PDA

View Full Version : Need to unlock my PCM

ries
December 22nd, 2010, 06:27 AM
Heres the deal. Im in the military and had the car tuned in NC a few years back. Bought a V2 about a week ago so I could stop wasting my time and money on taking the car to someone else to tune it. Plus I wanna go FI (turbo) and will eventually go to a cos and Id like to know that the tune is good and not hacked up or half a$$ed. My problem now is that I went to start on tinkering with my tune but I cant even read the PCM. I get this message

"Script exited with code $0537: Controller is locked with a custom key"

So now what do I do? Who can unlock the PCM? Ive tried contacting the previous tuner but have had no luck with a reply. Is it as easy as getting the "custom key" and putting it in to unlock the PCM? I really cant afford to send the PCM somewhere to have it unlocked because I drive the car daily to and from work...How much would someone charge me to do this if it was my last resort? Any help would be great. TIA

Chris

Chalky
December 22nd, 2010, 05:16 PM
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14920-Looking-to-unlock-E38-ECM-flashed-with-HP-Tuners&p=134539#post134539

GMPX
December 23rd, 2010, 12:43 AM
Chris, you could also get another PCM. You could pick up a used 2001 PCM for $30 - $50 easy, then just hope it wasn't locked too.

ries
January 6th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Chris, you could also get another PCM. You could pick up a used 2001 PCM for $30 - $50 easy, then just hope it wasn't locked too.

If I purchase a used PCM can I flash the PCM to my vin? Or do I/should I leave it whatever vin the PCM comes with? Will it effect anything if I do leave it the old vin? If I do change the vin will I be using up 2 credits? ie: One credit to read and change it from old vin to my vin and then another credit to continue tuning with my vin. Hopefully this makes sense and someone could explain how this works in lamens terms...Im probably overcomplicating this.

Thanks
Chris

joecar
January 6th, 2011, 08:19 PM
You can change the VIN on the PCM using the scantool using no licenses.

You will still need 1 license to flash this PCM.

ries
January 8th, 2011, 07:53 AM
You can change the VIN on the PCM using the scantool using no licenses.

You will still need 1 license to flash this PCM.

Thanks for the info

Chris