PDA

View Full Version : Idle (Transition) Tuning

jfpilla
January 17th, 2005, 08:47 AM
The following assumes a reasonable tune has been done to the car. Here is a quick outline of my preferred method.
-Put back all stock airflow and timing values.
-Input the stock IFR values for stock injectors, or calculate new values aftermarket injectors.
-Put in A/F multiplier values(PE RPM), calculated to your preference. (ex.14.7/12.8 = 1.15 mult.)
-Work on VE's with the MAF zeroed. Bring the MAF back on line and adjust it for ltrims.
-Then do Idle Transition Tuning.

Idle transition tuning:
-Start with Ltrims reasonably negative and your Standing Idle is set where you are happy with it at all temps.
-If your VE's are off by 20% or more they need to be set. Auto tune works great and is suggested to get closer than 20%.

-Return all airflow tables to stock, except idle and idle airflow(RAF). This is so the car will idle. If you can return all the airflow tables to stock, go ahead.
-Log, IATc, ECTc, SAE MAFgms/s, GM IACDES_Bgms/s, DYNAIR.
Since you are in open loop when you first start the car, watch for your trims to show(closed loop) and your idle to settle to where it's set and start the tuning log.
Log while parked, from the coldest engine temperature to fully warmed.
Log for at least five minutes after warm up to get better averages and since this is the temperarture where problems are noticed.
-If it's an a4, log in gear with the A/C on. You may want to repeat this process in neutral later or just check to see if your RPM's stay up when driving and you put the car in neutral.
-If it's an M6 log in neutral.
-Input the logged MAF values into the Desired Airflow (raf) table, by temperature.
You want to get logged desiac and maf values close.
-For 90 mm TB for F-bodies move the Effective Area table values 6 places towards the higher values and leave the IAP values stock.
-For C5's and 90mm TB adjust the ETC B4349.
Adjusting TB area will help get Desiac and MAF gms closer.

When you have completed this process, MAF g/s, Desiac_B, MAF freq and DAF should be close in values. If DYNAIR and MAFgms are not close the MAF is likely not set right.
-Finally, timing will help idle and flare at start up, you should also check to see if the Airflow P/N is too high, by putting the car in neutral while coasting.
If you have EFI Pro you
can use BIDI Controls to test(SOP)timing changes, otherwise program
timing changes a little at a time. Make the changes in Base Spark in
Gear and Base Spark in Park/Neutral.
-Check, ltrims, AFR and adjust.
-When you change IFR's, MAF #'s, timing and airflow table values, the
trims are affected.
You will likely need to do some SOP tuning of DAF and spark. DAF may not line up with MAFgms. There are other Airflow tables like Throttle follower airflow that contribute. If you have used the MAF to get trims negative it will not match IACDESg/s by that %. BIDI is great for adjusting low rpm/cylair(spark) to get rid of that last little bit of surge.

This process will help eliminate, stalling, surging, false idle learn and unlearn, colds, headaches, etc.

There are some situations that make perfection a little harder.(Maybe impossible). Don't have knowledge past a G5X3.
-Really big cam. ex. Mine is a 230/595/112 in an a4 and tuning is easy.
-Long tubes that place the 02 sensors far back, which allow them to cool fast and take longer to heat up.
-Cold air intake, which causes rapid IAT changes.
-Any throttle body with a ridge that's been worked.*
-Descreened MAF/ not properly calibrated.
-Low rear gears(3.73 and lower) and a stock or almost stock stall converter.
-The tuners ability.

Don't look for perfection in the numbers, they do bounce around. If after you do this it idles and transitions well, be happy.

The following is from Nick Williams.

Process is the same for the F-body. You just have to make sure the IAC motor is within range to give the motor the air it wants. With a big cam car the IAC uses up alot of its range or all of it just to get enough air thru for idle on a cold start. Two ways to fix this. You can drill the hole in the blade out bigger or you can adjust the closed position set screw to open the blade more. Adjusting the screw will require a reset on the TPS to get it to read 0% at idle. The stock camaro that I have idles around 65 steps when hot. Use that as a target to determine how big of an adjustment to make. Once you have the IAC motor within range, then start trying to get the DESIAC gms/sec to match close to the MAF gms/sec.

Z16DNA
January 17th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Interesting system. Very soon I will install new cam 224/228 (not so radical) heads either AFR's or LS6 stage III's, and long tubes. I'll give your suggestions a try.

Thank you,
Kevin

Dirk Diggler
January 17th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Thank you for posting that.

Dirk Diggler
January 17th, 2005, 10:46 AM
And the million dollar question is

What if you dont have a maf. Can you just log DESIAC and put those values in folowing the steps above.

in this case i think you could use the dynamic air pid logged in gm/sec to replace the maf value, but i think this table is back calcualted from the ve table....

What about the lowly F-bodies :(

bink
January 17th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks Joe and Nick! :D

Now if this old guy can figure out the Maps....... :P

FWIW - my car runs much better with Nick's 90mm TB. My cam is 239/251 on a 106 lsa. Hell, It wouldn't even cruise below 2000 RPM before Nick's TB - AND Nick's and Joe's Tuning advice.
My prior TB was a ported LPE TB.

joel

Bruce Melton
January 17th, 2005, 11:59 AM
A great help!
Will try with my new LS2 intake and TB.
Thanks,
Bruce

GMPX
January 17th, 2005, 01:03 PM
My cam is 239/251 on a 106 lsa.

:D :D :D :D

jfpilla
January 17th, 2005, 01:18 PM

What if you dont have a maf. Can you just log DESIAC and put those values in folowing the steps above.

in this case i think you could use the dynamic air pid logged in gm/sec to replace the maf value, but i think this table is back calcualted from the ve table....
Good question, Dirk.
.............This was done to help people like myself who want to keep the MAF. There's a lot of info on LS1 Tech about mafless tuning, but not much done in an orderly fashion, for us Mafers.

What about the lowly F-bodies It would be nice if someone with an f-body would post the differences in tuning. It's almost the same, but I've never tuned an f-body and don't want to pass on what I've only heard.:(

Dirk Diggler
January 17th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Maybe this weekend i will fire her up and see if i can follow your guidlines. Good information none the less

jfpilla
January 17th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks Joe and Nick! :D

Now if this old guy can figure out the Maps....... :P

FWIW - my car runs much better with Nick's 90mm TB. My cam is 239/251 on a 106 lsa. Hell, It wouldn't even cruise below 2000 RPM before Nick's TB - AND Nick's and Joe's Tuning advice.
My prior TB was a ported LPE TB.

joel

You have mail.

John Skiba
January 17th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Thank you Joe.

jfpilla
January 17th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Maybe this weekend i will fire her up and see if i can follow your guidlines. Good information none the less

Nick's worked on f-bodies. He will post some info tomorrow.

Dirk Diggler
January 17th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Cool me likes :-)

TAQuickness
January 19th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Can you post screen shots of the MAPS you created? I'm having a brain fart kind of day and need a visual to get me going in the right direction

bink
January 20th, 2005, 12:53 AM
You have mail.

Thank you. :D

Bruce Melton
January 20th, 2005, 02:00 AM
What determines the transition from closed loop to WOT tune reference?

bink
January 20th, 2005, 08:51 AM
What determines the transition from closed loop to WOT tune reference?

MAP and TPS%.

Nick Williams
January 20th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Process is the same for the F-body. You just have to make sure the IAC motor is within range to give the motor the air it wants. With a big cam car the IAC uses up alot of its range or all of it just to get enough air thru for idle on a cold start. Two ways to fix this. You can drill the hole in the blade out bigger oryou can adjust the closed position set screw to open the blade more. Adjusting the screw will require a reset on the TPS to get it to read 0% at idle. The stock camaro that I have idles around 65 steps when hot. Use that as a target to determine how big of an adjustment to make. Once you have the IAC motor within range, then start trying to get the DESIAC gms/sec to match close to the MAF gms/sec.

jfpilla
January 21st, 2005, 05:37 AM
Thanks Nick, I've added your post to the original.

jfpilla
January 23rd, 2005, 06:32 AM

What about the lowly F-bodies :(

Dirk,
A good question. May not be worth a million, but good. I meant to give my .02 but forgot. It would seem to me that the Dynair pid would give the info you need. Isn't it's purpose for when the MAF sensor fails? I know it provides logged values when the MAF is disconnected or just 0'd. I went back and looked at those logs and the info looks consistant.
Joe

Dirk Diggler
January 23rd, 2005, 06:35 AM
Thanks again

launchn
January 23rd, 2005, 03:07 PM
jfpilla

I have a few questions about your Idle Tuning post.

1. What do you mean if the VE Tables are off by more than 20% they need to be set.

2. Input the logged MAF values into the idle airflow (raf) table, by temperature. How exactly is this accomplished?

3. Can you expand a little about this;

-Raise or lower idle airflow parked (IAC park ) values.
You want to match logged desiac and maf values.
This is done within each IAT range. You will need to watch Desiac and Maf results in Dash f10.
Raising/lowering IAP raises/lowers desiac.

These questions are just a start but should get me going.

Thanks.

jfpilla
January 23rd, 2005, 05:14 PM
jfpilla

I have a few questions about your Idle Tuning post.

1. What do you mean if the VE Tables are off by more than 20% they need to be set.

2. Input the logged MAF values into the idle airflow (raf) table, by temperature. How exactly is this accomplished?

3. Can you expand a little about this;

-Raise or lower idle airflow parked (IAC park ) values.
You want to match logged desiac and maf values.
This is done within each IAT range. You will need to watch Desiac and Maf results in Dash f10.
Raising/lowering IAP raises/lowers desiac.

These questions are just a start but should get me going.

Thanks.

To steal a recommendation by Bink:
"If you want an excellent Tuning education then do an "Advanced Search" on LS1Tech. Search the "PCM Section" for ALL posts by NoGo . You will find a Tuning library of factual info by the MAN - it's fantastic that LS1Tech has archived all of their stuff!"

What you're asking gets complicated and really, you need some background first.

What mods does your car have and what issues are you trying to resolve?

launchn
January 24th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Right now I'm completely stock. I have a set of heads out getting worked and am looking at the G5X3. I wanted to have the tuning understood before I change these out. So far, one of the best step by steps that I have found is this post by NoGo.

http://www.ls1tuning.com/iboard/index.php?showtopic=9

launchn
January 27th, 2005, 10:14 AM
To steal a recommendation by Bink:
"If you want an excellent Tuning education then do an "Advanced Search" on LS1Tech. Search the "PCM Section" for ALL posts by NoGo . You will find a Tuning library of factual info by the MAN - it's fantastic that LS1Tech has archived all of their stuff!"

What you're asking gets complicated and really, you need some background first.

What mods does your car have and what issues are you trying to resolve?

This has turned out to be excelent advise. I must say though my head hurts. I have basically taken all week to read through all of this and copy alot of valuable info into a document for later use.

I have been able to answer all the questions that I had. I read through your post again and can follow it all the way through.

The other HUGE breakthrough that I had was taking the time to play with some of the MAPs the EFILive can create. I can't stress how powerfull these are going to be for tuning. Right off the bat I made one for Knock Retard and one for VE (for later). For those that havent used the MAP feature, get into it!

jfpilla
January 27th, 2005, 12:02 PM
You're inspired. I have a feeling it will turn out well. Let us know how it goes and there will likely be some questions.

bink
February 6th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Bah-duh-bump!

Dirk Diggler
February 26th, 2005, 08:17 AM
TTT. I think this needs to be a sticky before it gets buried

johnsZ06
March 29th, 2005, 12:49 AM
I'm beginning to see the light! :lol:

TAQuickness
April 24th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Just wanted to add a couple of cents to this awesome thread.

Jfpilla spent a lot of time helping me out with this. I performed the procedure over and over and I was never able to get my IACDES_B to match DYNAIR. The car idles good (not great) and still bucked like a bronco under 2k RPM's.

A couple of days ago, P Mack on LS1Tech made a post in regards to modifying the IAC Effective Area (B4403) table. Link http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309671. I performed these steps, in conjuntion with Jfpilla's write up, and in 30 minutes, my car idles like stock, except for the pleasant loping sound.

After you have performed the idle transition tuning, you will need to shift the cells in the B4403 table down until your IACDES_B matches DYNAIR.
On a stock Fbod, the 12mm^2 is the value that the IAC motor starts to step. After I was done, I had shifted the cells down to 28mm^2.

jfpilla
April 27th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Just wanted to add a couple of cents to this awesome thread.

Jfpilla spent a lot of time helping me out with this. I performed the procedure over and over and I was never able to get my IACDES_B to match DYNAIR. The car idles good (not great) and still bucked like a bronco under 2k RPM's.

A couple of days ago, P Mack on LS1Tech made a post in regards to modifying the IAC Effective Area (B4403) table. Link http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309671. I performed these steps, in conjuntion with Jfpilla's write up, and in 30 minutes, my car idles like stock, except for the pleasant loping sound.

After you have performed the idle transition tuning, you will need to shift the cells in the B4403 table down until your IACDES_B matches DYNAIR.
On a stock Fbod, the 12mm^2 is the value that the IAC motor starts to step. After I was done, I had shifted the cells down to 28mm^2.

TA glad you've solved it. Bet you like your car again. :D I read the thread you mention. It does sound like a good additional step to tuning.

TAQuickness
April 28th, 2005, 07:57 AM
TA glad you've solved it. Bet you like your car again. :D I read the thread you mention. It does sound like a good additional step to tuning.

You'd win that bet

jfpilla
June 5th, 2005, 12:13 PM

You'd win that bet

TA thanks for the information. A number of good tuners have tried this and had good results. I made a change to the tuning instructions.

bink
July 1st, 2005, 03:34 PM
Joe - Finally got my car back on the road! Moved the IAC Eff Area down 6 places (14 mm sq -> 26 mm sq). Runs great. Idles very well. DFCO is back to stock. I actually cruised in 6th gear at 1500 - 1600 rpm. :D

Thanks for the Help!
Have a safe and happy 4th (hope you and yours are boating)!!

Cheers,
joel

jfpilla
July 5th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Joel,
Glad it works for you. So far it has for everyone I know that's tried it.
I can't wait to try this new stuff. ie: effective area, autotune. With the downtime, I had my WB tuned up, so that should help. I've been promised my car by monday. Now I'm anxious.
Joe

Z16DNA
July 26th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Advise please. I believe I've followed the instuctions above for Idle Transition Tuning, but when I adjust IAP to match my DESIAC and MAF result is always a .5 differance with IAT at 53C. I've tried adjusting IAP for 60C and 40C range. Large movements in either direction, no change. Differance between DESIAC and MAF map values at ECT 92C remain the same. I've got to be missing something - easy...

Kevin

TAQuickness
July 26th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Z16 - are you running a large cam?

Z16DNA
July 27th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Slightly above average size. Comp Cams 228/232 114 +4 Plan to install SC in future - do you hear me Mrs. Santa Clause?

TAQuickness
July 27th, 2005, 07:38 AM
You may need to move your IAC Effective area table down a bit. That was the only way I could get my numbers corresond.

bink
July 28th, 2005, 01:52 AM
I had a nagging, persistent problem with Idle. 2001 Vette. 239/251 cam. 90 mm TB, Fast intake and headers.
The electronic throttle idle would periodically learn downward 4-5 g/sec and 4-5 % TPS. It would drop the TPS from 11-13% to 6-7% and Desired airflow from 11-12 g/sec to 6-7g/sec. It was driving me nuts!!

Added air for the fans -B4301, B4302 (.75/1.50 g/sec).

Added air to the "Idle Learn AC Limit High Table"- B4326 (4.00 g/sec)

I had already increased my "Idle Learn Drive Limit High"- B4324 (3.00 g/sec).

Problem is cured!!
FWIW.

Z16DNA
July 28th, 2005, 04:41 AM
I moved the IAC Effective area table down 4 places. Decel to Idle at(800rpm) allows the car to settle within a few swings between 600rpm and 900rpm. Once settled idle is really quite steady. Oh, added bonus with AC on car dies when almost stopped, stationary.

I'm excited to try bink posted idea's tonight. I've also read up on Throttle Cracker information; its unclear, so far, how that affects an ETC car like my Vette. The learning continues, thank you for all the information.

Kevin

jfpilla
July 28th, 2005, 05:21 AM
I moved the IAC Effective area table down 4 places. Decel to Idle at(800rpm) allows the car to settle within a few swings between 600rpm and 900rpm. Once settled idle is really quite steady. Oh, added bonus with AC on car dies when almost stopped, stationary.

I'm excited to try bink posted idea's tonight. I've also read up on Throttle Cracker information; its unclear, so far, how that affects an ETC car like my Vette. The learning continues, thank you for all the information.

Kevin

Suggest you try moving Effective Area 2 more places first. It sounds like the throttle blade is still searching a little.
Have you logged desiac and maf gms to see if they are close after having made the change.
Also, try timing, base spark in gear and park/neutral, using BI-D controls.

Z16DNA
July 28th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Thank you, I will try jfpilla additional suggestions also tonight. My lastest maf/iacdes results are as follows:

32 44 56 68 80 92 ETC
(-2.44) (0) (-.19) (.17) (.24) (.13) Morning Run IAT 25-43C:

56 68 80 92 ETC
(-1.85) (-.19) (.09) (-.19) Lunch Run IAT 40-48C:

Are these stable enough to use as actual measurements? And do they look reasonable?

Thank you,

BowlingSS
August 17th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Thank you, I will try jfpilla additional suggestions also tonight. My lastest maf/iacdes results are as follows:

32 44 56 68 80 92 ETC
(-2.44) (0) (-.19) (.17) (.24) (.13) Morning Run IAT 25-43C:

56 68 80 92 ETC
(-1.85) (-.19) (.09) (-.19) Lunch Run IAT 40-48C:

Are these stable enough to use as actual measurements? And do they look reasonable?

Thank you,

How did it go with the changes?
Bill

Z16DNA
August 19th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Bill, Sorry for the slow response. When car is warm ECT 190F and up, it idles fine. Up to the point it won't idle on it's own. I was thinking to use the new Idle PID's, but it doesn't appear they work on an ETC controlled vehicle. Autocrossed the car this last weekend, it runs great on the track. AFR's need a small amount of tweeking, but thats because I'm trying to be a perfectionist. Just can't seem to get this idle working correctly yet. Thank you for your information.

BowlingSS
September 2nd, 2005, 02:44 AM
Bill, Sorry for the slow response. When car is warm ECT 190F and up, it idles fine. Up to the point it won't idle on it's own. I was thinking to use the new Idle PID's, but it doesn't appear they work on an ETC controlled vehicle. Autocrossed the car this last weekend, it runs great on the track. AFR's need a small amount of tweeking, but thats because I'm trying to be a perfectionist. Just can't seem to get this idle working correctly yet. Thank you for your information.

I though I read they now work with the ETC. ANy news yet.

Bill
:D

jfpilla
September 2nd, 2005, 07:25 AM

I though I read they now work with the ETC. ANy news yet.

Bill

I edited the idle transition writeup and wrote what I've found so far(see the link). What it enables us to do is line up maf g/s, desiac, maf freq, iaf and iap. I don't know what is the right value for ETC, if there is one for a moded car. The LS2 Pontiac uses .0365. I tried it, but could not get the tables to respond well. So far .0330 has worked best for me, as far as the tables lining up and very little learning over time.
http://efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14728#14728

Z16DNA
September 3rd, 2005, 12:10 AM
"Idle tuning" one of my projects today. First I'll re-verify what I've done so far, next reread idle tuning postings. My idle tuneing PID's work and I'm able to log Idle Calc. Logged then transferred data to new .tun. Logged again and got same data (offsets)? Like I said I should re-read postings to verify my actions. I'm looking into custom OS. I'd like V3 but only V2 is avail for my OS, as far as I can see. E-mail sent to Ross to see if I can get V3. Idle tuning is difficult, but I'm learning sooooo much. I'll report back what I find today.

GMPX
September 3rd, 2005, 12:57 AM
I'm looking into custom OS. I'd like V3 but only V2 is avail for my OS, as far as I can see. E-mail sent to Ross to see if I can get V3.

For others that are interested, 04 C5 and Trucks should be ready by mid next week.
Why did GM use two different OS's for the C5, trucks and CTS-V's?? I have no idea, but it makes for about 5 or 6 that need to be done just for 2004 models :?

Cheers,
Ross

BowlingSS
September 16th, 2005, 02:52 AM
"Idle tuning" one of my projects today. First I'll re-verify what I've done so far, next reread idle tuning postings. My idle tuneing PID's work and I'm able to log Idle Calc. Logged then transferred data to new .tun. Logged again and got same data (offsets)? Like I said I should re-read postings to verify my actions. I'm looking into custom OS. I'd like V3 but only V2 is avail for my OS, as far as I can see. E-mail sent to Ross to see if I can get V3. Idle tuning is difficult, but I'm learning sooooo much. I'll report back what I find today.

Now we have more Idle PIDS to log. That's FUN... It should help us without a MAF.

Bill

Z16DNA
September 16th, 2005, 03:38 AM
Just in time for the weekend. Love it. Doesn't look like Ross was able to get '04 OS V3 done yet. I'll play with new stuff and see what helps. Actually I was at Sears Point last week and discovered if both cooling fans are running my idle W/O Air Cond is great. I could take sum of B4301, and B4302 and add to ? B4307?

bink
September 16th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Just in time for the weekend. Love it. Doesn't look like Ross was able to get '04 OS V3 done yet. I'll play with new stuff and see what helps. Actually I was at Sears Point last week and discovered if both cooling fans are running my idle W/O Air Cond is great. I could take sum of B4301, and B4302 and add to ? B4307?

I could be wrong ..but... I think the B4302 is the sum of B4301 and the Second Fan. Seems to work this way on my Z06.

or B4302 - B4301 = 2nd Fan's Airflow compensation.

If I'm correct then you should add the B4302 value to B4307.

Cheers,
joel

Z16DNA
September 16th, 2005, 07:26 AM
B4301 is Fan #1 IAC correction, B4302 is Fan #2 IAC correction. I agree with you, B4302 should be added to B4307 at ECT temp. Can't wait to try this.

BowlingSS
September 30th, 2005, 03:12 AM
We need a good write-up on setting up and tuning with all the new PIDs.

Bill

bink
October 8th, 2005, 04:26 PM
I've now tried many different values for {B4349} ETC Throttle Area Conversion. I've tried values from .0191 to .0330 ( Joe's value) .

All else left static, and B4308- Idle Airflow Parked = stock values ( changing only B4349), the scanned DESIAC_B values decrease as the B4349 value increase. So, fewer steps for the same amount of airflow - bigger steps I guess.

My car seems to run the best at B4349 = .0320.

With B4349 = .0320 the "DESIAC_B" g/sec lined up with my "IAC-Warmed Up Airflow in Gear" g/sec and "IAC- Final Airflow Sum" g/sec.

Cheers,
joel

Black02SS
October 8th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Sent you a PM bink.

jfpilla
October 9th, 2005, 08:30 AM
[quote="bink"]I've now tried many different values for {B4349} ETC Throttle Area Conversion. I've tried values from .0191 to .0330 ( Joe's value) .

Not any more, Joel. Since I had changed the cam, I thought I might do a little VE tuning. I did it up to 2800 rpms, today. I had to change the DAF values and found 320 ETC worked for me also. I need a 50 mile or so highway drive to be sure of the tune, but they seem to hold up well.

bink
October 9th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Not any more, Joel. Since I had changed the cam, I thought I might do a little VE tuning. I did it up to 2800 rpms, today. I had to change the DAF values and found 320 ETC worked for me also. I need a 50 mile or so highway drive to be sure of the tune, but they seem to hold up well.

Joe, I drove about 150 miles this afternoon - Idle held up very well. I have a little decel surging just below 2000 RPM ....but otherwise an excellent tune.
My VE needs to be cleaned up also ( running MAFLESS now) - that may be contributing to the surging problem?

Finally! Cooler weather here. :D

Cheers,
joel

jfpilla
October 23rd, 2005, 06:12 AM

Joe, I drove about 150 miles this afternoon - Idle held up very well. I have a little decel surging just below 2000 RPM ....but otherwise an excellent tune.
My VE needs to be cleaned up also ( running MAFLESS now) - that may be contributing to the surging problem?

Finally! Cooler weather here. :D

Cheers,
joel

Sorry, did not see the ? . VE tuning does help. It did for me but, I get a little surge at 1200 rpm's with the TC locked. I can get rid of it if I create some cruise. I don't want cruise. I suspect that your cam needs revs and will surge at some level, in gear. I should add that I run the MAF, so my trims adjust for not perfect VE's and IAT changes.
Joe

bink
November 5th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Thanks Joe!

Update - SD Tune. 90 mm NW TB.

B4349 ETC set at .0320.

I reduced my AC Ramp In and Ramp Out values by 25%. I reduced AC TQ Loss and AC TQ Loss by IAT by 25%. This has corrected the Short Term Idle Airflow Trims from swinging -0.30 -> -.050. They now are slighty positive and aren't adversely effecting the Long Term Trim.

I'm going to go run some hills for BEN!

Cheers,
joel

94SS
January 1st, 2006, 01:14 PM
Is there anyway to tune out the RPM drop condition you get when shift from Park to Reverse on a A4 it is like a 300 RPM drop and it recovers quickly?

ringram
January 1st, 2006, 11:57 PM
Yeah Id check out the idle tuning and transition stickies. You might need to do some logging and tweaking in the desired air flow IAC parked etc tables.

You can certainly tune it out no problem.

bink
January 5th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Is there anyway to tune out the RPM drop condition you get when shift from Park to Reverse on a A4 it is like a 300 RPM drop and it recovers quickly?

Email GMPX or post up. There use to be a thread/quiz on this - with the anawer!

Cheers,
joel

Tordne
January 5th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Email GMPX or post up. There use to be a thread/quiz on this - with the anawer!

Cheers,
joel

Think this is the thread http://efiforum.iqd.co.nz/showthread.php?t=737

bink
January 9th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Think this is the thread http://efiforum.iqd.co.nz/showthread.php?t=737

That's it!! Thanks!

Cheers,
joel

ws6togo
January 9th, 2006, 03:58 PM
What is the very first step a new guy should do? One of the first comments in this post is that a resonable tune be done. Should I just use one of the stock pcm tun files and flash my ECU or should I try to work the current ECU files? Kinda need a starting point. Does anyone have a decent range of what each of the PIDs should be? Sorry to sound so new....BUT I AM.:help2: