good enough for Linus Trovalds , its good enough for me . :mrgreen:

Not intended to cause anger or strife .

Chevy366
January 27th, 2012, 05:23 AM
You can do just about anything you want in Linux. The power saving scripts are all open and so is cpu throttling.

OK.

???? Why would you want to override root privileges ? What do you mean by "non-certified" apps ? Not in the repositories ?

If people had any idea how well Linux works, particularly installing applications and maintenance, they would never resort to Windows.

He (Erik) really doesn't know he is just repeating what he reads on the Internet in his Winders lovers forum . :laugh:
Not intended to anger or cause strife .

ScarabEpic22
January 27th, 2012, 06:04 AM

OK.

???? Why would you want to override root privileges ? What do you mean by "non-certified" apps ? Not in the repositories ?

Ok it pisses me off that to install the VirtualBox additions in a Linux VM that you have to get into the console and actually give the app root privileges. I know why its done this way, increased security, but its another step that when you're trying to get something done takes an extra minute or so.

My terminology isnt correct, but I meant apps that you have to go into the console to install. Not really "not-certified" I guess, more like "not-installer friendly". For diehard Linux guys you're ROFL right now and thats fine, but its a stark contrast to a few quick mouse clicks to install in Windows.

I agree, Ive only installed maybe 20 apps in Linux because I havent had the time to really dig into it. If you can come up with a flavor of Linux that installs every app without having to go into the console and you can do all the system config in a few mouse clicks in a GUI, you'll have flocks of people coming to Linux. Until then, those less tech-savvy aren't going to adopt it.

Really Erik , like I didn't know about Dr. Watson , come on bro .
And built in troubleshooters and performance monitors , WOW makes me want to switch to Winders for sure . And a huge NOT ! :mrgreen:

Please do yourself and Linux a favor , stick to Winders and sell your Android device and go buy a W7.5 Mango phone . :wave:

openSuse for me , if it is good enough for Linus Trovalds , its good enough for me . :mrgreen:

Not intended to cause anger or strife .

From our previous conversations I figured you did most of your work with XP, shouldnt have assumed that on a whim.

Have you used the performance monitor in W7? I havent touched Vista anything because, gasp it was solid for me (2 BSODs in 2 years, 1 RTM, 1 SP1), but spent a little time in it on W7 at my summer job tracking issues and performance problems. BTW the only BSODs Ive got in the last year have been from me fixing other peoples mistakes or core unlocking/overclocking testing on my new desktop. Or this dang SSD, wish Crucial would fix it going to sleep (known firmware problem).

Have you used Win 7 Phone (not even Mango, hear its even better)? My friends HTC runs about 1.5-2x as fast with the same hardware specs as my Droid X does on Froyo 2.3.3, mine lags like crazy going between screens whereas his is buttery smooth. Hopefully ICS fixes this (heard its supposed to with more processing offloaded to the GPU) plus better GPUs for the hardware side of things. Still, iOS and Win 7 Phone are much more refined than Android 2.3.x. Not as customizable or open source, but they work and when my friggin Droid X freezes and reboots itself 2x a day its frustrating as he|| (this is my 2nd one and its worse than my first one). I dont like that its this way, but you can compare specs and spout off whatever you want, at the end of the day WP7 and iOS work whereas Android needs some help.

For now Ill leave you and your beloved Linux alone, Torvalds is a genius and his contributions are significant, but when trying to get a job fresh out of college I dont have time to learn another OS. Rather learn another programming language like C# or Javascript.

He (Erik) really doesn't know he is just repeating what he reads on the Internet in his Winders lovers forum . :laugh:
Not intended to anger or cause strife .

Ouch man, and believe it or not Im not registered on any Windows forum. Just realized that myself ha.

1BadAction
March 27th, 2012, 10:58 PM
What the hell happened to this thread!?! :shock: :hihi:

Erik, the latest update completely fixed my DX, unfortunately it was about 3 weeks before I got my Droid Razr Maxx. The situation kind of chaps my ass but I have a feeling they aren't going to let another POS update out the door like that whole DX debacle. All the processing horsepower in the world doesn't fix a buggy OS, and the modest processing power that iOS (or mango, :shock: ) stuff needs to be fluid and responsive is a great example of what can be done with a clean operating system. I think ICS is extremely close.

joecar
March 28th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Hmmm, yeah, it took an interesting turn, but it seems good natured :)

ScarabEpic22
March 28th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I just re-read everything and I apologize for getting so up in arms about it.

My Droid X is still a POS and since its a X, I wont be getting ICS (at least an official release). Fully updated, have AVGs antivirus on it, have wiped it a few times, no dice. At this point Im beyond frustrated and in a few months Ill get a new phone (and it wont be a Motorola!).

(Side note- Spent some time installing and using Fedora, its a decent OS, but I still prefer Ubuntu and Lubuntu as a home end user. Fedora for testing RHEL is great, but I dont like it as a consumer OS at home.)

1BadAction
March 29th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Really, even with the latest update from just a few weeks ago? I wiped mine then installed that OTA and it works better than it did when it was on froyo.

1BadAction
March 29th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Version is 4.5.621...

ScarabEpic22
March 29th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Didnt get that update yet, installing it now and will report back. But why didnt mine prompt me to auto update? Arrgghh its the little things like this that drive me nuts lol.

1BadAction
March 29th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Mine didn't either. I was reading about something and noticed they were saying this new update was available, so I looked manually and there it was.

ScarabEpic22
March 29th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Updated a few minutes ago, cant say I notice anything different yet but time will tell. I might look into 3rd party ICS roms and see if I cant get ICS that way...hmmm.

1BadAction
March 30th, 2012, 12:44 AM
there's no real difference, the phone is just "fixed" - or at least mine was.

someguy
April 25th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I'm about to install my scanner on my Fedora 16 laptop via virtual box. What version of Windows should I install in VB ?

1BadAction
April 26th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I'm about to install my scanner on my Fedora 16 laptop via virtual box. What version of Windows should I install in VB ? I would use 7 if I did it on anything but a netbook, but XP worked fine for me.

I'm on winders 8 right now. :ermm: