PDA

View Full Version : Cannot unlock ECM after I generate a key for it

vortecfcar
February 7th, 2011, 08:50 AM
This just happened to me on a customers truck. I locked the ECM using a key generated by my V2. Now I cannot unlock his ECM - Bootloader rejected on the first try everytime. Put it on the bench harness, same thing.

I've had this happen to a couple of other LB7 ECM's, but thought it was a fluke. Now it's expensive.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Nick

Blacky
February 7th, 2011, 10:39 AM
When a PCM is locked by FlashScan a saved, encrypted version of the key is stored on your laptop.
Locate the file C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Configuration\PCMLocks.ini.
Open the file using Notepad and search for the section (in square brackets) in the file that matches the locked controller's serial number.
Then send the two entries in that section to me and I can tell you the key that was used to lock it.

For example: if the locked controller's serial number was "86K16158ABR1"
Search for an entry like this:
[86K16158ABR1]
Seed=$EF10
Key=$D503A801

Then send me the Seed and Key values in that section:
Seed=$EF10
Key=$D503A801

Regards
Paul

Blacky
February 7th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Another thing to try to unlock the controller using the key: $FFFF
That is what the key can get set to if something fails during the lock/flash process.

Also try unlocking with the "Alt-keys" option checked.

Regards
Paul

vortecfcar
February 7th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the help Paul.

I searched the document but "cannot find [2291M00C2169]"

I tried $FFFF and alt keys (and also just alt keys blank) with no success.

Any other ideas?

Nick

Blacky
February 7th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Sometimes the serial number is a little different than what the truck reports.
Are there any entries that look similar to that serial number?

The keys are added in order, send me the last 4 or 5 entries in the file and I'll send back the keys for all of them for you to try.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
February 7th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Also, check in the folder C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\ for another copy of PCMLocks.ini, there may be two versions of that file.
Regards
Paul

GMC-2002-Dmax
February 8th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Over the last 5+ years I have only ever had the LB7 ecm's fail to unlock, usually it was because the serial number got jumbled, all or only part of the serial number may be correct. If you look carefully you will find the jumbled serial number.

As a side note, why do you bother to lock ecm's, don't you email your tunes to everyone and have them open sourced in your tune library ?? Why bother locking something you give away to everyone ??? Seems to be causing you headaches you could otherwise avoid.

vortecfcar
February 14th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I have only ever had the LB7 ecm's fail to unlock, usually it was because the serial number got jumbled, all or only part of the serial number may be correct. If you look carefully you will find the jumbled serial number.

Thank you

duramaxdaddy29
March 27th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I am have the same problem I think its happening when I reflash for the first time and lock all at once. I have learned my lesson but this is a truck I need to unlock. Thanks for the help in advance. Matt

duramaxdaddy29
March 27th, 2012, 12:18 PM
In other words I dont know which numbers got jumbled around. And I tried the $FFFF

dixiespeed2009
April 23rd, 2013, 05:01 PM
Paul,

I am having the same problem that Nick experienced. I opened a question in the helpdesk and included the info that you need to get me the key. Is there anything else you need from me?

Thanks in advance!!

Blacky
April 23rd, 2013, 05:20 PM
I'm checking the helpdesk now...
Paul