PDA

View Full Version : Allison VIN flashing

MaxPF
February 10th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I have a brand spanky new A46 controller. When I pull the cal it tells me the VIN is ??????????????. I have tried to enter a new VIN and reflash, but even though the reflash is successful the vin still reads ??????????????. Also, a scan gives P0602 (controller not programmed), which is interesting because the TCM does have an OS (25982140) and the cal tables are populated. I assumed I was getting the P0602 because the VIn was blank, but as I mentioned for some reason EFI Live will not flash in a new VIN.

Any ideas??? Does this thing have to be programmed with a Tech II before EFI Live will do anything with it? I was hoping to be able to avoid that and just flash my modded tables into new TCMs with EFI Live...

Tordne
February 10th, 2011, 09:23 PM
We have the 25982140 OS listed as being an A50 controller which we currently don't support. We have it down as the next development activity after the 2006 5.9 Cummins support is generally released.

MaxPF
February 10th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Looks like GM threw us both a curve ball. The controller I have is an A46, not an A50. I bought it directly from GM, and the parts guy (who has been a friend for years) showed be the list of superseded part numbers. Apparently, the A46 now supersedes the A40 and A41.

Anyway, if you need any files, let me know. Also, I still want to pester you for full flash capability for the pre-A50 TCMs. I know all about the long read times, and that is fine. I am even willing to trade out some Linux hacking,, maybe working on a Linux HAPI for you? I know Paul would go for a bribe like that :grin:

GMPX
February 13th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Question, how many TCM's can Allison make for the same truck??? Apparently the answer is 4!! What the heck is going on? Looking at your avatar MaxPF, someone at GM needs a talking to from Sergeant Hartman on this.
If the A46 is still part of the A4x series then it should still work as an A40 or A41 in every aspect of reading and flashing. Generally new controllers from GM don't have full calibrations in them, hence the dealership is forced to flash the correct files in from TIS2WEB. However I have never seen a brand new A4x or A5x TCM to know what is actually in them.
On the VIN change, the Allison TCM takes about 30 seconds to shut-down once the IGN is turned off, if you are doing this in a truck then you will have to wait this long for the VIN to take. If you are doing it on a bench harness then make sure the TCM still has battery power when the IGN 12V is turned off.

MaxPF
February 13th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I have no idea why there are so many revisions on the TCM's. It is possible that parts availability or cost of certain components forced minor redesigns. Having worked in the electronics industry for so many years I have seen that happen often enough.

So far, I have been able to read and flash the TCM fine, except for the VIN. This is being done on the bench, and I have waited for the full 30 seconds with the ignition power disconnected but battery power still connected. I will try it again, and wait several minutes this time. If it doesn't work, I will go ahead and have it reflashed with a Tech II.

If you want, I can send you the cal file I pulled from it so you can see what it has in it. If I had the capability to read the entire OS then I can send you that too :hihi: http://www.azoffroader.com/forum/Smileys/FantasticSmileys/ignore.gif

MaxPF
February 14th, 2011, 11:53 AM
OK, so I was using V7.5 for all the stuff I was trying to do. I fired up the latest V8, made sure the bootloader and firmware was updated to the latest release, and read the TCM with V8. Since V8 doesn't allow any mods at this point, I opened the cal under V7, changed the VIN, and resaved. I then opened the modified .ctd file with V8 and reflashed the TCM. Afterwards, I disconnected the ignition power only and waited for a full minute (this was done on the bench). Once again, the VIN did not take :(

FWIW, I have made some changes to the defuel tables and reflashed those, and upon read back they were indeed modified. Strange that the VIN stays blank though. Anyway, I will try to get it reflashed with a Tech II sometime this week and see what happens after that.

killerbee
November 3rd, 2011, 08:49 AM
We have the 25982140 OS listed as being an A50 controller which we currently don't support. We have it down as the next development activity after the 2006 5.9 Cummins support is generally released.

Could we get an update/ETC on this?

RossB
July 23rd, 2018, 01:11 AM
I hate to bump such an old thread but it is the most relevant one that I have found..

I have a new TCM for LBZ Allison (an A46 which replaced the A40). Like MaxPF, I get the P0602 Controller not Programmed. The VIN was ?????????????? which I was able to change to the appropriate VIN, however, it still reports P0602. The tables seem to be populated. I cannot flash the stock controller calibration to it with EFILive because the OS is different (24256580).

Any solutions? If someone has a working file for 24256580 Allison TCM behind the LBZ, should that get rid of the P0602? Is there a setting in the file that would get rid of it? Thanks for your help!!

Kind regards,

Ross

GMPX
July 23rd, 2018, 10:19 AM
The Allison TCM replacement situation is a mess, we suggest to people they have GM to flash it with TIS first because if the wrong type is attempted it will brick the TCM (best have that on GM's hands).
There is a great thread on here 'somewhere' where this is discussed.

turbo_bu
July 24th, 2018, 04:03 AM
Believe this is the thread which had the most details about this mess.

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?27523-A50-T14-confusion

staytuned
December 2nd, 2018, 08:40 AM
Most that come in our shop are dead and scan tool will not communicate.But, they will read with EFI live, so, I just read,key off, install new TCM, key on and license, then full flash with all zeros for vin and it works like a charm.

killerbee
December 2nd, 2018, 11:43 AM
Is there some significance in using zeros???

Road
December 2nd, 2018, 01:50 PM
They are not vin or vehicle specific. You can swap them from vehicle to vehicle.

killerbee
December 2nd, 2018, 02:16 PM
To my understanding, as a slave device, the TCM VIN coding portion is not important or relevant.

rcr1978
January 10th, 2019, 08:36 AM
Has anyone successfully done a full read on a T14A TCM that was flashed by GM and able to flash a new blank T14A without gm/TIS software and only using EFILive?
This is the replacement for a A40 the new OS is 24256580

Also curious if someone was successful doing the same with a T14?

Thanks

Road
January 10th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Has anyone successfully done a full read on a T14A TCM that was flashed by GM and able to flash a new blank T14A without gm/TIS software and only using EFILive?
This is the replacement for a A40 the new OS is 24256580

Also curious if someone was successful doing the same with a T14?

Thanks

Yes

rcr1978
January 10th, 2019, 04:22 PM
Would you be willing to share the stock file? So you were able to actually do a full read then and also did it take a hour for the read just like the A40?

Road
January 11th, 2019, 12:54 AM
Would you be willing to share the stock file? So you were able to actually do a full read then and also did it take a hour for the read just like the A40?

Maybe I am misunderstanding something here, I don't ever remember it being a pain in the ass or taking 1 hr to read. I have done them with TIS and also read out the original and swapped in the new module and flashed the original read with EFI. I even have my autocal guy's reading and writing with EFI. You really don't want just any ol stock file, it need's to be correct or you will brick the new controller. As long as both modules are labeled T14 then I check cal id by vin and match that up with same .ctz file never had a problem. I think EFI has a sanity check now to help when flashing. Send me your vin and I will see if I have correct match for you.

rcr1978
January 11th, 2019, 02:33 AM
On the A40's EFILive would only read out the calibration part because of the read time to get the full flash and out of the 3-4 OS only one of them would finish successfully. You had to remove/add a script in the program file to even do the full read here is the link to the thread.

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?25274-A40-Full-Read-option

I haven't had any trouble full flashing T14 files back in new blank T14's on the 11 up trucks you get the full read on those anyways. The trouble is when needing to replace a A40 on the 06-08 trucks your only option now is either a T14A or a used TCM. This thread below explains it better than I could ever type it out.

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?27672-Allison-6spd-TCM-versions

Thanks for the help Mike the vin is 1GCHK23DX6F224146 and the new TCM is a T14A, I have a full read of the original A40 but it cant be used for the new one. I would be willing to pay for the file if people are able to full flash them successfully.

Robert

Road
January 11th, 2019, 08:58 AM
Robert

It will be best to use Tis. There is several different hardware/software combinations for that vin.