PDA

View Full Version : What do I do when I run out of fuel pump on my E67?

E67boostquest
January 13th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Has anyone swapped out their fuel pump yet? In another thread someone made mention of there being a control module in the tank itself that regulates the pressure of the stock returnless fuel system.

Can someone tell me what I would need to do to swap out say a Walboro or a Bosch 044? And how it would interact with my ECU? How do I then regulate the pressure can I reuse the stock components?

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

E67boostquest
January 13th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone had to replace an OEM fuel pump with an aftermarket unit?

minytrker
January 13th, 2011, 07:36 PM
It would help if you posted what year make and model vehicle you have. Also post up what mods you have done that are maxing out your stock fuel system. There are several differnt ways to upgrade fuel systems but without knowing what you got I can't give you any advice.

E67boostquest
January 13th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Well it was really more of an E67 question, since I believe all E67 based vehicles are Returnless system with a controller in the tank. Am I wrong about this?
It's a 2008 Aura XR with a 3.6DOHC V6. Let's just say that the car needs to fuel me for 400 whp. I'm already set for 550CC injectors, but I know the fuel pump won't even come close.

Thank you for your reply. Any help would be appreciated.

minytrker
January 14th, 2011, 10:38 AM
The reason I ask is because how you are making the hp will also dictate on what to do the fuel system. For example making 400hp na, nitrous, turbo, all could have diffent fuel systems. There are many ways to upgrade, boost pump, larger pump, dual pumps, etc...

E67boostquest
January 15th, 2011, 08:09 AM
It's a street ran large turbo vehicle. So probably pretty crappy BSFC.

etmotorsports
February 1st, 2011, 05:03 PM
If you have it up and running you can watch injector pulse width or watch fuel pressure that will tell you for sure if you are loosing pressure.

E67boostquest
February 1st, 2011, 05:10 PM
Thanks. I am very familiar with that. I tune Supras, my old GTP, a couple of Nissans etc. Definately familiar with the IPW. The problem I have I guess would be how the E67 reacts to the swapping of the pump, because of that FPR in the tank.

I have two springs, and all this stuff will be bolted up soon, I was just hoping to be able to take care of the fuel pump and injectors first, so when I go from 3 psi to 8 psi I won't be causing any issues. The difference b/t 3 psi (my starter spring to help me work out tuning this stock ECU) and my 8 psi spring will represent close to 100 whp difference, which will consume all of my fuel pressure.

etmotorsports
February 1st, 2011, 05:39 PM
I see what you mean now, i am not sure with the e67 i know the e38 you can allow for more pressure but I am not sure on the e67.

E67boostquest
February 1st, 2011, 06:00 PM
It's not the pressure that I'm worried about exactly its, how the replacement of the fuel pump will work. I don't know if I can use that module with say a Walbro, and if I cannot how will the fuel pressure be regulated, if I do it mechanically, how will the E67 respond. What doe the E38 guys do?

etmotorsports
February 1st, 2011, 06:10 PM
I am not a big fan of them but you could use a boost a pump that may help but hard to say if it would meet your demands 100%. There are some dual fuel pump setups for the 2010 camaro.

E67boostquest
February 1st, 2011, 06:39 PM
Well I'm only looking for a max of 420 whp. What are your thoughts on that?

etmotorsports
February 1st, 2011, 06:40 PM
what size is the motor, turbo and injectors?

etmotorsports
February 1st, 2011, 06:45 PM
Also what type of transmission?

E67boostquest
February 1st, 2011, 06:45 PM
3.6 LY7
GT4202
550CC @ 3 bar

Crumby 6T70

etmotorsports
February 1st, 2011, 06:47 PM
I think the boost a pump would be good i have used those on corvettes and fords for about 600 HP at flywheel

E67boostquest
February 1st, 2011, 06:52 PM
Isn't a boost-a-pump just a voltage amplifier? It'll change all of my base pressure and require me to remap my injectors everytime the knob gets touched....

etmotorsports
February 1st, 2011, 06:57 PM
Yes it adds voltage at too speed up pump, once it is set you don't need to remap injectors, just what ever you are using to control WOT fuel, they are not hard too tune with, you might need to increase line size to help out just make sure the unit is wire right with good power and grounds with a proper fuse.

E67boostquest
February 1st, 2011, 07:20 PM
I don't know how well that's going to work with that fuel pressure pump controller...

etmotorsports
February 2nd, 2011, 08:39 PM
I am not 100% sure i don't the the E67 will care the only other option that i know of would be to tear it apart and replace the pump with one that fits it there and is return less also. Or like you were saying make it a return style and put the pressure sensor on the side that will see stock pressure but don't wire it into the ECM.