PDA

View Full Version : Response $31: "Request Out of Range" when changing VIN on '00 Escalade

mjalstad
January 19th, 2011, 06:16 PM
So all I'm trying to do is change the VIN on a '00 Escalade PCM but I'm getting this response $31 error. I changed many VIN on many 99-08 LS1 PCMs ('01 Tahoe, '02 Silverado, '05 Silverado) and never had a problem but now this 98-00 Vortec PCM connects and seems to be all good and can read the PCM's current VIN but when I try to change it I get the error. Here's the error report:

Error report generated by EFILive at 23:09:19 on Jan 19, 2011

Error code: ERR_RESPONSE/5
Response $31: "Request Out of Range".

EFILive Version: 7.5.6 (Build 133)

Platform: Windows NT
Version: 6.0 (build 6002)
Processor type: Pentium 2600MHz

Directories
Temporary Cache: C:\Users\Matt\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Temporary cache
Logged Data: C:\Users\Matt\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Logged data
Customers: C:\Users\Matt\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Customers
Configuration: C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Configuration
Exported Data: C:\Users\Matt\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Exported data
Sounds: C:\Users\Matt\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Sounds
Maps: C:\Users\Matt\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps
Pids: C:\Users\Matt\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\PIDs
Virtual Dash: C:\Users\Matt\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\VDash
Print Reports: C:\Users\Matt\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Print reports
Bug Reports: C:\Users\Matt\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Bug reports

Connected: No
Com port: 0
Com setup: EFILive FlashScan V2.5: USB
Requested baud rate: 115200

Cable id: 7
Cable code: FlashScan V2
Cable desc: EFILive FlashScan V2
Cable version: 2.6.12
Cable Firmware date: 20090607
Cable model: FSV2
Cable Serial number: 003823256641

Protocols: 0
Protocol list:

Auto connect: No
Scan OBDII info: No

Error retries: 1
Retry delay: 10
Message throttle: 0

Most recently used VIN: 1GYEK13R1YRxxxxxx (Note: 1)

PCM information
Hardware Number: N/A
Calibration ID: Unknown
Serial Number: 40EYK3928186
Operating System: 16265175
Engine Calibration: 16259044
Not used: 16259128
Transmission Calibration: 16259128
Not used: 16259197
Fuel System: 16259197
System: 16259247
Speedometer: 16241186
Operating System BCC: CDNH
Stream-Slow scan mode: Supported
Stream-Fast scan mode: Supported
Maximum dynamic packets: 16

Detected modules:
$10="Powertrain Control Module (PCM)"

Report ID: 1933831 (Note: 2)

Notes:
(1) The VIN sequence number is not required for this report and for your privacy it is NOT included in this report.

(2)The report ID is a checksum of the report text and is used to verify the integrity of the report.

Tordne
January 19th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Please update both your software and firmware versions and try again.

Here are a couple of knowledgebase articles relating to software and firmware updates:
- Software
(http://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=5404-IJZV-0820)- Firmware (http://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=7243-SFGL-2949)

mjalstad
January 20th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Still didn't work

Error report generated by EFILive at 06:53:07 on Jan 20, 2011

EFILive Version: 7.5.6 (Build 133)

Directories

Cable version: 2.7.4
Cable Firmware date: 20101130

Protocol list:

PCM information

Detected modules:

Tordne
January 20th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Your V7 software hasn't been updated, it is still showing version 133. Could you please try and install the Build 139 version on our website?

Are you able to scan/datalog the vehicle at all?

mjalstad
January 20th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Ok I got that updated and still the same thing. I am doing this on a benchtop with a wiring harness from EFIconnection.com. I have never done any scanning or datalogging and I don't even know if I would be able to do that since the PCM is out of the vehicle. When I click on the change vin option, it is able to read the PCM's current VIN and puts that in the "Current VIN" field. Even if I clikc on "copy VIN" and "check Digit" then "ok" it still comes up with this error.

Error report generated by EFILive at 21:28:21 on Jan 20, 2011

EFILive Version: 7.5.6 (Build 139)

Directories

Cable version: 2.7.4
Cable Firmware date: 20101130

Protocol list:

PCM information

Detected modules:

mjalstad
January 20th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Ok so I just tried scanning which I have never done before. Since the PCM is out of the vehicle I just checked the battery voltage PID and it scans and comes up at 12.0 so I would have to say that yes, I am able to scan.

Blacky
January 21st, 2011, 10:12 AM
When you posted the error reports, there should have been a whole lot of extra data that is not present in the ones that you posted. Can you post the entire error report after you get the error when trying to save the VIN.
Regards
Paul

Blacky
January 21st, 2011, 03:11 PM
Use the [Save] button when the error report shows up, then attach the saved file to your post.
To attach the file, click the [Go Advanced] button underneath your post.
Then click the [Manage attachments] button to upload the file as an attachment.

Regards
Paul

mjalstad
January 21st, 2011, 03:15 PM
There we go, I guess that is probably a little easier, haha

mjalstad
January 27th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Any ideas yet?

Blacky
January 27th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Sorry, I forgot to post my reply when I first read the file.
Unfortunately the ECM is simply rejecting the VIN change command as "unsupported".
The negative response code of $31 means that the ECM does not support changing the VIN using the standard GM VIN changing messages.
I don't know how else to change the VIN on that controller.

Regards
Paul

mjalstad
January 27th, 2011, 06:17 PM
So if I buy a different PCM, it should work, or will I get the same thing happening again?

Blacky
January 27th, 2011, 07:53 PM
So if I buy a different PCM, it should work, or will I get the same thing happening again?
No, I don't think it is a problem with that particular PCM, I think it is just that GM decided not to implement the VIN change option in the software that is in the PCM. So even ifyou got a different PCM it would still have the same software and would still have the same inability to change the VIN.

I'll take a look at it in more detail when I get back in the office next week. Can you send me the *.tun (or *.ctd) file from your PCM so I can put it in a PCM here and see what I can figure out.

Regards
Paul

mjalstad
January 29th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I'll try to get you a file this weekend sometime. So is it going to be this way on all 98-00 Vortec PCMs then? I bought a 99 Suburban PCM on ebay hoping that it will work on that one, but I haven't received it yet to be able to find out.

Blacky
January 29th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I'll try to get you a file this weekend sometime. So is it going to be this way on all 98-00 Vortec PCMs then? I bought a 99 Suburban PCM on ebay hoping that it will work on that one, but I haven't received it yet to be able to find out.
Yes, I would expect them all to be that way. I just tried it here on a Vortec PCM and it fails in exactly the same way.
Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
January 30th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I know when reading a Vortec PCM out the VIN field reads N/A, I havent tried to change the VIN for one though.

mjalstad
February 1st, 2011, 04:29 PM
So I contacted tuner cat since this is something that I need and they said the following:

They are correct in that the Vortec (black) PCMs used in the 1996 - 2000
trucks do not support changing the VIN with a single instruction like the
newer LS1 style PCMs. You can change the VIN in these early PCMs but it
requires that you reprogram the entire calibration file so you can do it but
it's a much slower process.

So would I be able to do it that way? I just have the flashscan V2 scan only tool. I will need to be changing VINs many times on probably at least 3 different PCMs. Will I be able to do this or am I going to need to look for a different tuning program. The only reason I bought this was for changing VINs on PCMs, it is working great on the 99 and up LS1 PCMs but if I can't change the Vortec PCMs I'm going to need to look for a new tool. Please let me know what I can do. Thank you

Tordne
February 1st, 2011, 04:33 PM
If what they are suggesting is correct (needing to full flash) then is cannot be done with the Scan Only product (obviously). I'm away from the office but I'll need to confirm that we support full-flash on that PCM.

Blacky
February 2nd, 2011, 08:59 AM
Can you please send as many *.tun (or *.ctd) files from the different L31 (vortec) controllers that you have read out.
It looks like it is possible to do with EFILive, however I need to verify that the data in all the L31 files has the same format/layout.

Please zip up the *.tun (or *.ctd) files and send them to paul@efilive.com

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
February 2nd, 2011, 09:56 AM
I sent you the only one I have, hope it helps!

Tordne
February 2nd, 2011, 10:13 AM
@mjalstad, just to confirm for you though the if we are able to incorporate the ability to chage the VIN on the L31 it will only be possible with the Scan and Tune product. This will require you to upgrade your Scan Only license.

mjalstad
February 3rd, 2011, 06:37 PM

Here's the 00 Escalade. I have another that I will add later

mjalstad
February 3rd, 2011, 06:37 PM

Here's the zip

mjalstad
February 3rd, 2011, 06:43 PM
@mjalstad, just to confirm for you though the if we are able to incorporate the ability to chage the VIN on the L31 it will only be possible with the Scan and Tune product. This will require you to upgrade your Scan Only license.

So that would cost me an additional $400? I talked to TunerCat and they said they can set me up for $300 to change the VIN on any Vortec or LS1 PCM as many time as I want to as many PCMs as I want. Can you guys compete with that at all or am I going to have to switch over to them and return or sell my EFI Live? I bought this because I was told that I could change VINs on these trucks and that was the only thing I was looking to do when I bought this product. Here is the email I received when I was shopping around for a product:

Hi Matt,

The FlashScan V2 Scan Only product (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_EFILive.tpl&product_id=64&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56) is able to change the VIN on supported vehicles. This product costs US$399 and includes the FlashScan V2 hardware interface, cables and software.

These are the currently supported vehicles (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=82). As you will see it is only GM vehicles presently.

Regards,
Andrew Jensen
EFILive Limited

This email message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee named above and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you received this email message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this email message.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, 11 September 2010 4:22 p.m.
To: sales@efilive.com
Subject: Sales or General Inquiry from Matt Alstad

Matt Alstad has the following inquiry:

Email Address:xxxxxxxx
Phone Number:xxxxxxxxxx

Please enter the details of the inquiry below:
Hi, I am looking for a product only to change VIN numbers on PCMs. I don't need to do any tuning, just VIN number changing. I would need a product that can do this an unlimited amount of times. It would be used mostly for GM trucks but also Ford and Dodge along with some of their cars. Thank you

Tordne
February 3rd, 2011, 08:05 PM
Sending you an email.

auspeed
November 13th, 2015, 10:44 PM
i got this error today trying to scan an e38? any tips

joecar
November 14th, 2015, 04:11 PM
i got this error today trying to scan an e38? any tipsWhich V7/V8 build...?

auspeed
November 14th, 2015, 11:22 PM
all sorted: I had invalid pid selected AD1 then had to update the sae_generic.txt as per latest software fixes.

gixxer92
May 24th, 2017, 12:52 AM
Reviving this thread again...
I programmed an E35A over the past weekend and had no issues in programming the ECU for the 07 Duramax.
I went back to work on my current project, 1998 K1500 Silverado that I put a 0411 ECU into. I programmed it with the 02 Vortec file and tried to run 7.5 Scan so that I could see what my O2's and sensors were doing and I got the $31 error. I started removing PIDs that I thought may be causing issue and have still not been able to successfully view active data. I removed all EFILive software and re-installed and updated the firmware on the V2 last night and still no joy...
Any insight on other options to make the scanning work again?
Let me also add that this is the first time in about 6 months that I have tried to do anything with EFILive on vehicle(s).

Blacky
May 24th, 2017, 08:49 AM
Reviving this thread again...
I programmed an E35A over the past weekend and had no issues in programming the ECU for the 07 Duramax.
I went back to work on my current project, 1998 K1500 Silverado that I put a 0411 ECU into. I programmed it with the 02 Vortec file and tried to run 7.5 Scan so that I could see what my O2's and sensors were doing and I got the $31 error. I started removing PIDs that I thought may be causing issue and have still not been able to successfully view active data. I removed all EFILive software and re-installed and updated the firmware on the V2 last night and still no joy...
Any insight on other options to make the scanning work again?
Let me also add that this is the first time in about 6 months that I have tried to do anything with EFILive on vehicle(s).

If you haven't already, try updating to the latest V8 version, here: http://www.efilive.com/latest/cat/download-efilive
Then use the V8 pass-thru scan tool to:
1: Validate the PIDs for the target vehicle.
2: Try logging the PIDs using V8 pass-thru.

You can copy your PID selection from V7 to V8 by highlighting the PIDs in V7 (click on the first selected PID, then hold the shift key down and click on the last selected PID), then select the menu option: Edit->Copy for export to V8.
Then run the V8 Scan and Tune tool, select [F2: Scan]->[F2: PIDs], select the appropriate engine (and trans if required) controller(s).
Right click in the green "Selected PIDs" section and select Paste. You PIDs from V7 should appear in the green section. Only PIDs that are defined for the selected controller type will appear.

To validate the PIDs, connect to the vehicle and select the small/square PID validation button in the center of the Scan window that looks like a red cross with a green tick.
Invalid PIDs will show up in both the green (Selected PIDs) and yellow (Available PIDs) areas with a red cross icon.

Once you have a set of valid PIDs, try scanning/logging by selecting the [F4: Charts] tab page and click on the red start logging/recording button.

Regards
Paul

gixxer92
May 24th, 2017, 11:08 AM
I ran it through V8 and validated pids. Works now! Thank-you! :)