PDA

View Full Version : Leaning towards EFI Live, have some ?s

MonteLSx
December 17th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I am new to tuning and was very close to purchasing HPT. Over the past few days I have been reading more and more posts and am thinking of going EFI. This board has tons of info I need to go through, and I just downloaded the software to try.

I am building an 07 LY6 motor for my Monte SS, nothing radical yet and also have an 00 Silverado. The original plan was to go HPT because they have a package with The Tuning School which looks great for my newb skill level. Does EFI have any online/textbook type programs for the DIY guy at home? I don't need to do much on the truck, going with bigger tires and a gear change soon but figured I could log some of the truck info to get used to what I am looking at before I try to tackle the motor for the Monte where I would be starting from scratch.

Also have to read up more on the roadrunner ecu, looks to be pretty neat but not sure if a newb like myself should learn the basics.

WeathermanShawn
December 17th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Montel:

Welcome to the forum.

Ultimately what tuning software package you go with will have to be your decision. Granted the masses (forum-wise) appear to be with HPT. But, this forum has a variety of talented individuals who tend to be be very helpful and responsive.

In terms of learning materials, most of the EFILive Tutorials described numerous tuning topics. A lot of HPT is classic-type tuning information, while EFILive has a variety of innovative and custom tuning material.

I utilize the RoadRunner PCM. Personally, I think it is a perfect tool for a beginner. Nothing beats making tuning changes instantaneously while on the road (safely).

So, yes you will get some 'biased' views on this board in regards to your decision. I don't get compensated for my endorsement however..:grin:..so good luck either way!

Taz
December 17th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Manuals and Tutorials were probably downloaded to C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Doc - there should be a about a dozen *.pdf files.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
When I first started with EFILive I printed these out, and organized them in a binder - it's about 6 inches thick !! I still use it frequently ... also worthwhile to invest the time in reading them all ... just to fully understand the scope of the software.<o:p></o:p>
I don’t use the RoadRunner - but I believe it is only compatible with Gen III controllers, and not with your two Gen IV engines.<o:p></o:p>
Give the AutoVE tutorial a thorough read - it applies to Gen III controllers, but the principles are fairly universal.<o:p></o:p>
Swingtan, one of our Forum members, wrote an excellent VVE tutorial - which would be applicable to your Gen IV controllers. I have attached this below.<o:p></o:p>
Regards,<o:p></o:p>
Taz

MonteLSx
December 17th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Thanks!

I plan on keeping the VVT on my motor for now and recall seeing EFI can handle that. I also recall seeing issues with disabling VATS in EFI but there was a patch out that fixed that issue. Like I said, I have a lot more reading to do and will mess with the software this weekend. I know there was a real high rated book for HPT from Masport and they are supposedly wrapping up a book for EFI Live. Sounds like something I need to get my hands on ASAP :)

MonteLSx
December 17th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Thanks Taz, will do.

joecar
December 17th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Hi Monte welcome to the forum :cheers:

The warning regarding VVT can be ignored as long as you take VVT into account during tuning...

See these threads:
showthread.php?14691-What-do-you-do-with-VVT-when-modifying-the-Virtual-VE-Table (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14691-What-do-you-do-with-VVT-when-modifying-the-Virtual-VE-Table)
showthread.php?14782-Can-EFI-Live-be-used-to-tune-VVE-with-a-L92-VVT-engine (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14782-Can-EFI-Live-be-used-to-tune-VVE-with-a-L92-VVT-engine)

joecar
December 17th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Regarding the learning material:
whether the material references HPT or EFILive is not really an issue... HPT and EFILive differ (user interface and tables transposed), but the tuning procedures/concepts are the same... if you know how to tune using HPT you know how to tune using EFILive (and JET DST and TunerPro and any other tuning software...).

Some of those courses are expensive (and the Tuning School has two levels).

Dan at Masport has been getting an EFILive version of the book published, I don't know if it's ready yet (I guess it takes a while to get everything organized and negotiated with the publisher).

Tuning revolves mainly around these 2 "things":
- getting the injector tables correct,
- getting the VE and MAF tables correct;

there are other "things" like axle gear swap, fan settings, automatic transmission tuning, and a few others.

Follow the links in my sig for more info.

MonteLSx
December 17th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Yup, that is the book I was looking at.

Thanks, will go through your links.

joecar
December 17th, 2010, 05:20 AM
HPT and EFILive do the same things...

from comments I've heard/read: EFILive user interface is considered "advanced" while the HPT user interface is considered "simpler"... I don't know what that really means, but it is easier to refer to specific tables using the EFILive table ids (the EFILive software allows searching/locating for tables using table id numbers).

[ EFILive does has have a few extra features (V2 interface LCD displays real time data during logging, stores log to SD card, connects to wideband via serial comms interface) ]

MonteLSx
December 17th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Wow, there is a lot of info in those links. Time to get reading.

Yeah, that is why I first looked at HPT because most message boards made it seem it was a little less advanced which would fit me perfectly.