PDA

View Full Version : PCM can do this?

VetPet
December 18th, 2005, 03:04 AM
Have any of you ever heard that the PCM can revert itself back to it's original factory stock tune on it's own? A friend of mine whose buddy works at GM was telling him that the PCM's are designed to let you think that you've changed the tune but will revert back to the original stock tune on their own. I'm having a hard time believing this and think it's just his way of discouraging people from doing anything to the PCM (towing the party line). Anyone have some feedback?

:cheers:

TAQuickness
December 18th, 2005, 03:06 AM
I smell a turd!

I don't thing the PCM has enough memory to store a second tune, much less the code to revert it self back. I know if my PCM reverted back to the stock tune, my car would literally jump off the road from all the bucking and surging.

Bruce Melton
December 18th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Somewhere in the info flow there is BS.

VetPet
December 18th, 2005, 03:36 PM
:exactly: I didn't believe it but had to ask out of curiousity. If their was any truth to what he said I know you guys with big cams would be running into trouble and it would have been a pretty newsworthy item. I guess some people think the general is omnipitent.

:cheers: :beer:

Delco
December 18th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Have any of you ever heard that the PCM can revert itself back to it's original factory stock tune on it's own? A friend of mine whose buddy works at GM was telling him that the PCM's are designed to let you think that you've changed the tune but will revert back to the original stock tune on their own. I'm having a hard time believing this and think it's just his way of discouraging people from doing anything to the PCM (towing the party line). Anyone have some feedback?

:cheers:
Yes its the little green men , they send a message to area 52 and it switches back :banana:

BowlingSS
December 19th, 2005, 12:51 AM
He has been drinking too much :beer: .

Bill

VetPet
December 19th, 2005, 09:11 AM
If he's been drinking then the guy from GM must have gotten into a bad bad of medicinal herbs! :rockon:

johnsZ06
December 19th, 2005, 09:42 AM
The machines will take over...

wait4me
December 19th, 2005, 10:46 AM
It could be possible, but unlikely... On the vortech computers, they use the same flash chip as a ls1, yet they only use 256k of it on the 96-97 pcm, So, Technically, if the pcm requested to read from the other bank, what would happen? or, if you would take a chip from a 03 and put it into a 99-02 pcm, it could have two images of the 512k banks. Not saying that it is True, But it could have been a possibility if they wanted it too.. ????? lol

Bruce Melton
December 19th, 2005, 10:52 AM
It could be possible, but unlikely... On the vortech computers, they use the same flash chip as a ls1, yet they only use 256k of it on the 96-97 pcm, So, Technically, if the pcm requested to read from the other bank, what would happen? or, if you would take a chip from a 03 and put it into a 99-02 pcm, it could have two images of the 512k banks. Not saying that it is True, But it could have been a possibility if they wanted it too.. ????? lol

Suspect it one of those urban legends. Like the oil companies knocking off the guy who invented the 100MPG carburator.