PDA

View Full Version : Can you slave in a ECM

pavetim
February 8th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I have an LB7 and a friend who has an lb7 also. Can I take his ecm and put it i my truck to flash some tunes?

joecar
February 8th, 2011, 11:38 AM
A license attaches to an ECM not a VIN.

So, it will still cost you a license doing it like that; it would be simpler/quicker to just flash it in his truck.

bballer182
February 8th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Licenses are based on the serial number within ECM not the VIN.

pavetim
February 9th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Don't know why he don't want to bring his truck, maybe too far to drive, maybe it's broke lol. He just asked me if I could slave it in and flash the tune. I know i'd need a license just making sure nothing else will clash.

ScarabEpic22
February 9th, 2011, 01:29 PM
You can probably do that, Ive thrown PCMs/ECMs/TCMs in cars to test them and read them out before. Never flashed, for that you might have to do a VATS relink/relearn for your truck then do it. Probably easier for your friend to drive to you or buy a bench harness.

ChipsByAl
February 9th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I am not sure about different model years but, if you are not planning on starting your truck with his ECM then flashing will work OK.
Al

pavetim
February 10th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Is there something that goes thru how to make a bench harness? I found the tutorial here but it just shows wiring pinouts, not sure what wires i'd have to use.