PDA

View Full Version : Need some pionters on 6 Speed 6L80E Transmission

GAMEOVER
February 10th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Can someone share some pointers on 6L80E transmission tuning...Like what to focus on & what to stay away from...:shock:
Going to be working on a 2011 Silverado 6.2ltr 6 speed 6L80E truck with a Magnacharger in a couple of weeks...I've yet to touch a 6L80E, the 4L60E is fun to work with, 6L80E looks way more complicated than it's 4 speed brother...:D

gmh308
February 12th, 2011, 02:42 PM
What do you want to achieve? It is way more complicated. As Ross once commented...something like...it was designed by Aliens. :)

GAMEOVER
February 12th, 2011, 06:05 PM
What do you want to achieve? It is way more complicated. As Ross once commented...something like...it was designed by Aliens. :)

A good/firm shifting 6 speed at WOT...:D
I kind of understand Shift Control, Normal Shift Speeds, WOT Shift Speeds & WOT Shift RPM. But, should all TM be completely turned off? What is Pattern A-B? Are all shift times exactly the same at .2998? Should Shift Pressure be adjusted or left alone?...:shock:

GAMEOVER
February 14th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Anyone willing to offer some pointers or advice?

gmperformancecentre
February 14th, 2011, 08:52 PM
PM Steve (Oztrack) I'm sure he can help you out

gmh308
February 15th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Anyone willing to offer some pointers or advice?

Am trying to figure a simple way to communicate a few things. :)

But...keep TM on (IMHO - especially if rev matching is in operation), work at reducing the shift times to something you like the feel of, and log things like trans pressures and shift times, speeds to keep track of where you have come from and where you are going. :)

Tre-Cool
February 15th, 2011, 02:41 AM
heres is mine. this runs behing a cammed/supercharged VE commodore with a 3600 circle'd stall and 3.46 gears. The stall is locked in 3rd, 4th gears, no problems at all.

this transmission has over 105K km's now and is still going strong.

i hardly ever put my boot into it on the highway. i.e go from 6th to 3rd etc. i tend to drop back to 4th and use the stall. if im going to cain the shit out of it. i will drop back in manual mode first.

gmh308
February 16th, 2011, 11:36 PM
heres is mine. this runs behing a cammed/supercharged VE commodore with a 3600 circle'd stall and 3.46 gears. The stall is locked in 3rd, 4th gears, no problems at all.

this transmission has over 105K km's now and is still going strong.

i hardly ever put my boot into it on the highway. i.e go from 6th to 3rd etc. i tend to drop back to 4th and use the stall. if im going to cain the shit out of it. i will drop back in manual mode first.

That's pretty impressive considering the (undeservedly) bad press the A6 gets. Shows that if its tuned right and treated right it handles plenty of high performance and strip work. :)

Tre-Cool
February 17th, 2011, 01:22 AM
indeed. this combo has ran 11.6@120mph on street tyres.

joecar
February 17th, 2011, 04:16 AM
+1 on what Ian said, impressive.

Tre-Cool can you post your stock unedited file also, please. :)

Tre-Cool
February 17th, 2011, 11:37 PM
i dont have the original. it's the same base tune any of the 06/07 model tcm's had in them.

im putting it on the dyno tomorrow, so will post the output of the stall unlocked vs locked.

joecar
February 18th, 2011, 03:41 AM

im putting it on the dyno tomorrow, so will post the output of the stall unlocked vs locked.Yes, please post this :cheers:

Tre-Cool
February 18th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I didnt get a chance to do a unstalled run today as i want to dial in my meth tune. so all the runs in the below graph are with the stall locked in 4th gear.
file ending with 013 was petrol only with flat 12afr's & 495rwhp the other runs are with the meth.

http://www.vyssute.com/downloads/vessv-dyno.jpg

the speed at the bottom is out, but i revved the engine to 6700rpm.

P.S i dont run a trans cooler either.

Tre-Cool
February 19th, 2011, 06:49 PM
went to a dyno day today. cooler weather today so the car made 536.6rwhp, exactly 400rwkw once converted.

Awesome.

joecar
February 19th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Impressive mate :cheers:

gmh308
February 21st, 2011, 02:07 AM
P.S i dont run a trans cooler either.

Interesting... neither to I, and it is hard to get it to 100C even on a high 30's day in traffic.

joecar
February 21st, 2011, 04:14 AM
Does the 6L80/90 lock the TCC most of the time...?

Tre-Cool
February 21st, 2011, 02:00 PM
um. only when you tell it to. standard tcc in a commodore is around the 1800rpm mark so you cant really tell when it's locked or unlocked anyway.

with the larger stall you can definetly feel the difference in the shifts between locked and unlocked. if the tcc is locked you get more a thump into gear, kinda like a manual gearbox. with it unlocked it feels like it glides in. more softer shift. obviously im talking at shifts below the 4000rpm mark here for both.

wot shifts in mine are hard & fast.

joecar
February 21st, 2011, 08:56 PM
I meant in terms of the fluid not overheating (without a cooler).

TBMSport
February 23rd, 2011, 10:45 PM
A good/firm shifting 6 speed at WOT...:D
I kind of understand Shift Control, Normal Shift Speeds, WOT Shift Speeds & WOT Shift RPM. But, should all TM be completely turned off? What is Pattern A-B? Are all shift times exactly the same at .2998? Should Shift Pressure be adjusted or left alone?...:shock:

I'm playing with settings to accomplish a good WOT upshift, quick downshift, and smooth regular upshifts with my Trailblazer 5.3L with Escalade 6L80 and 3.42 gears. Making matters worse, I'm trying to learn some tricks with the traction control as it has an open diff out back.

I started with copy/pasting a Cadillac CTS-V tune in the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 WOT upshift categories. It was horrendous....realized there are different clutches and torque converters. With that I found a middle ground and have gone from there. As of now I am using a .2000 in the aforementioned WOT categories and it gives me what I want. Good firm upshifts at WOT and smooth upshifts at partial throttle. Of course there is room to improve, but time is not permitting.

The key is to document what changes you make and to make minor changes to limited categories to monitor your progress/regress.

gmh308
February 24th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Does the 6L80/90 lock the TCC most of the time...?

Generally it depends on whether one prefers to alter TCC engage speeds. At city speeds generally no. Freeway yes. In traffic is when it runs the hottest. Which is good anyway as it shifts nicest of all at 100-110C.

gmh308
February 24th, 2011, 12:12 AM
I started with copy/pasting a Cadillac CTS-V tune in the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 WOT upshift categories. It was horrendous....realized there are different clutches and torque converters. With that I found a middle ground and have gone from there. As of now I am using a .2000 in the aforementioned WOT categories and it gives me what I want. Good firm upshifts at WOT and smooth upshifts at partial throttle. Of course there is room to improve, but time is not permitting.

Yes pasting in other tunes from different cars is real risky. There is plenty of stuff behind the scenes that GM calibrates differently from platform to platform year to year. Best to always start with the stock stuff and work from there.

TBMSport
February 24th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Yes pasting in other tunes from different cars is real risky. There is plenty of stuff behind the scenes that GM calibrates differently from platform to platform year to year. Best to always start with the stock stuff and work from there.

I already had stock stuff in there. Randomly changing numbers is even more risky! :hihi: That's why I chose to compare to a performance vehicle, go through all tables and select only the specific upshift parameters to modify. Once I observed the differences in performance I then found a middle ground. It's the cost of experimentation. Can't sit around waiting for someone else to give me the answers, right? :help2:

GAMEOVER
February 24th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I'm playing with settings to accomplish a good WOT upshift, quick downshift, and smooth regular upshifts with my Trailblazer 5.3L with Escalade 6L80 and 3.42 gears. Making matters worse, I'm trying to learn some tricks with the traction control as it has an open diff out back.

The key is to document what changes you make and to make minor changes to limited categories to monitor your progress/regress.

Thanks for the advice...:D