PDA

View Full Version : Re: going to S/D tune O/S on a 99 PCM

DaleMX
December 15th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Ok, I want to go MAF less but I'm running a 99 PCM O/S. I guess this means that first I have to upgrade my O/S to a 2001 and tune the car, then go to the S/D O/S.

Does this sound right? :confused: I'll be using a WideBand Commander setup.

Sorry if I'm being a redundant post, I'm just a little dense.

Before I do any O/S changing I will be upgrading to a FAST 90MM setup to take advantage of my heads and cam . I want to ditch the MAF during the conversion and go S/D.

TAQuickness
December 15th, 2005, 05:27 PM
you do not need to upgrade from your '99 os to run SD. However, the 01-02+ and custom OS's do have some advantage over the 97-00.

DaleMX
December 15th, 2005, 11:53 PM
OK, that sounds good. The reason I thought that was from the Tutorial that stated at the end that 2000 and earlier should hook up their MAF and ... and to me it appeared that the 2001 and up could go without it. I'll go over the procedure again, I must have missed something.

Blacky
December 16th, 2005, 12:33 AM
There are no custom operating systems for the 99/00 PCMs. But as TA said, you can run SD using a stock 99/00 operating system - just remove the MAF.

However, runnning SD using the stock PCM restricts the PCM to using the low octane spark table only.
If you upgrade your PCM to a 01/02 custom operating system that will restore dual spark map capabilities to your SD tuning.

A typical 99/00->01/02 upgrade could be from the stock operating system: 09381344 to the custom operating system: 01290001, which is based on the stock operating system: 12225074.

Regards
Paul

DaleMX
December 16th, 2005, 11:33 PM
I would like to upgrade. Having the dual spark table is a must in my book, but I just have the std license. I guess I have to upgrade before I can upgrade. I that correct?

What version do I need, Commercial? Is my 512K PCM big enough for the 2001 O/S?

Blacky
December 16th, 2005, 11:42 PM
I would like to upgrade. Having the dual spark table is a must in my book, but I just have the std license. I guess I have to upgrade before I can upgrade. I that correct?

What version do I need, Commercial? Is my 512K PCM big enough for the 2001 O/S?
Once the custom OS is installed in your PCM, you can tune it with the Personal version, you just can't install (i.e. full flash) the custom OS to begin with.
If you know someone close by who has a workshop version they could flash it for you - saves upgrading.

But if you don't have access to anyone that can flash it for you, you can upgrade to Commercial for $150 here:
http://store.efilive.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=23

Regards
Paul

DaleMX
December 17th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the help TA, Paul.

TAQuickness
December 17th, 2005, 12:31 PM
no problem

ws6togo
January 6th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Ok, I want to go MAF less but I'm running a 99 PCM O/S. I guess this means that first I have to upgrade my O/S to a 2001 and tune the car, then go to the S/D O/S.

Does this sound right? :confused: I'll be using a WideBand Commander setup.

Sorry if I'm being a redundant post, I'm just a little dense.

Before I do any O/S changing I will be upgrading to a FAST 90MM setup to take advantage of my heads and cam . I want to ditch the MAF during the conversion and go S/D.

I had to sound stupid....but what is S/D ??:nixweiss:

dfe1
January 6th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Some people think S/D or SD (depending on your preference) is the automotive equivalent of b&d, but it actually stands for speed density. If your next question is, "What is speed density?", it's a method by which an engine's air consumption is computed based on engine speed and the density of air in the intake manifold (measured as manifold absolute pressure or MAP).

And just for reference, remember there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

ws6togo
January 6th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks dfe1 !!:thankyou2: