PDA

View Full Version : 99 S10 2.2 questions

gotabav
February 25th, 2011, 03:38 AM
I have a 99 S10 2.2 that I wanted to tweak a little, but after going over the .tun file there isn't much there. I have a couple of extra brand new turbos sitting around that I was going to slap on and run until I do an LSX swap in a year or two. There just doesn't seem to be much in the way of changing items in the fueling like injector flow rates and such. Can I use a custom OS on this ECM to change different perameters?

The only vehicles I've tuned are GenIII and GenIV V-8s, so this seemed odd to have so little in each section.

File attached for anyone willing to help. Thanks in advance.

slows10
February 25th, 2011, 10:46 AM
If you have a non flex fuel 2.2 there are no flowrate tables. But what I did was flash in a 2000 s10 2.2 with FLEX FUEL. Efilive has added these tables to this pcm. Cant understand why they dont add it to the regular fuel model. There is only one O/S out of the 50 or whatever os's there is for these trucks that needs to be supported it is the LD9 supercharger tune that came with the cavalier from 2000-2002. To support any other os is a waste of time. Its the most important one, the only one. Factory boost tables would allow tuning for a turbo on these engines.

ScarabEpic22
February 25th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I like the idea of using the Flex Fuel tune, seems like an easy way to get the IFR table. For boost, you're stuck just like the 02-05 P10 guys. Theres no way to do it without using aftermarket electronics/piggyback modules. I know a few people who have use a voltage clamp on a 2 bar MAP sensor so the PCM only ever sees up to 1 bar of pressure (so no reduced engine power) and a rising rate FPR to add fuel while under boost. If you are ok with the timing being static while in boost, the stock PCM will keep commanding whatever spark advance you put in the highest pressure baro table dependent on rpm. Not so elegant, but I think it would work.

Having the Cavalier LD9 s/c tune supported would be a plus, but would the S10 run it ok is the question (in terms of cluster, BCM, etc integration).

gotabav
February 26th, 2011, 03:43 AM
If you have a non flex fuel 2.2 there are no flowrate tables. But what I did was flash in a 2000 s10 2.2 with FLEX FUEL. Efilive has added these tables to this pcm. Cant understand why they dont add it to the regular fuel model. There is only one O/S out of the 50 or whatever os's there is for these trucks that needs to be supported it is the LD9 supercharger tune that came with the cavalier from 2000-2002. To support any other os is a waste of time. Its the most important one, the only one. Factory boost tables would allow tuning for a turbo on these engines.

You wouldn't want to share that 2000 flex fuel tune would you? That would be a big help. Thanks for the advice. From your signature, looks like you've got a fun little ride yourself.

slows10
February 26th, 2011, 06:17 AM
I already flashed in a 2.4 LD9 N/A tune in my pcm. Works fine as far as running and tuning. The bcm is fine so is the cluster. All good except the speedo. I dont think this is a problem as it can probably fixed in the speedo calibration parameters. Im thinking they have 2 different reluctors. I never played with it enough to see if it would work. As far as boost and a 1 bar sensor that is fine. The map sensor doesnt freak out or anything. It just stops reading at 105 kpa even though im at 20 psi boost. Their are ways around it to get the fuel required. Obviously its not the correct way to tune for boost but it does work and the driveability is ok. GOTABEV there are a few flex tunes in this section. I think in the thread that jesse from wait4me was asking guys to send in their read tunes. Thats where I got mine from. I just full flashed it in my pcm.

gotabav
March 1st, 2011, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the info. I found a flex fuel 2.2 tune. I'll probably mess with it this weekend and see how it does.

ls1mike
November 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Any leads on that flex fuel tune, I can't find it.

gotabav
November 15th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I have two tunes that I found here on the forum in the dump for unsupported tunes.

This one runs really well, but kicks a code for electric fans even withthe MIL enablers disabled .

This one gave me some troubles with how it ran and it kicked codes for knock sensor circuit.

Good luck with them.

slows10
November 15th, 2011, 12:53 AM
GOTOBEV are you running boost?

gotabav
November 15th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Not on the S-10, YET. I have all my parts except for a wastegate, so soon I will be. Nothing too radical, probably 6psi.
I noticed in your signature that yours is a 4.3, these tunes are for a 2.2.

slows10
November 15th, 2011, 03:45 AM
I also have a 98 s10 with a 2.2 5 speed. It has a DTS turbo kit on it. Running 15-20 lbs. Forged pistons and eagle rods. It needs a new clutch and slave cylinder, so it has been sitting awhile. I was just wondering if yours was turbocharged, how was the tuning coming along? As they are a pain with this ecm.

ls1mike
November 15th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks thanks thanks for those uploads.

ScarabEpic22
November 15th, 2011, 02:36 PM
gotabav, Im not surprised you're getting a DTC (probably P1481) with efans. Go into System->VATS->Platform Options 1 and change the Electric Fans param to Enabled. Just killing the DTCs doesnt actually stop the PCM from performing the startup diagnostics on the fan clutch, by Enabling this parameter it bypasses the PCMs diagnostics routine and will not throw fan clutch related codes. Works perfectly on my P10 PCM which shares a TON of code with the 4cyl PCMs.

gotabav
November 17th, 2011, 11:44 PM
gotabav, Im not surprised you're getting a DTC (probably P1481) with efans. Go into System->VATS->Platform Options 1 and change the Electric Fans param to Enabled. Just killing the DTCs doesnt actually stop the PCM from performing the startup diagnostics on the fan clutch, by Enabling this parameter it bypasses the PCMs diagnostics routine and will not throw fan clutch related codes. Works perfectly on my P10 PCM which shares a TON of code with the 4cyl PCMs.

I appreciate the input for this, but that sin't why it is setting the codes. It has be reflashed with the fan setting enabled and disabled, same codes both times (P1480 and P1481). I tried it again, just in case, same results.

I haven't messed with this one lately, but I'll probably put the turbo kit together after the holidays and play with it some more.

ScarabEpic22
November 18th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Hmmm, I know for a fact that it works for my P10. Bummer it doesnt work for you, should at least throw some efans on your Envoy though. Good for 10hp and +1mpg!

gotabav
November 19th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Oh well, I'm always appreciative of anyone who will give some good advise.

The Envoy has electric fans on it. I did the modding to that thing before the aftermarket supported it. 3.5 inch cat back exhaust that I welded up from some mandrel bent pipe with a 3 chamber 50 series Flowmaster, 3.5 inch intake pipe with nice filter, e-fans, and a nice tune. It knocks down 24 MPG on the freeway and about 17 in town. This is a 5.3 v-8 not a 6. The best it did stock was 11 in town and 17.6 freeway. Almost 2 MPG just from the fans!

gotabav
December 9th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I got tired of trying to sort out the random codes for items that this truck (or any S10) doesn't have. I went back to the stock tune and just played with the VE tables until I got it to run correctly with 42lb. injectors. This may not be the "correct" way to do it, but it works. The truck has run for about 700 miles like this with no drivability problems or any codes set and it knocked down 26 MPG.

I do have a question about logging on this PCM. It shows odd numbers on the commanded AFR anywhere from .02 to .5, which doesn't make any sense to me. All of my LS1B PCM cars show 14.68, which is what I have the commaned AFR set at in the tune. There is no option for this in my
P08 tune for this truck.

Attached are a log and my current tune.1236812369