PDA

View Full Version : E-ROD Tuning Support

GMPX
January 26th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Hi All,

The next beta update (probably due in a day or two) will have tuning support for the new GMPP E-ROD ECM. This is just like the older GMPP ECM's in that it's an E67 with some slightly modified code from GM production cars.
We have completed the mapping for the LS3 tune on this, if anyone else comes across one of these not running an LS3 can they please read the stock tune and Email it in. It's probably going to be the same OS with a different part number and therefore show as unsupported.
Someone has also put a little text marker in the ECM tune :hihi: 'HOT RODDING A REVOLUTION IN LS3 E-ROD GMPP 19244810'

Thanks,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
January 26th, 2011, 09:20 PM
So would that someone be you, or the guys at GMPP? :D

GMPX
January 26th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Not us, someone at GMPP.
Back in the mid 90's Holden/HSV release a calibration that contained the text "aftermarket tunes are s**t", yep, every HSV getting around has that in it.

S10Wildside
January 27th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Not us, someone at GMPP.
Back in the mid 90's Holden/HSV release a calibration that contained the text "aftermarket tunes are s**t", yep, every HSV getting around has that in it.

That's funny!

kangsta
January 27th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Not us, someone at GMPP.

If i remeber rightly there was also a tribute to one of their calibrators lol

GMPX
January 27th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Yes, you are right, that was in another.
I'm sure on some dusty and scratched CD I have a bunch of the old Holden Memcal files, it would be funny to find them again.

scdyne
January 27th, 2011, 10:06 AM
once I found some code that said DEAD in hex.. sorry I couldn't resist.

joecar
January 27th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Motorola used to put 0xDEADBEEF in not yet allocated memory.

swingtan
January 27th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Can I get some clarification here?

Is this a new ECM / Calibration for all new HSV's. If so, that would be pretty typical. 5 years ago I bought a new VZ SS, the first of the E38 ECM's here in Aus and a bit over a year latter started getting into tuning at the bleeding edge back then. Now my lease is up and I'm looking at possibly upgrading to a Tourer, am I going to again be at the bleeding edge? Ahh... the joys of tuning :D

Simon

Tordne
January 27th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Nah, the E-ROD is a GMPP crate motor for hot rod projects. Any HSV you get will have a "normal" factory OS.

Boost
January 27th, 2011, 11:44 AM
This is too funny :)

GMPX
January 27th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Motorola used to put 0xDEADBEEF in not yet allocated memory.
In all the PowerPC based ECM's Bosch still do this.

swingtan
January 27th, 2011, 12:21 PM
RE: HSV.... Excellent.

RE: Hidden code, there is also the one where a certain coder implies that any one reading the source looks like they have dressed up in a Halloween costume. Probably the best one I've herd of recently was when the writers of a virus said hello to the techs at Kaspersky and McAfee in their code.

GMPX
January 27th, 2011, 01:47 PM
RE: Hidden code, there is also the one where a certain coder implies that any one reading the source looks like they have dressed up in a Halloween costume.
At least I now know people are reverse engineering our custom OS's :moon1:
I have a range of them out there for those inquisitive minds, though don't bother looking at the E38 stuff, I must have lost my sense of humour by then.

swingtan
January 27th, 2011, 03:40 PM
not actually reverse engineering, just trying to work out how the fueling is mapped out. I hadn't actually opened a .bin file for a couple of years till I checked one today and even then I didn't do a lot with it. I got a laugh out of the comment though...

Warren
February 2nd, 2011, 11:02 PM
Hi
We are very new to this we have the GMPP E67 e rod kit with fly by wire fitted to a stock LS7 crate motor,there are no cats,standard exhaust and a better air filter system,it all seems to run fine but the map is not good with very slight knocking and lean in places,what tune (map) do these have, should it not be plug and play,at the start of the thread it said you were just starting to look at these what does that mean
Thanks

Tordne
February 2nd, 2011, 11:11 PM
They are just a new calibration at the end if the day for us. It is just an ECM and operating system variant that GM are shipping with their E-Rod LS3 now.

Warren
February 2nd, 2011, 11:17 PM
Is this the same for the LS7 package,should it not work out of the box

Warren
February 2nd, 2011, 11:38 PM
what is meant by e rod tuning support is this the set up i have with the E67 and the LS7 engine

gmh308
February 2nd, 2011, 11:43 PM
what is meant by e rod tuning support is this the set up i have with the E67 and the LS7 engine

You mentioned no cats. The eRod kit comes with cats. If you are running an E67 with GMPP LS7 tune it should run fine stock. LS7 produces its 505HP through cats with regular gas.

Warren
February 2nd, 2011, 11:52 PM
The kit came with lambda x 2,map sensor,loom,ECU (control unit),fly by wire throttle no cats,the uk agent (EFI)came and checked it out but the map is all over the place.I am not sure what e rod means but assume it is the kit.hELP !!!

gmh308
February 3rd, 2011, 01:01 AM
If it didnt come with cats etc., its probably not an eRod kit but a regular GMPP kit. NBD on that anyways. What do you mean the MAP is all over the place. Have you got the o2 sensors and MAF sensor installed?

ringram
February 3rd, 2011, 02:46 AM
I had a look with the guys yesterday and the with the maf connected in the fuel trims were +25% and with it unplugged they read -25% so something is badly amiss. Thats at idle I should say.
I suggested checking fuel pressure and injectors etc. Pressure should be flat and not MAP referenced shouldnt it!? Maf isnt strictly speaking in the recommended config, its located close to a bend in the intake etc.
I suggested we check all the hardware setup and do the usual auto VVE with no trims and maf to see how far out the base was and see if there was an issue in the gmpp map causing the bad fueling.
We reset the checksums which are dodgy as read so we have a baseline to fall back to in any case.

Also by way of interest Warren is using the fan output to fire the fans, but there is no system segment in the cal file so we cant control fan/temp trigger. Ross any chance this can be added into the GMPP E67 cal?

gmh308
February 3rd, 2011, 03:00 AM
Is it a genuine LS7 calibration and not an LS2? It will have LS7 in the VIN if it is LS7 and 5g/s injectors. Yes pressure is constant 58psi. Fans turn on at 99C. OS = 19211212?

MAP is all over the place? Does it have a regular 1 bar MAP?

ringram
February 6th, 2011, 08:40 AM
MAP seems to read fine. Injectors look like LS7. Starting at 5.x and ramping up from there.. Warren has the OS to confirm, but it had LS7 on the ECU. Maybe the maf sensor is dodgy.
Maybe we will go back to stock with just checksums done to confirm nothing went wonky with the tune.
Just not sure why fuel trims are so far out with the stock tune..!?

trudynosports
March 17th, 2011, 04:20 AM
I tried to calibrate a GMPP LS2 kit this past weekend and could not read the ECM. Wrong seed/key? The ECM was mounted up under the street rod and not easily visible but I showed the guy an E40 ECM and he said that's what it looked like with two connectors. The part number according to his paperwork is 19165484.

GMPX
March 17th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I tried to calibrate a GMPP LS2 kit this past weekend and could not read the ECM. Wrong seed/key? The ECM was mounted up under the street rod and not easily visible but I showed the guy an E40 ECM and he said that's what it looked like with two connectors. The part number according to his paperwork is 19165484.
That would be an E38 then.

trudynosports
March 17th, 2011, 12:47 PM
That would be an E38 then.

My fault, I was looking at an E38 as I was typing the post, lol. The ECM I couldn't unlock had the three connectors and datalogged perfect with my E40 PIDS. I'm thinking of swapping in a production E40 for now. The part number I got off the documents doesn't appear to be a good number that I can find anyway.

ScarabEpic22
March 17th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Its probably an E67 then?