PDA

View Full Version : E38 High Octane Spark{B5101} & Cam Phaser{B5154}

GAMEOVER
January 27th, 2011, 06:15 AM
I've been playing around with Spark Advance on my truck, and I notice(in data logs) no matter what I do to B5101 lower or raise timing values, the cam Phaser B5154 always adds unwanted timing up to 10 degrees more than what i command in my High Octane spark table....which leads to Knock Retard!!! Would it be safe to ZERO out the cam phaser table and never have it add or subtract timing at all...In the summer i can trace the timing advance & retard coming from different table's CAM Phaser, IAT, ECT,...e.t.c. but right now in real cold weather the CAM Phaser is adding too much...:D

I always use 91 Octane & NGK-TR6/TR5 plugs....
Cl-MAF only...AFR is 12.6-12.8 under WOT

RonC
January 27th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I have done that in my 2007 Denali and then tuned it as you normally would. I also took out the "colored section" of the B7934 thru B7937 cam phasing tables by putting the same # across the whole line. That made it a lot easier to tune for me.

GAMEOVER
January 29th, 2011, 05:25 AM
This is the table I'm talking about...{B5154}

RonC
January 29th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Yes, I put "0" in all those first and then modified B7934 thru B7937 in the cam phasing tables by putting the same # that was in the rest of the rpm line across the whole line to eliminate the "EGR" effect (colored section). The timing will reflect what you have in the main spark tables then and some will need to be raised.

It works for me and is much simpler to tune if you have your cam phaser advance tables where you want them. If you change them you may have to alter your timing tables again slightly.

GAMEOVER
February 5th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I tried "0's" in the cam phasing area and now the extra timing isn't being added at WOT....No Knock either

RonC
February 5th, 2011, 04:23 PM
You did mean that you put "0"s in all of the cam phaser timing table B5154 and not the cam phaser position tables B7934 thru B7937? If you put "0" in all of the phaser tables it would also not add timing at WOT but it also would not advance the cam, not a good thing.

GAMEOVER
February 6th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I first tried "0's" everywhere, no power & felt sluggish @ WOT...:shock: Then I tried what you said with the B7934 thru B7937 tables, did a couple of data logs added timing where I needed and truck is back to it's old self and ECM isn't adding the extra 10-12 degrees of timing at WOT and best of all "NO KNOCK RETARD"...:D