PDA

View Full Version : January 24th 2011 pre-release

Blacky
January 23rd, 2011, 11:11 AM
This pre-release is beta software. We've tested it in controlled environments, however there may still be some minor issues. You should only update/use this pre-release in environments where failure can be tolerated and/or recovered using other processes.

The V7.5 software is available here:
http://download.efilive.com/Software/V7.5/EFILiveV7.5.6.146_Setup.exe

The V8 software is available here:
http://download.efilive.com/Software/V8/EFILiveV8.1.2.138_Setup.exe
IMPORTANT: The new firmware is V2.07.04 which is the same version number as the firmware available in the publicly release available from our downloads page. That means you will not be automatically notified to update the firmware.
Please remember to update the firmware in your FlashScan and your Customers' AutoCal devices to V2.07.04 (dated Jan 23, 2011). You must use EFILive Explorer to update the firmware.

The firmware update also requires that you update all script files (*.obj files) that exist on your FlashScan (or your customers' AutoCal) devices. Failure to update the script files will result in error $050B Script file not supported by current firmware version.

The easiest way to update the script files on your devices is to:

Connect your FlashScan or AutoCal device to the PC.
Run the EFILive V8 Scan and Tune software.
Select the F5: BBX option.
Click on the [Read] button to read the current setup of the attached device.
Click on the [Program] button which will cause all outdated files to be updated.

It is not necessary to save the BBX Options file after performing the above procedure.

This update contains fixes for most of the problems that have been reported in the previous pre-release software and firmware. If you have reported a problem and discover that it has not been fixed in this pre-release, please create a support ticket explaining the problem in detail here: http://support.efilive.com/

Updates available in this pre-release:

Added read/flash support for Cummins controllers. Reading is available to all users, editing and flashing is currently only available to the Cummins Beta group.

Enhanced and optimized BBx read and flash scripts to make BBx more robust.

BBF for CAN controllers is now up to 2 times faster. You can select the Fast CAN option in the EFILive_ScanAndTune software in the "F6 Devices" window on the Options tab page. It should be selected by default when you upgrade to the new firmware.

When saving a *.ctd file that has just been uploaded from a controller, the V8 software now defaults the name of the file to the stream name.

V8 pass-thru and BBx Full-Flashing support added for: E38, E78, E39, E37, T42 and T43.

Changed the way controllers are selected in the BBx settings. Controllers are now selected the same way as when starting a pass-thru read.

When opening *.ctd file externally, eg: by double clicking on it in Windows Explorer and the EFILive V8 software is already running, the file will be opened in the already running instance of the EFILive software.

Unsupported PIDs no longer prevent BBL sessions from starting. If a BBL session contains unsupported PIDs, their values will be displayed as N/A in BBL mode and as a flat-line of zero (or the PID's equivalent of zero) in the V7 Scan Tool.

Incorrectly defined PIDs no longer cause data logs to produce garbage data. If a PID is not correctly defined for the target controller the PID will be identified and the log will not start.

\My Documents\EFILive\V8\Trace\*.htx files are now saved with each attempted pass-thru read or flash operation in V8. The *.htx files are V8's the equivalent of V7's *.blx files.

Enhanced *.ini file handling to cater for different localizations. The enhancements allow PC's with localization settings that use a comma as a decimal separator and/or that have varying date formats to be able to read/write consistent data formats to EFILive's *.ini files.

To maintain consistency, EFILive's stream names for the following controllers have changed:

LB7 has been changed to E54
LLY has been changed to E60
LBZ has been changed to E35A
LMM has been changed to E35B
LML has been changed to E86

During the V8 software install, the following config files are deleted:

\MyDocuments\EFILive\V8\Trace\*.htx
\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Config\*.pmm
\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Config\*.obj
\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Config\*.bix
\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Config\*.bix
\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Controllers\Alerts\*.htm*
\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Controllers\Identify\*.dat
\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Controllers\Images\*.png
\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Documents\*.pdf
\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Documents\PID Descriptions\*.txt
\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Documents\PID Descriptions\*.htm*

Known issues for this pre-release (these will be addressed in a future update):

LS1A is not auto-identified, you must right click and select it prior to V8 pass-thru reading.

DMA PID's for the E39/E78 cannot be logged from V7 Scan direct, BBL is the only way to capture DMA PID's.

AutoCal auto-locking is only available for the E38 controller, other controllers will have AutoCal auto-locking implemented soon.

bballer182
January 23rd, 2011, 04:20 PM
I like the new BBL controller selection! It's really nice and easy now.

BBF/BBR controller selection allows the user to select 2 controllers??? when 2 controllers are selected the software uses the last controller selected. This should really only be one controller at a time to eliminate confusion.

Pid list and controller names are being save correctly now.

V8 is looking for and saving options.txt in the tmp folder instead of the config folder now...

kangsta
January 23rd, 2011, 04:45 PM
what happened to the downloads lol

swingtan
January 23rd, 2011, 05:03 PM
they were "temporarily removed".... :p

mr.prick
January 23rd, 2011, 06:20 PM
I already installed these. :hihi:

ScarabEpic22
January 23rd, 2011, 07:01 PM
Dang I missed out, oh well another update will probably be here soon!

GMPX
January 23rd, 2011, 10:46 PM
Don't worry, it wasn't a major flaw discovered, the update should be posted up within 24hrs.

Cheers,
Ross

Blacky
January 24th, 2011, 11:23 AM
BBF/BBR controller selection allows the user to select 2 controllers??? when 2 controllers are selected the software uses the last controller selected. This should really only be one controller at a time to eliminate confusion.
It's the same concept as choosing a controller to read in the Tune section. You can select engine controllers on the left and trans controllers on the right. However, only one of them can be ticked with a green tick. You can select which one has the green tick by clicking on the image. Compare that with the BBL selection where both controllers are always ticked. If you want to unselect a controller, just re-select it from the pop-up menu.

I'm pretty sure it just remembers the last used folder. It may be possible that prior to you updating the software the last remembered folder was the temp folder. Anyway I'll take a look to see if I can make it fail that way consistently.

Regards
Paul

swingtan
January 24th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Got a slight issue with the latest release. Now I know I'm running an "unsupported OS" but was hoping for a hint or two.

EFILive_Tune.exe 7.5.6 build 146

In previous versions, ( at least up to build 139 ) when starting Tune tool with the V2 plugged in and with the above OS, I got access to the VVE tables. With the current version the application scans for the V2 (indicated by the V2 waking up and the display coming on) but I no longer get the VVE tables listed, just as if I'd started Tune tool without the V2 connected.

Any ideas on this one?

Simon

Blacky
January 24th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Got a slight issue with the latest release. Now I know I'm running an "unsupported OS" but was hoping for a hint or two.

EFILive_Tune.exe 7.5.6 build 146

In previous versions, ( at least up to build 139 ) when starting Tune tool with the V2 plugged in and with the above OS, I got access to the VVE tables. With the current version the application scans for the V2 (indicated by the V2 waking up and the display coming on) but I no longer get the VVE tables listed, just as if I'd started Tune tool without the V2 connected.

Any ideas on this one?

Simon

Its probably a mistake I made in the licensing for V7. I had to redo a lot of the license code to support the new Cummins licensing options in FlashScan.
I'll take a look at it and get it fixed asap.

Regards
Paul

swingtan
January 24th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks, no big rush on it. I'm running a MAF tune so it's not critical at the moment.

Simon

GMPX
January 24th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Simon, I said one day this would come back and bite you. :)
You are running what is now a defunct custom OS, this is the one with the valet mode etc? As I mentioned, it is totally unsupported, it's too hard (actually, really, really hard) to keep supporting what is essentially a beta custom OS that was never really released.

mr.prick
January 25th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Must I reinstall the same update after it was "temporarily removed"?
Was there a change to the FW or software at all?

gmh308
January 25th, 2011, 01:54 AM
So T43 full flash via BBx only? Not via regular PC pass through flash? :) Either way...great surprise :)

GMPX
January 25th, 2011, 01:59 AM
T42, T43, E37, E38, E39, E78 Full Flash can all be done from V8 pass-through now.

E37 & E38 are about 2:40 for a full flash.
E39 & E78 are about 3:40 for a full flash.
T43 is about 2:30 for a full flash, and for some reason I never noted down the time for the T42, probably around 1 minute being smaller flash size.
The interesting thing is, we can speed these flash times up a little more, we just haven't 'turned' that feature on yet. The new generation ECM's (E39 & E78) might get under 3 minutes once we get all the speed tricks active.

Cheers,
Ross

gmh308
January 25th, 2011, 02:21 AM
T42, T43, E37, E38, E39, E78 Full Flash can all be done from V8 pass-through now.

E37 & E38 are about 2:40 for a full flash.
E39 & E78 are about 3:40 for a full flash.
T43 is about 2:30 for a full flash, and for some reason I never noted down the time for the T42, probably around 1 minute being smaller flash size.
The interesting thing is, we can speed these flash times up a little more, we just haven't 'turned' that feature on yet. The new generation ECM's (E39 & E78) might get under 3 minutes once we get all the speed tricks active.

Cheers,
Ross

Surpise, surprise, surprise. Cool. :)

Yeah I noticed that the transfer seems not to flash the light on the V2 so much. More throughput?

joecar
January 25th, 2011, 04:56 AM
With V2 connected to PC/laptop, opening the tunetool fails to show the ETC folder (i.e. the red folder) for LS1B.

LBZoom
January 25th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Will this update include initial support for the LML Duramx then? I saw the controller listed in the first post but wasn't sure if that meant there was any support yet. Thanks for the info!

Tordne
January 25th, 2011, 07:12 AM
LML is still only supported for scanning. We are also aware that some PIDs may have changed in the LML and may either be reported as invalid, or log incorrect data. Currently we don't have LML PID data available so are not able to determine the differences.

Blacky
January 25th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Must I reinstall the same update after it was "temporarily removed"?
Was there a change to the FW or software at all?

No, you don't need to reinstall. The changes were:
Re-enabled LML scanning which had been disabled accidentally.
Fixed the spelling of Cummins ECM (it used to say Cummins EMC).

Regards
Paul

DURAtotheMAX
January 25th, 2011, 09:27 AM
LML is still only supported for scanning. We are also aware that some PIDs may have changed in the LML and may either be reported as invalid, or log incorrect data. Currently we don't have LML PID data available so are not able to determine the differences.

I cant find any LML scanning in either the V7 scan tool or V8?

Tordne
January 25th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Me either actually. I just emailed Paul as I understood that LML scanning had been re-enabled in is latest build.

Dmaxink
January 25th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Where is the firmware update? I must have missed something...thanks!

Brian1
January 25th, 2011, 12:27 PM
It mentions if you have the current firmware out of the public release then you are up to date. So check to see you are running 2.07.04

Brian

Dmaxink
January 25th, 2011, 12:34 PM
yes that is the firmware i am running, only difference is mine didnt have the jan-23rd date..it has the nov 30th date. That is why i was concerned. but guess im good to go.

Tordne
January 25th, 2011, 04:36 PM

Actually, in V7 just select LBZ or LMM and it will work.

swingtan
January 25th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Simon, I said one day this would come back and bite you. :)
You are running what is now a defunct custom OS, this is the one with the valet mode etc? As I mentioned, it is totally unsupported, it's too hard (actually, really, really hard) to keep supporting what is essentially a beta custom OS that was never really released.

Yes, I know.... I just really like that valet mode. It's not a huge issue and I'm half way through redoing the tune with a stock OS anyway, but the switchable tunes is nice. I used them on holidays so I could quickly switch to a 95RON - towing tune once the 98RON fuel ran out and back again as we hit the bigger towns. But I know there is other pressing work to be done so if push comes to shove, I'll just have to keep and old version in file.

Simon.

Biodiesel66
January 26th, 2011, 02:36 AM

V8 scanning works for BBL. Still a few small bugs. I just need to get all the data to Paul.

Taz
January 26th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Unenlightened question from the Gen III guy. Hope to transition into Gen IV conversions by no later than year’s end - still working out some R&D type information.

When you state “full flash” of the E38 / T42 / T43 - does that mean the same thing as “full flash” does with respect to the LS1-B PCM ?

That is, does the potential now exist for EFILive to full flash a 2007 V6 Impala E38 with a 2007 V8 truck E38 tune and have it fully functional ?

Or does a “base tune” still need to be flashed in first with a Tech 2 / Mongoose type device ?

Cheers,
Taz

Ninety8C5
January 26th, 2011, 12:48 PM
yes that is the firmware i am running, only difference is mine didnt have the jan-23rd date..it has the nov 30th date. That is why i was concerned. but guess im good to go.

You need to update your firmware to the Jan-23rd date. I think I saw that you have to use EFILive Explorer and do it manually.

Cougar281
January 26th, 2011, 06:24 PM
You need to update your firmware to the Jan-23rd date. I think I saw that you have to use EFILive Explorer and do it manually.

What he said :)

Just in case anyone else is having a shortbus moment like I was and can't figure out why you're getting a "file not found" error on startop or PID List selection, with the change in the controller stream (LLY > E60, LB7 > E54, LBZ > E35A, LMM > E35B), the software doesn't automatically cahnge the "LLY" to "E60" in teh options.txt and BBx section of the sw, so you need to manually re-select the controllers.

L31Sleeper
January 26th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Yes, I know.... I just really like that valet mode. It's not a huge issue and I'm half way through redoing the tune with a stock OS anyway, but the switchable tunes is nice. I used them on holidays so I could quickly switch to a 95RON - towing tune once the 98RON fuel ran out and back again as we hit the bigger towns. But I know there is other pressing work to be done so if push comes to shove, I'll just have to keep and old version in file.

Simon.

I'm cornfused ?? What is this mystery tune ??

Now that we have BBx Full Flash (thanx by the way) will we be able to "apply" a custom OS like a DSP ??
The current system (flash COS, flash CAL, read back out) is fine with the V2, but if a customer sends
a tune via AutoCal it would be nice to simply "apply" a COS.

GMPX
January 26th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Are you talking LS1? That is the only controller that requires the process you mentioned. And that process won't change sorry.

L31Sleeper
January 26th, 2011, 07:40 PM
The new ECMs come with boost support, do they need a COS ??

GMPX
January 26th, 2011, 07:46 PM
E40 (05/06 GenIV) yes, but E37, E38, E67, E39 & E78 all come from GM with boost support up to 255kPa.

Taz
January 26th, 2011, 08:52 PM
With all the activity in this thread, I never did get an answer to my question in post #29 ... when you get a chance.

Thanks,
Taz

Blacky
January 26th, 2011, 08:55 PM
With all the activity in this thread, I never did get an answer to my question in post #29 ... when you get a chance.

Thanks,
Taz

Does this doc help explain the OS compatibility between model years?
http://download.efilive.com/Documentation/OS%20Compatibility%20Guide.pdf

Regards
Paul

Taz
January 26th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Thank you for the quick response. I'm clear on compatibility ... just wondering if "full flash" now means no need to flash in a base tune (8 cylinder tune) with Tech 2 / Mongoose with the E38 when using a donor ECM from a 6 cylinder (ie. Impala), to run an 8 cylinder (ie. Sierra) application.

It's 3:00 AM here ... my thinking is not at a peak ... hopefully that makes sense.

Regards,
Taz

L31Sleeper
January 27th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Are you talking LS1? That is the only controller that requires the process you mentioned. And that process won't change sorry.

Hey Hey, they are my favorite PCMs. A lot of people don't realize they were
used on all the LS1 cars and trucks through 06 and the last L31s that is
what makes the 411 swap possible. I guess I could do the OS & CAL flash
on the bench with a spare PCM.

GMPX
January 27th, 2011, 11:51 AM
just wondering if "full flash" now means no need to flash in a base tune (8 cylinder tune) with Tech 2 / Mongoose with the E38 when using a donor ECM from a 6 cylinder (ie. Impala), to run an 8 cylinder (ie. Sierra) application.
TIS2WEB / Mongoose still needed to do that.

Taz
January 27th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Thank you ... that functionality did seem too good to be true !

Cheers,
Taz

swingtan
January 27th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I'm cornfused ?? What is this mystery tune ??

It's no "mystery tune", just one of about 5 beta COS's files made for the early E38's. They have remained static for about 30 months (2.5 years) so are missing a lot of parameters that are now in the std. calibration files but did have the ability for "switchable tunes". The Valet and NOS (which use as for towing) modes were what I used most but as they are so old now, I'm moving away from the COS. As already mentioned....

There was only 5 OS's ever converted in the Beta, all released prior to mid 2008. No later OS's were done.
There is no ongoing support for the old Beta COS's, hence why the VVE tables have now stopped working.
They are missing many calibrations that were added in the past 30 months. Checking my OS shows 98 additional calibrations in the stock OS.
It appears that the "upgrade OS" option no longer works anyway for these files.

I think we should let these OS's rest in peace now....

Simon.

lakingslayer
January 28th, 2011, 11:25 AM
I did all the updates at the beginning of this thread to my PC and V2. I loaded in a new config and set up the new ECM and TCM designators i.e. LLY-> E60. When I try to flash a cal to the truck I get a message on the V2 that I need to license my V2 for my ECM. I looked on the tuning tool at the licensing info and everything seems good there. What am I doing wrong? This is for BB flashing. I have not tried pass his through yet. I appreciate any suggestions.

Blacky
January 28th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I did all the updates at the beginning of this thread to my PC and V2. I loaded in a new config and set up the new ECM and TCM designators i.e. LLY-> E60. When I try to flash a cal to the truck I get a message on the V2 that I need to license my V2 for my ECM. I looked on the tuning tool at the licensing info and everything seems good there. What am I doing wrong? This is for BB flashing. I have not tried pass his through yet. I appreciate any suggestions.
After getting that message can you locate the matching *.htx file in the folder \My Documents\EFILive\V8\Trace
The matching file will be one that has the date/time embedded in its filename thatmatches the date/time when you got the problem.
Please, send it to me at paul@efilive.com

Regards
Paul

lakingslayer
January 28th, 2011, 02:17 PM
After getting that message can you locate the matching *.htx file in the folder \My Documents\EFILive\V8\Trace
The matching file will be one that has the date/time embedded in its filename thatmatches the date/time when you got the problem.
Please, send it to me at paul@efilive.com

Regards
Paul

Thanks for the response Paul. The folder is empty. I'm using the BB Flashing and not the PC with pass thru with 7.5. The PC with pass thru works fine. It's just when I try to use the V2 by itself. The first thing I noticed after choosing the tune file which displays E60 then below that is the tune file "LLY_0007.ctd" which is on the SD card. After I choose that then I get "Trying MFG Key". Then it checks the tune file and then gives me the message "License this controller now?" I choose no.

ScarabEpic22
January 28th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Im having an interesting issue trying to BBFF a T42 file. I wiped my V2 and SD card, then recopied all the latest files after upgrading to the newest fw. Went out and read the existing file, worked great. Tried to BBFF a T42 file with a different OS, get error $0502 File not found. Tried to BBFF the old file back in, worked fine. Any ideas?

Tordne
January 28th, 2011, 03:47 PM
The $0502 error is indicating that the necessary script files have not been copied/programmed. Check on the V2 Config filesystem for the T42_F.*

Blacky
January 29th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the response Paul. The folder is empty. I'm using the BB Flashing and not the PC with pass thru with 7.5. The PC with pass thru works fine. It's just when I try to use the V2 by itself. The first thing I noticed after choosing the tune file which displays E60 then below that is the tune file "LLY_0007.ctd" which is on the SD card. After I choose that then I get "Trying MFG Key". Then it checks the tune file and then gives me the message "License this controller now?" I choose no.

After successfully flashing the controller in pass-thru, please find the matching *.htx file and send it.
After getting the "License this controller now?" message and selecting "No", please save a trace file on FlashScan, copy the trace file to the PC and send that as well.

Thanks.
Paul

Blacky
January 29th, 2011, 12:37 AM
The $0502 error is indicating that the necessary script files have not been copied/programmed. Check on the V2 Config filesystem for the T42_F.*
Although, if the original file can be BBFF then that indicates all necessary files are available.
One thing that does come to mind is the filename length. I think it needs to 16 or less characters long.
Regards
Paul

jay p
January 29th, 2011, 05:46 AM
I had the same problem with my LBZ. I had to define the PID and tune controller under BBx in the V8 software (right click and select controller). The PID was showing unknown & A40 and the tune was blank for LBZ. All the diesels were blank in the tune section and unknown in the PID section. Pass thru was never a problem for me.

Blacky
January 29th, 2011, 04:51 PM

I've managed to confirm it is a bug with the E60 flash routine in FlashScan. I have fixed it and the fix will be in the next update.
Meanwhile, don't license it using BBF, just use the pass-through mode where it detects the license correctly for now.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
January 29th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I had the same problem with my LBZ. I had to define the PID and tune controller under BBx in the V8 software (right click and select controller). The PID was showing unknown & A40 and the tune was blank for LBZ. All the diesels were blank in the tune section and unknown in the PID section. Pass thru was never a problem for me.

That may be because we have changed the codes used to identify the LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM and LML controllers.

The changes are:
LB7 is now E54
LLY is now E60
LBZ is now E35A
LMM is now E35B
LML is now E86

You may need to double click on each of the entries that reference any of those controllers and re-select the correct controllers based on the new codes.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
January 29th, 2011, 04:58 PM
That may be because we have changed the codes used to identify the LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM and LML controllers.

The changes are:
LB7 is now E54
LLY is now E60
LBZ is now E35A
LMM is now E35B
LML is now E86

You may need to double click on each of the entries that reference any of those controllers and re-select the correct controllers based on the new codes.

Regards
Paul

I have now changed the code that reads the Options.txt file and it now automatically makes those changes.
That will be available in the next update.

Regards
Paul

lakingslayer
January 29th, 2011, 06:38 PM
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the support.

ScarabEpic22
January 30th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Although, if the original file can be BBFF then that indicates all necessary files are available.
One thing that does come to mind is the filename length. I think it needs to 16 or less characters long.
Regards
Paul

OK Ill try that today, it is a different OS if that makes a difference. Ill try renaming the files a few different ways to see if it works.

oztracktuning
January 30th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Since this new version when i open E38 files the red options to enable patches is not appearing even when Flashscan is plugged in. Is this happening with everyone?

GAMEOVER
January 30th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Since this new version when i open E38 files the red options to enable patches is not appearing even when Flashscan is plugged in. Is this happening with everyone?

I don't see them either....

Blacky
January 30th, 2011, 02:32 PM
It is a known issue, it is fixed and an update is almost ready (in about 30 minutes)...
Regards
Paul

Blacky
January 30th, 2011, 02:42 PM
New update available here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15552-January-31st-2011-pre-release

Regards
Paul

swingtan
February 23rd, 2011, 03:08 PM
I'm a bit confused on this one......

I've swapped back to the STD OS of my car 12607218 and can no longer BBF the E38 controller. I continually get the following...

"ERROR: $0502
Script file not found."

But if I try and BBF the old COS "02607218" I do not get the error.

V7.5.6.149
V8.1.2.142

V2 Firmware 2.07.05 29/01/2011

Config Files:

E38.pmm 19/01/2011
E38_F.obj 23/12/2010
E38_F.bix 03/02/2011
E38_L.bix 23/11/2010
E38_R.bix 18/01/2011
E38_R.obj 03/02/2011
E38_W.bix 23/12/2010
E38_W.bix 03/02/2011

Any ideas on this? It seems it has been doing it for the last few updates as I've gone from build 139 through to 149 trying to get it working.

Simon

Blacky
February 23rd, 2011, 03:19 PM
I've just heard of another similar complaint but with a T43 controller. I'm still investigating, but it is possibly that the file that causes the $0502 error is an old file and does not contain enough (or incorrect) information in the meta data section of the *.ctd file. Specifically the OS and/or Stream settings. Can you please send me (paul@efilive.com) the file that works and the file that does not work and I'll check.

Regards
Paul

swingtan
February 23rd, 2011, 03:29 PM
On their way.....

oztracktuning
February 23rd, 2011, 04:25 PM
Update everything, including saving the old tune file with the new version.
Also do bootblock, firmware and
reload the BBX settings using EFILive Scan and Tune.

I thought you enjoy challenges like that Simon.!

Blacky
February 23rd, 2011, 04:30 PM
I can see what the problem is, but not what is causing it.
The problem is that the "failed" file is missing a "magic identifier" in the header section (see image).
Compounding the problem was a bug in the V7 and V8 software that did not "notice" that the magic number was missing - making the software "assume" that the file was invalid which in turn caused the script file name (i.e. object file) to not get initialized correctly which in turn led to the $0502 error "Object file not found". So I need to fix the magic number not being recognized as missing and I also need to make it return the correct error number in the case of a missing magic number.

However, that still does not address the underlying cause of why the magic number is blank in the first place. How did you create the "failed file"?
- did you read it using pass-thru V7 (which build number?)
- did you read it using pass-thru V8 (which build number?)
- did you read it using BBR (which firmware version?)
- did you open it from disk and re-save it using V7 (which build number?)
- did you open it from disk and re-save it using V8 (which build number?)
- some other option that I haven't thought of?

Regards
Paul

Chuck CoW
February 23rd, 2011, 04:40 PM
Well, for me... I sent the guy a file (which I've used before) and it failed to flash... I noticed the serial and vin # missing which

I thought was the initial problem... (not sure why it returned a script file missing error) and then after Paul's request, I

created the new tune file from the customers original .ctd read of the T43... Customer has not yet tried to remote flash it yet,

but I guess Paul still sees the missing magic identifier.....

Strangely enough, I've had customers install the latest software (as did this guy) and nobody has complained yet....

Also, I did update the customers firmware and latest scripts.

Yes, my laptop has the latest software and the V2 has the latest firmware.

Chuck CoW

swingtan
February 23rd, 2011, 04:48 PM
How did you create the "failed file"?
- did you read it using pass-thru V7 (which build number?)
- did you read it using pass-thru V8 (which build number?)
- did you read it using BBR (which firmware version?)
- did you open it from disk and re-save it using V7 (which build number?)
- did you open it from disk and re-save it using V8 (which build number?)
- some other option that I haven't thought of?

Yes. It was a copy of my original file from 2007. So what ever version of V7 was around then.
No
No
Yes, opened in V7 but unsure of the build number as I went to 149 to see if it fixed the problem. I think it was 147 or 148 though.
No

Finally, I did open it as a .tun file, then applied a script to it generated from the COS tun before saving it as the .ctd file.

Steve, I'm already on latest BB/firmware. I also formated the config directory and reloaded all the config files. Also saving the file with the newer version makes no difference.

Simon

swingtan
February 23rd, 2011, 04:59 PM
Oh, did you want a copy of the original .run file?

Sent from my HTC Desire

Blacky
February 23rd, 2011, 05:02 PM
Oh, did you want a copy of the original .run file?

Sent from my HTC Desire
No thanks, I've got all the info I need... I'll be working on it tonight until I figure it out.
Regards
Paul

swingtan
February 23rd, 2011, 05:18 PM
Oh, OK. I sent it anyway, so just delete it :p

GMPX
February 23rd, 2011, 05:19 PM
Sent from my HTC Desire
Do we care :hihi:

swingtan
February 23rd, 2011, 06:00 PM
Just letting you know that some are using the tap-tap talk plug in......

Sent from my HTC Desire

GMPX
February 23rd, 2011, 06:36 PM
No Problem.

Sent from my PC which has a Gigabyte H55-USB3 MB with an i5 quad core, GT430 video card.

ScarabEpic22
February 23rd, 2011, 07:46 PM
Wonder if this is my issue BBF'ing my P10 as Ive applied all the latest updates and formatted everything at least 2x now. Ill check again in a few weeks when Im home again, but is there any way to fix the magic identifer? Seems even when I took my original .tun that I pulled back in 2005 and just opened it in V7 (probably around build 139-143, cant remember exactly) and resaved as a .ctd to BBF it gave me the $0502 error. Did the same thing with my T42 file I converted from a .tun, but if I BBR the file first then I could BBF that one back in.

Sent from my HP dv6t Quad Edition Core i7-2630QM, ATi Radeon HD 6570M 1GB, Bluray rom, 640gb 7200rpm hdd. :D (and crap this one has to go back to HP, dang Intel's Cougar Point chipset having the SATA quality degrading over a few years. Ive had it for maybe 3 weeks now :( )

swingtan
February 23rd, 2011, 09:02 PM
I'm trying a new test. I've read the tune out with build 149/142 and made a couple of adjustments. Then saved the tune as a .ctd to the SD card ready for BBF test. Doing this results in a successful BBF. So I think the magic numbers were missed very early on and the save process does not generate the magic number again.

Simon.

Sent from my HTC Desire (again)....

ScarabEpic22
February 23rd, 2011, 10:36 PM
Hmmm ok Ill try flashing the stock tune then reading it back out and modifying that.

Wonder if my magic number was missing from the beginning and is the reason I couldnt BBF.

swingtan
February 23rd, 2011, 11:01 PM
I reckon that's it in a nut shell. Some time in the past the magic number was either not used, or dropped out of the code for some reason. Back when BBF didn't exist, this wasn't a problem as the old laptop flash process didn't need it. Then when BBF came in, the magic numbers became importent, but as it occurred just after BBR, it's likely that most people tried reading tunes first, which created the magic number. The used BBF on those read tunes so all was OK. It's not until you went back and used and old laptop read tune that the problem became apparent. I'm also going to guess the problem only occurs with early OS's in each controller, later OS's that came out after the magic number became important probably have it configured automatically.

Whatever the cause, the work around is fairly easy.

Flash the tune in with the laptop
BBR the tune back out
Continue tuning with the newly read tune

Of course if you're stuck with BBF only, then it may be a bit harder. However I guess we could work on a set of known good OS's with magic numbers, then youjust need to create a script from the tune you have to apply to the new base tune.

Simon

gmh308
February 23rd, 2011, 11:45 PM
No Problem.

Sent from my PC which has a Gigabyte H55-USB3 MB with an i5 quad core, GT430 video card.

But without a tap tap talk plug in..... :)

aaronr
April 9th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Did this issue get fixed yet. I have same issue with BB trying to flash tunes. I will try the work around on post #76. Thanks

Blacky
April 9th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Yes it should be fixed in the currently available version here:
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133

Regards
Paul

aaronr
April 9th, 2011, 04:04 PM
O.K. I made sure all my stuff is updated but still getting same errors. I tried to to read my tune with the bb and got a message that says options.txt is empty. When I try to flash tune with bb error $0502 scrip file not found.
Thanks

Tordne
April 9th, 2011, 04:35 PM
The $0502 error is common and could simply be a symptom of your not having configured and programmed any BBX functionality to your FlashScan v2 device (which is supported by the Option.txt message you're getting as well).

Use the EFILive Scan and Tune application to configure your device and BBX Options (be sure to select the controllers in the Tune section). Then 'Program' (by clicking the 'Program' button) those settings to your FlashScan V2. That will copy down the scripts necessary to support your configured controller selections.

aaronr
April 10th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Thanks guys. I got working.