PDA

View Full Version : Out of range cal in a GM flash?

MaxPF
February 22nd, 2011, 09:08 PM
I have a new 6 speed TCM that I had flashed by a friend who is a service manager at a local dealership. The flash is for a 2006 Silverado with the L18 8.1 gas engine.

The controller itself is an A46, GM part # is 25982143. This part # supposedly supersedes all previous part numbers, so apparently the A46 is the replacement for the A40 and A41. The OS is 24259900.

Here's the output from the Out of Range screen:

Out of Range calibration summary: 01:48:44 am, Wednesday Feb 23, 2011

Transmission.Full Throttle Shifts.Upshift
{D5029} WOT 5->6 Shift (RPM), contained one or more out of range values when loaded.

Transmission.TAP Presets.1-2 Upshift
{D5138} 1-2 Part Throttle Off-Going Pressure, contained one or more out of range values when loaded.
{D5139} 1-2 Part Throttle Off-Going Pressure, T/H Mode, contained one or more out of range values when loaded.

Transmission.TAP Presets.2-3 Upshift
{D5140} 2-3 Part Throttle Off-Going Pressure, contained one or more out of range values when loaded.
{D5141} 2-3 Part Throttle Off-Going Pressure, T/H Mode, contained one or more out of range values when loaded.

Transmission.TAP Presets.3-4 Upshift
{D5142} 3-4 Part Throttle Off-Going Pressure, contained one or more out of range values when loaded.
{D5143} 3-4 Part Throttle Off-Going Pressure, T/H Mode, contained one or more out of range values when loaded.

Transmission.TAP Presets.4-5 Upshift
{D5144} 4-5 Part Throttle Off-Going Pressure, contained one or more out of range values when loaded.
{D5145} 4-5 Part Throttle Off-Going Pressure, T/H Mode, contained one or more out of range values when loaded.

Transmission.TAP Presets.5-6 Upshift
{D5184} 5-6 Part Throttle Off-Going Pressure, contained one or more out of range values when loaded.
{D5185} 5-6 Part Throttle Off-Going Pressure, T/H Mode, contained one or more out of range values when loaded.

I attached the .ctd file as well. This is a completely unaltered, as-pulled-from-the-TCM file.

I know why the shift RPM values are out of range - they were deliberately set arbitrarily high by GM to prevent a 5-6 shift under WOT with the gas engine. What I don't understand are the TAP settings. I would think these high values would make bad things happen :wtf1:

Tordne
February 23rd, 2011, 07:17 AM
I have sent the calibration to Ross. I cannot see what the actual values are as the Tune Tool is trimming them to our defined range limits (as you know).

MaxPF
February 23rd, 2011, 07:25 AM
Ahh, I had hoped that the retrieved and stored values were the actual values, and that only the displayed values were trimmed...

Thanks for the help!

Tordne
February 23rd, 2011, 07:38 AM
The calibration will of course contain the real values, hence sending it to Ross to loo at. When you load the file into the Tune Tool it will crop the values to the max/min range values. The if you save the file the cropped values will be saved in the file.

GMPX
February 23rd, 2011, 09:41 AM
I've just checked those calibrations, I think what has happened is they are supposed to be negative values (signed numbers), if they are, that would produce very high positive values like we are seeing rather than small negative values.
I'll regenerate the .calz file for that OS using signed numbers and see how it looks, if it fixes the problem I'll Email Andrew the update to send over to you.

Cheers,
Ross

Tordne
February 23rd, 2011, 10:11 AM
Email coming your way with regenerated calz. These will be incorporated in the next update for other customers also.

MaxPF
February 23rd, 2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys! http://defiant.blogdns.com:5002/emoticons/bow.gif

THEFERMANATOR
February 23rd, 2011, 03:49 PM
And this I guess is what happens when you are working with an OS that I don't hink anybody else has tryed with EFILIVE. I know quite a few members have been trying to find the uber rare 8.1L OS for a 6 speed.

MaxPF
February 23rd, 2011, 04:52 PM
As it turns out, it probably isn't even needed. Before I had this OS flashed into the TCM I played around with the 25982140 OS that came in the new TCM. AFAIK that OS is for a later DMax truck, but it still recognized the PWM throttle inputs. I'm thinking all of the GM OSes will look for throttle input from both GMLAN and PWM and use whichever it gets. I wish I had a TCM from an 06-up DMax truck to test. I almost guarantee it would work the same, which would be convenient for swappers. They wouldn't have to have a new OS reflashed in a used TCM, just change the cal to suit their swap and run it.

killerbee
February 27th, 2011, 06:06 AM
More pieces of the big mystery. What was the earliest year the A46 was seen? 09?