PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip thru Oz...

joecar
January 22nd, 2011, 09:04 PM
My wife and I are planning on a road trip thru southeastern and central Australia in the very near future...

We want to see the towns/sites along the way, and we want to avoid the rushed package tours.

Rail between Adelaide and Alice Springs is an option.

I welcome anyone's ideas/comments... anything we should watch out for (I know the obvious extra petrol and water when traveling thru desert)...?

GMPX
January 22nd, 2011, 09:40 PM
I've never done a road trip around Australia, however my wife and I did do one in the US back in 96, best thing to do is just drive and don't really plan anything.

bballer182
January 22nd, 2011, 09:44 PM
I've never done a road trip around Australia, however my wife and I did do one in the US back in 96, best thing to do is just drive and don't really plan anything.

We let you in the US? I'll have to talk to someone about that... hahaha

GMPX
January 23rd, 2011, 01:38 AM
We let you in the US? I'll have to talk to someone about that... hahaha
I almost know the immigration guys at LAX by name :hihi:

5.7ute
January 23rd, 2011, 01:19 PM
The road from Adelaide to Alice is in good condition. Taking the train would mean that you would miss out on places like Coober Pedy & Ayers Rock(Not much of a loss IMO but they are touristy places to visit)
Phone coverage out there is sparse so you would want to make sure you have enough water etc to last a couple of hours at worst.
A handheld UHF on channel 40 will keep you in contact with the trucks on the road. This can be a lifesaver as pinpointing the areas where there is cattle or other livestock on the road can prevent an accident. (Though kangaroos around low light can be expected anywhere)

swingtan
January 23rd, 2011, 03:59 PM
Road trip through Aus is great! Let me know when you're in Melb and we'll have to catch up.

The main road around Australia is the Princes Highway. It's a single road that runs the perimeter of the mainland and is generally in pretty good condition when you take in to account Australia is the size of the USA (minus Alaska and Hawaii ) and we only have 20M people. Depending on where you are going and when, we can come up with some excellent routes to get different places or just for day trips. If you give us a basic itinerary of where you'll be and what you want to see, I'm sure we can come up with something.

Be warned though, many tourists from the US tend to come to Australia and decide to stay......

Simon.

GMPX
January 23rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
Be warned though, many tourists from the US tend to come to Australia and decide to stay......
Until they go to McDonalds and order a 'large' drink only to find it's the same size as an American small. I go to McDonalds maybe once a year, so I don't really know if it's changed, but I do recall ordering a large drink in the US one time and it came in what I would call a bucket!! there was enough liquid in there to wash a car with.

swingtan
January 23rd, 2011, 04:34 PM
Or until they find out how much of the native fauna will kill or hurt you.....

Tordne
January 23rd, 2011, 04:55 PM
Not planning on coming to NZ are ya Joe?

bballer182
January 23rd, 2011, 04:56 PM
I do recall ordering a large drink in the US one time and it came in what I would call a bucket!! there was enough liquid in there to wash a car with.

That's why 95% of Americans are morbidly obese... No one here knows what self control is and succumb to corporate brain washing... It's a pretty pathetic world we live in now:bad:

sorry for the digression:)

5.7ute
January 23rd, 2011, 05:44 PM
Or until they find out how much of the native fauna will kill or hurt you.....
Yep, much easier to list those that don't.lol.
If you manage to get up this way I will take a day or so off to show you around. There are some great spots within a couple of hours of here that are well worth a visit. Those that are 4wd only I can get hold of a car to use if you only bring a 2wd.

Lextech
January 24th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I do recall ordering a large drink in the US one time and it came in what I would call a bucket!! there was enough liquid in there to wash a car with.

Ha, I'm at work reading this thread with the guys. We got a good laugh out of it.

joecar
January 24th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Simon,
Loose itinerary (if you can call it that):

Sydney
Bathurst
Orange
Dubbo
Parkes/Forbes
Wagga Wagga
Wodondga

(I don't know VIC too well, give me ideas)
Shepparton
Bendigo
Ballarat
Geelong

Mt Gambier
Adelaide
Port Augusta/Whyalla
Woomera
Coober Pedy

Alice Springs

Adelaide

Mildura
Wagga Wagga
Narrandera
Cooma
Bega
Wollongong
Sydney

joecar
January 24th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Andrew,
On the return flight we're hoping to stop in Auckland a few days.

joecar
January 24th, 2011, 04:50 AM
I'm familiar with travelling the back roads of coastal/central NSW with my mum/dad a long time ago.

Should we go to Canberra (we've been there before)...?

joecar
January 24th, 2011, 04:54 AM
there was enough liquid in there to wash a car with.lol, the "711" chain of convenience stores have a 64oz (half gallon) bladder buster. :hihi:

Tordne
January 24th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Andrew,
On the return flight we're hoping to stop in Auckland a few days.

If you do definitely let us know. I'd sure like to meet you in person, and I'm sure Paul would like to catch up with you again (sure he's met you already?).

swingtan
January 24th, 2011, 10:16 AM
How come no Melbourne on the list?.......

Here's a quick Google map for Sydney to Melb: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=212974584780384333885.00049a9d7e6609999b123&t=h&z=7

I'll do the rest a little later but if anyone wants to add places of intertest, let me know and I'll add you as a collaborator on the map.

Simon.

joecar
January 24th, 2011, 02:40 PM
How come no Melbourne on the list?.......

Here's a quick Google map for Sydney to Melb: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=212974584780384333885.00049a9d7e6609999b123&t=h&z=7

I'll do the rest a little later but if anyone wants to add places of intertest, let me know and I'll add you as a collaborator on the map.

Simon.

(I don't know VIC too well, give me ideas)

Simon,

I wasn't sure where to go in Melbourne, I was hoping you would give me some ideas.

swingtan
January 24th, 2011, 03:40 PM
here's a couple of things, what else would you be interested in?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&msa=0&ll=-37.601176,145.293503&spn=0.409098,0.944824&z=11&msid=212974584780384333885.00049aa2406e983d81b69

5.7ute
January 24th, 2011, 03:59 PM
It doesn't matter where you go in Melbourne, it all looks good in the rear vision mirror.(Joking)

joecar
January 24th, 2011, 04:41 PM
here's a couple of things, what else would you be interested in?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&msa=0&ll=-37.601176,145.293503&spn=0.409098,0.944824&z=11&msid=212974584780384333885.00049aa2406e983d81b69Wh at would be the historic parts of Melbourne...?

gmperformancecentre
January 25th, 2011, 01:25 AM
pity you not come west (WA)
be good to put face to the name

joecar
January 25th, 2011, 04:24 AM
pity you not come west (WA)
be good to put face to the nameMy Mrs is interested in a trip on the Indian-Pacific... so depending on time we'll see how we go.

GMPX
January 25th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Speaking as someone who has grown up in Melbourne (aka the Nanny state) I can say without bias a visit to WA should be on your cards. The beaches around Perth are just amazing, I've only been there twice but I still look at real estate web sites in Perth hoping to find that beach front house, well, they have them but I ain't paying 4 Million bucks for a house :shock:
Regarding the historic parts of Melbourne, most of the city and inner suburbs are pretty well preserved. With all the rain we've had in 2010 all the gardens are looking lovely and green too.
If you make it over, all the Melbourne folk should get together for a social event, just leave your laptops at home.

gmperformancecentre
January 25th, 2011, 02:34 PM
My Mrs is interested in a trip on the Indian-Pacific... so depending on time we'll see how we go.

if you do get over my way let me know

joecar
January 25th, 2011, 04:36 PM
If you make it over, all the Melbourne folk should get together for a social event, just leave your laptops at home.Sounds good, we'll make a point of visiting Melbourne. :cheers:

joecar
January 25th, 2011, 04:44 PM
if you do get over my way let me knowI think we'll make time to go west... :cheers: ...we might have to do this by rail... that stretch of Eyre Hwy looks a bit desolate/intimidating... :shock:

joecar
January 25th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Has anyone driven across the Nullabor first hand...?

swingtan
January 25th, 2011, 05:31 PM
It's long, really long. No it's really, really long :p. I haven't done it personally but know a few that have and I'd like to do it. I know someone that did it in the 60's when it was a dirt road, that would have been fun.

Historic parts of Melbourne...

Flinders Street Station (some say the whole rail network is "historic"...)
http://www.nattrust.com.au/var/nattrust/storage/images/trust_register/search_the_register/flinders_street_station/b3006_flinders_street_station/653763-1-eng-AU/b3006_flinders_street_station_large.jpg

opposite the station is "Youg and Jacksons" pub, an iconic pub in Melbourne wich has been there as long as the station.
The Old Melbourne Gaol. Where Ned Kelly was hanged (as well as others) it's also in the CBD.

http://www.victorianphantomhunters.com/OMG.jpg

Daily tours are available.

Melbourne Parliament: Again, tours are available but I don't know the full details.

http://www.walkingmelbournetours.com.au/Walking-Melbourne-Images/City/Parliament2.jpg

There are lots more, like the Werribee Mansion / Zoo and the Melbourne Imigration Museum. Try going to Google Maps and searching for Melbourne Australia Historic and zoom in. There are lots of tips in there.

Simon.

joecar
January 25th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Ok, thanks Simon.

joecar
February 7th, 2011, 02:46 PM
We just went to Jamaica for our anniversary last week... we're still planning a trip to Oz.

vxchev8
February 21st, 2011, 06:10 PM
A lot of things to do in Melbourne. Take a look here http://www.melbourne.com.au/

joecar
February 22nd, 2011, 03:37 AM
Ok thanks.

johnsZ06
February 22nd, 2011, 03:51 AM
Not to hijack the thread but, has anyone ever taken a motorbike outback excursion? A friend and I plan on doing this sometime around September and we we're wondering how safe it would be say , from Adelaide to Alice on motorbikes.

5.7ute
February 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM
Not to hijack the thread but, has anyone ever taken a motorbike outback excursion? A friend and I plan on doing this sometime around September and we we're wondering how safe it would be say , from Adelaide to Alice on motorbikes.

There are many people who undertake this kind of trip here. We mainly head North to Darwin but the trip south to Adelaide wouldn't be any different. You just need to make sure you have enough fuel & water on board & watch out for the wildlife, especially around dusk & dawn.
Summer gets really hot through the centre, around 50 deg C at Coober Pedy. But September would be fine.
If you believe all the media hype, Alice is not a tourist friendly location at the moment. But a bit of common sense and some local advice on where not to go & when will see you through fine. (Mainly keeping away from the trouble "hot spots" at night)

swingtan
February 22nd, 2011, 03:24 PM
Also, remember that Adelaide to Alice on a bike is a long haul 1500km ( let's say 1000 miles ) one way. In addition to the heat and wild life (8ft tall roos and Brahma bulls) there is also the dust and insects to watch out for. Also, remember that Australia has a dirty great hole in the Ozone layer above it thanks to countries that made use of CFC's for much too long. This hole lets through copious amounts of UV that will fry you and a very, very short time. 30min of unprotected exposure can result is some fairly decent sunburn, so be ready for that. If any members do come down Melbourne way, we'll see if we can arrange a bit of a cruise day with some friends off the LS1 forum here. I can't say it'll be as big as the last cruise... http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=145998 but it would be nice to meet up and show off some Aussie muscle cars.

Let us know and we'll se what can be done.
Simon

joecar
February 22nd, 2011, 03:51 PM
Not to hijack the thread but, has anyone ever taken a motorbike outback excursion? A friend and I plan on doing this sometime around September and we we're wondering how safe it would be say , from Adelaide to Alice on motorbikes.Goto http://maps.google.com.au/maps, search "Petrol Stations near A87", under "Did you mean: Petrol Stations near" click A87, SA.

johnsZ06
February 23rd, 2011, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the response guys. What would be the best time of year to travel the outback? That ozone hole sounds a little worrisome.

5.7ute
February 23rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
Depends on your likes/dislikes. September, October would be my pick as the nights arent too cold & the days are getting warm(high 20's to low 30's degrees C). Some Years though it can stay cool right up till October, depending on rain patterns. It doesnt really start warming right up till November,December & stays hot till the end of Feb,March.
If you don't mind the cold I would be heading up this way around "Finke" time. The Finke desert race attracts thousands of interstate & overseas spectators, as well as some international competitors. See here http://www.finkedesertrace.com.au/
Alice goes real quiet at this time of year as everyone heads down the track to camp for 3 days & watch the race.

johnsZ06
February 24th, 2011, 03:32 AM
The Finke race looks like something I would enjoy. Don't know if I'll be able to swing it though due to our work schedules. At the moment it appears as if our plans might change. We're thinking that maybe Sydney to Woomera and back might make for a more interesting trip by letting us check out major cities along the way plus get some outback experience once we get north of Port Augusta.