PDA

View Full Version : How to tune for a cam

smokin6.5l
December 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM
hey guys i need some help tuning for my cam that i just installed in my 2002 chevy 2500HD with the 8.1L v8 the cam is a comp cams xr270HR. i am going to upload a tune and my logged data for some advice to help me out or point me in the right direction. any info is very much appreciated as i have posted this on many sites with very little responses.

Taz
December 30th, 2010, 04:29 PM
The answers are the same as they were the last time you posted …

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14959-need-help!!!!

Please read the AutoVE and CalcVE tutorials. These would have been downloaded to your computer with the EFILive software – probably to C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Doc. In this directory you will find the Tune Tool manual, Scan Tool manual, and about a dozen *.pdf Tutorials.

Also, there are also numerous threads on this Forum that discuss – step by step – what you are trying to do.

After some self-education, if you at least attempt the AutoVE or CalcVE exercise, and at that point you come back to the Forum with questions, members are more likely to respond.

I know you don’t yet have a wideband O2. You can probably adjust the lower RPM / load portion of your tune reasonably well using the CalcVE method. A wideband O2 is really a necessary and indispensible tool to an accurate tune.

Regards,
Taz

smokin6.5l
December 31st, 2010, 09:39 AM
i read them and im having trouble making the pids i dont know how to create a pid

WeathermanShawn
December 31st, 2010, 10:03 AM
Smokin:

I really am not that familiar with your vehicle and OS, so I may not be much help either.

Is it just computer applications that is giving you fits on the PID, or conceptually how to tune a cammed vehicle? What Pid are you referring to?

A few notes on your Tune & Log. I see you are running closed-loop with MAF-Enabled. Thats a lot of channels (Pids) you are logging. Most of us keep it to 24 channels or less depending on OS.

I see no wideband..:confused:..Also your LTFT's are very negative. You might look into the CALC.VE Table threads/Tutorials for adjusting the MAF via LTFTBENS. Joecar and myself just worked a fellow member through a similar situation this last week.

Also I noticed 3.8 degrees of KR. Thats where the wideband will help out.

Cammed vehicles usually need more Desired Airflow, modifications to the MAF and VE Table, and Spark. Do you have your Idle nailed down yet?

Plenty of online threads/Tutorials. The forum is pretty slow this time of year. I have written a few Tutorials on Idle and CALC.VE (co-authored). Let us know what is hanging you up and we will try to help you if possible...

joecar
December 31st, 2010, 01:26 PM
For the tutorial pdf and calc pids, see post # 169: showthread.php?13152-New-Tuning-Tutorial-WeathermanShawn&p=120121 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?13152-New-Tuning-Tutorial-WeathermanShawn&p=120121&viewfull=1#post120121)

Just follow Shawn's tutorial, it shows how to create maps...

and use the calc_pids.txt (copy it to My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration).

smokin6.5l
January 1st, 2011, 08:02 AM
The truck starts just fine when it is cold and it will keep running and not shut off. But when its been running awhile and i go to restart it it will start up right away but it will shut off almost as fast as it is started up.So when its warm i have to give it throttle to keep it running and slowly drop the idle and it will stay running that way. After it is running it seems to run just fine it just doesnt like to stay running when started warm. The reason i am running with the MAF on is becuase im not sure how to turn it off without unplugging the damn thing. I have looked at the CALC_VE Tables tuturial and they are kinda confusing to me, so any help here would be appreciated too.

WeathermanShawn
January 1st, 2011, 08:37 AM
While the Calc.VE Table is written at a beginner's level, it really sounds like you might have just started your 'self-education' on tuning.

Even before I began tuning I read as many books, threads, and forums as possible. I spent over two months reading before I even posted on this forum. You should at least try the CALC.VE Table method. It is really very easy. Then post up your Tune & Log if you run into difficulties.

If you find you are running into 'computer applications' problems, review all the EFILive Scan and Tune Tutorials. Try just one thing at a time.

I don't know what else to advise. The more you try to accomplish on your own, the more you learn. Otherwise you can start with a mail-order tune through an accomplished Vendor.

Have you tried anything yet on your own?

smokin6.5l
January 1st, 2011, 10:51 AM
well i will re read the calc ve table and i will do some more data logging i am a beginner but i have written a couple tunes already its not that and if i have any troubles i will re post here and i when i am done data logging and trying to figure out a tune i will post it up and see what you guys think of it

smokin6.5l
January 11th, 2011, 04:54 PM
ok so i had some time to do some data logging and some tuning with my truck this weekend and this is what i came up with i have attached my log info and my tuning file that i am running for now it seems to work okay but if someone could look at them and give me some advise that would be appreciated

WeathermanShawn
January 11th, 2011, 10:54 PM
smokin:

It looks O.K., except you did not do the necessary PIDs for the CALC.VE Table to compute.

I have attached the PIDS that are shown in the Tutorial. Do not exceed 24 channels! Why are you logging so much?

1. You need LTFTBENS.
2. You need DYNAIRTMP.DMA

I assume you do not have a wideband?

Smokin, you really need to follow the Tutorial. The Pid selection is crucial. You don't have any CALC.VE Values to comment on.

Otherwise a few comments on your Tune and Log. On the positive side it does appear your overall LTFT's are good. KR is minimal. On the negative side it looks like you have maxed out your injectors at a relatively low RPM..100% at 4598 Rpms.

So, in summary. Get ride of all the unnecessary PIDS (they slow down the Scan Tool). Use the exact PIDS described in the Tutorial.

Good luck..

smokin6.5l
January 12th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Thank you for the reply i know i didnt have all the pids that i needed that was just one of the logs that i did after i got the tune set for now i know i need to more datalogging and i will with the right pids. the pids i had selected were just after i got it tuned a little better. and i know they are maxxed out, also you gotta remember its a big block and i have it limited to 4500 rpm's becuase i dont want to damage anything at redline. and i will do some more datalogging next week with the right pids selected so you guys can give me some more advise

joecar
January 12th, 2011, 05:26 AM
+1 what Shawn said.

Logging no more than 24 pid channels allows the PCM to update each pid at the fastest sample rate (10 samples/.second)...

more than 24 pid channels reduces this to 5 or less samples/second.

Other comments:

In your tune you might want to make it easier to go into PE by reducing a little the PE RPM/TPS enable above 3400 rpm.

Also in the transmission calibration, set all the Throttle Kickdown tables to 100% to avoid conflicting with the PT shift tables.

smokin6.5l
January 18th, 2011, 10:18 AM
alright here is the newest stuff and advise and opinions appreciated

WeathermanShawn
January 18th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Smokin:

There may be one big issue. In you CALC.PIDS do you have 5.669L or your current engine size of 8.1L inputted. I am getting very high numbers for your DYNCYLAIR, which leads me to believe the Value is way to high in your VE Table.

Here is the good news. Your LTFTBENS and MAF look very good. You got very little KR.

One additional note. The max PID channels you want is 24..not 24 Pids. You can get rid of several ones, like WO2, I think you have DYNCYLAIR twice etc.

If you need help on the Calc._Pids.txt post up.

smokin6.5l
January 18th, 2011, 11:03 AM
the engine is an 8.1L it should be put in there but in not sure how to do that also i do need help with the calc._pids.txt so if i could get any help it would be greatly appreciated

WeathermanShawn
January 18th, 2011, 11:08 AM
If you could post your calc_pids.txt file up it would help.

You find it under "My Documents".."EFILive".."V7.5".."User Configuration".."calc_pids.txt".

Its a lot easier to check and correct than to try to send a new file..Worst case I could send one 'dummied' up for a 8.1..but thats a little trickier to do..

smokin6.5l
January 18th, 2011, 11:15 AM

WeathermanShawn
January 18th, 2011, 11:45 AM
O.K..here you go..

The calc_pids.txt now has the correct Engine Size in it..I recomputed your VE Table. It should look exactly like the one I have attached.

On your next run your SD & MAF Air should match. On another thread I will be posting a handy 'VE Calculator' that you can always double-check the accuracy of the VE Table Pid..

smokin6.5l
January 18th, 2011, 12:23 PM
if you could explain to me how to make that map i would appreciate it i am having troubles making it

WeathermanShawn
January 18th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Smokin, this is where my skills are lacking. So, not to be an a.., but here is the link that gives the Tutorial on how to make a MAP:http://download.efilive.com/Tutorials/Interactive/How to Create a Map.htm (http://download.efilive.com/Tutorials/Interactive/How%20to%20Create%20a%20Map.htm)

Perhaps some other forum member can walk you through if necessary.

Sorry, its just not my strong suit..:rolleyes:.

smokin6.5l
January 18th, 2011, 01:05 PM
its not that i dont know how to make a map its just how do i know that i have the right pids selected for that map to give any info cause i have tried logging the data in that map and it hasn't really given me much data.. thank you for all your help so far and for your future help

WeathermanShawn
January 18th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Make sure you have 'enabled' the CALC.VE Table Pid ..Usually under Calculated Pids..

Then when you make your MAP highlight the Calc.VE Table Pid from the drop-down menu..

smokin6.5l
January 18th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Alright Thank you i know it may be easy for you to do most of this but i am not the greatest with tuning so thank you for being patient with me i plan on doing some more data logging with only the pids that i need selected and i will post up my new log data tomorrow when i have the time

smokin6.5l
January 19th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Here Is the newest data logging info let me know what you think

WeathermanShawn
January 19th, 2011, 05:26 AM
As far as I can tell it generally looks good. Can you attach what your CALC.VE Table MAP looked like. I want to make sure it calculated based on a 8.1L.

Are you successfully creating the CALC.LTFTBEN MAP and CALC.VE Table MAP..then following all the Tutorial instructions as far as copying and pasting etc. As long as that is happening and you are pasting those into your Tune, you are very close to being finished.

A few notes on your PIDS. You don't need the following ones for CALC.VE Table:

1. GM ENGSIZE
2. CALC.VE
3. DYNCYLAIR
4. GM DIFF.DMA

You need the following:

1. CYLAIR.DMA
2. DYNCYLAIR.DMA

I have attached the PID guide in the Tutorial. Other than the wideband PID, you should log those.

Edit: If you can select Metric for your PIDs, it also makes it easier to follow..Thanks..

smokin6.5l
January 24th, 2011, 12:33 PM
im not sure how to attach my calc ve table if you could let me know how to do that ill get it up here for you to see and we can go from there thank you

WeathermanShawn
January 24th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Well you can attach your Tune & Log like you did in your 1st post.

To post up just a single attachment try 'Microsoft Paint'. Its usually loaded under Program..Accessories'. Usually just hitting 'Ctrl & Print Screen simultaneously will allow you to make a copy of an image. Then hit Edit, Paste..Save as PNG..usually to Desktop..then load through the EFILive attachment unloader.

Thats about the best I can explain it. Having your CALC.VE Table numbers will help, but having all the log data and Tune data is the key..

smokin6.5l
January 25th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Tune and log Files

WeathermanShawn
January 25th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Smokin:

Isn't that the same exact Log File you submitted 6 days ago?

None of the PIDS were changed? The data looks exactly the same..

smokin6.5l
January 26th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Yes it is the same one i accidentally clicked on the wrong one i will get the other one up when i have time