PDA

View Full Version : How much do you trust the factory knock sensors?

Tre-Cool
January 3rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
Ok, question for everyone.

Do you tune soley off feedback from your knock sensors for adjusting timing or do you actually utilise a set of knock headphones for more accurate knock detection and if so what have you found in regards to the KS accuracy?

I've finally decided that it would be a wise decision to invest in a good knock detection and headphone set as i've found it sometimes hard to believe i wasn't registering knock yet I was almost certain i could hear it.

So to please my own curiousity i've decided to spend a little money to hopefully save alot.

I guess this brings me to my next question, Do you even trust your knock sensors to save your engine from any pre-detonation issues.

ls1vt209
January 3rd, 2011, 11:16 PM
I have certainly heard knock when none is registering on the log.

The knock sensors are ok, but I certainly do not trust them. I have another car that registers 5 degrees of knock when there is no knock at all.

WeathermanShawn
January 3rd, 2011, 11:22 PM
Well in almost every case it appears the factory Knock Sensors won't pull timing until detonation is occurring. Only 'burst knock' appears to be preemptive and that won't really prevent detonation in many cases.

However, at least in the 2002 LS1 my experience has been that factory KR sensors are quite accurate. If I hear any pinging, >90% of the time it immediately detects KR. And most importantly lowering engine timing prevents any KR from occurring. So it is a good tool.

I try to keep a fairly large spread between my High-Octane Spark and Low-Octane Spark, so at least the Adaptive Spark Control has a chance to work.

Whether investing in more expensive gear is cost-effective or necessary probably depends on how much you have invested in your engine or whether it is a business investment that will pay off.

In summary I believe the factory KR sensors can be accurate, but preventing detonation takes more skill and work than just relying solely on the sensors...:).