PDA

View Full Version : RR Loses VIN and CASE and OLM after losing power?

N0DIH
December 17th, 2010, 02:48 AM
My RR will lose VIN, CASE and OLM (Oil Life Monitor status) if I remove battery power from it. Does anyone else see that?

Is my battery dead?

Been doing it for a while now, darn annoying. Sometimes the car will do some sort of a reset and it will lose it too.

mr.prick
December 17th, 2010, 08:29 AM
When my RR's internal battery failed it needed a full flash it to be able to start the engine.

N0DIH
December 17th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Not having problems there, just if power is removed (if you take the PCM out of the car, or battery disc, etc) CASE/VIN/OLM get blown away.

When my RR's internal battery failed it needed a full flash it to be able to start the engine.

Highlander
January 2nd, 2011, 03:16 AM
Replace the battery and see how it goes... When my RR had a dying battery it acted extremely weird.

driver456
January 8th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Where do you get a battery for the RR?

N0DIH
January 8th, 2011, 05:48 AM
moates.com

Where do you get a battery for the RR?

Highlander
January 8th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Radio Shack
Walgreens
Walmart

N0DIH
January 8th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Not unless you know how to solder onto the battery and being lithium, I would NOT recommend it... The RR something like a CR2032 with 3 pins welded on to it.

Radio Shack
Walgreens
Walmart

driver456
January 8th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Thanks,Yea the battery has 3 legs on it.I check the volts on mine,And it was at 2.89 volts,So it still seems to be good.

N0DIH
January 27th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Found my problem. I was using a .bin directly from GM, and it didn't have the VIN, ESN or CASE Learn programmed in at all. So even though I programmed them in, if I didn't do a read, I never saw them and reloaded the blanked data. But the VIN and CASE were stored still somehow, ESN just stayed blank, it isn't used in my application. I just rarely READ the RR back out.

I was able to force CASE and VIN back in properly with EmUtility. Was rather stubborn about it too... Mine's a 2000 L67.

sreve
February 1st, 2011, 06:47 AM
Quote: I was able to force CASE and VIN back in properly with EmUtility

What is the advantage of using EmUtility vs the RR control panel?
I was not even aware of it. Does the verify file get rid of errors?

I never could do a case learn and thought it was not stored per this old thread:

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?8969-CASE-Learn-on-a-RR

N0DIH
February 1st, 2011, 07:02 AM
I don't use EFILive yet for RR tuning, will get the license soon, but until...

I use Tunercat and EMUtility. Tunercat and EMUtility both pull the entire .bin from the PCM, but when Tunercat flashes back, it only flashes back the .cal unless you select a Full Flash or Recovery Flash and then it does all except the "protected" area, which is where CASE and the VIN is stored. If you use EFILive you can't see it. I don't know how EFIlive does the read and flashing.

So my problems were I was flashing the RR and then never doing a read to see what it got back. So even if I did a CASE Learn or VIN reprogram, I never saw it because I never pulled the file back out. I had always thought the VIN and CASE learn were stored in E^2 "e-squared" ram in the processor itself.

Quote: I was able to force CASE and VIN back in properly with EmUtility

What is the advantage of using EmUtility vs the RR control panel?
I was not even aware of it. Does the verify file get rid of errors?

I never could do a case learn and thought it was not stored per this old thread:

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?8969-CASE-Learn-on-a-RR

N0DIH
February 1st, 2011, 07:12 AM
I don't know if the RR gets any CASE or VIN saved to it, never looked to see, I just pulled my original .bin file from the archives and found that I had CASE/VIN/OLM saved in it. Used EMUtility to send to the RR, and all has been fine since.

I think this says it best:

If your existing PCM had valid CASE learn data, when you read the *.tun file from your PCM, the CASE learn data is stored in the *.tun file.

(You can always put your existing PCM back in the vehicle and do the CASE learn, set the VIN, BCC, oil life etc., then read out the PCM to get a "valid" copy of the CASE data.)

If you full-flash that *.tun file into your RR then the CASE data (along with all the other non-volatile data) will be copied into the RR. A RR full-flash is very different to a normal PCM full flash, in that it writes the CASE data, the VIN, the serial number, the BCC, the oil life, everything. A normal full-flash will leave all that data undisturbed in the target PCM.

So to program all the non-volatile data such as CASE data, the VIN, the serial number, the BCC, the oil life etc, you should:

Read the *.tun file from the RR to save your RR's current calibrations.
Do a full flash of the RR with the valid *.tun file from the original PCM from the host vehicle.\, which will program the CASE data, VIN, BCC etc into RR's RAM chip so that the PCM can read it and use it whenever it needs to - including at ignition cycles and battery cycles.
Do a cal-only flash using the file saved in step 1 which will restore the RR's calibrations, leaving the CASE data, VIN, BCC etc saved in the RR's RAM memory in step 2, untouched.

Regards
Paul

sreve
February 1st, 2011, 12:53 PM
Quote: I use Tunercat and EMUtility. Tunercat and EMUtility both pull the entire .bin from the PCM, but when Tunercat flashes back, it only flashes back the .cal unless you select a Full Flash or Recovery Flash and then it does all except the "protected" area, which is where CASE and the VIN is stored. If you use EFILive you can't see it. I don't know how EFIlive does the read and flashing.

Ok i got it you have regular TC the Moates stuff works alot like EmUtility. I'm going to have to play with that File verify.

N0DIH
February 1st, 2011, 02:44 PM
Emutility is a very simple program to dump a .bin into a RR. It can also monitor a .bin for changes too and autoupdate. Simple tool.