PDA

View Full Version : tuning suite shuts off, won't let me access it or edit anything

KB3MMX
February 25th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Hello, I just downloaded the newest tuning suite 7.5 to my vista laptop after getting my new V2 and it gets a error message about not finding a file with pid's ...then when I click ok, it shuts down.
The device drivers seem to have installed A-ok..

I also downloaded V8 as recommended and I can open that and scan/read my truck computer but it doesn't allow me to edit anything...and it's very limited info.

Help please

Taz
February 25th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Hello KB3MMX,

Did you input your licence information in the Tune Tool (V7.5) per the “blue card” that came with the V2?

Did you program the V2 with the Scan (PIDs) and Tune (controllers) using the V8 software?

Regards,
Taz

KB3MMX
February 26th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Hi Taz.

No, I can't get that far Taz, the program force closes once I click ok on the error message(that says it can't locate the folder with pid's) and won't let me do anything else on the screen except click ok or the close "X".
I think it's a Vista problem as I just loaded the software on my Decade old HP laptop running XP. I really don;t want to use this pile of **** laptop for tuning but for now it's the only one that works with the software until I can get this resolved.

Thanks for any help
-Chuck

Taz
February 26th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Hello Chuck,

I run the software on several platforms. The one I use the most is a Notebook running Windows Vista (32-bit OS). This setup has always performed consistently and dependably in my experience.

It sounds like there may have been a problem with the software download and / or installation on your computer.

I would recommend uninstalling the software, and starting over. Download the V7 software using the “Save” option. Make note of the location where the software downloads on your computer.

Once the download is complete, locate the file named “EFILiveV7.5.6.130_Setup.exe” and run this file - once complete, open the V7 Tune Tool. You should be able to enter your licence information from the “blue card” that came with your V2.

Close the V7 software after this.

Then repeat the above process with the V8 software. Look for the file named “EFILiveV8.1.2.127_Setup.exe”. You will not have to enter your licence information again in V8.

With Windows Vista the USB drivers should load automatically.

Reboot your computer after this process. Plug in your V2. Open EFILive Explorer, select the Firmware Tab (F12) and confirm the V2 has been programmed with the most recent Bootblock (2.07.01) and Firmware (2.07.04).

Close EFILive Explorer.

Open V8 software and program the V2. Go to the “BBX” tab (F5). Program the Scan PIDs (F2) and the Tune controllers (F3) into the V2.

Hopefully this gets things running …

Regards,
Taz

joecar
February 26th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Hi Chuck,

Uninstall your V7 software, and reinstall from here: January-31st-2011-pre-release-Updated-Feb-03-2011 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15552-January-31st-2011-pre-release-%28Updated-Feb-03-2011%29)

Use the default folder that it shows during the install.

KB3MMX
February 26th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Hi Chuck,

Uninstall your V7 software, and reinstall from here: January-31st-2011-pre-release-Updated-Feb-03-2011 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15552-January-31st-2011-pre-release-%28Updated-Feb-03-2011%29)

Use the default folder that it shows during the install.

Joe, the hyperlink in the linked post is broken for the software....I get there but when i click on the software link, it's broke.
I'm not having much luck on this 64bit vista Laptop, LOL

I completely uninstalled the V7.5 and V8 software so far

Thanks

ScarabEpic22
February 26th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Interesting, Ive used both V7.5 and V8 on Vista and W7 x64 without any issues. Havent tested Vista compatibility in 2 years as I only use W7 these days and XP on old machines.

Download the software from here: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15803-February-26th-2011-release-candidate-1

KB3MMX
February 26th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Still getting a error (sigh)

Says :

Cannot open file "C:\EFILive\V7.5\UserConfiguration\calc_pids.txt". The system cannot find the file specified

Weird thing is I can open the V8 software just fine and it appears to scan and save ECM(maybe flash too?) info but I cannot edit/tune anything that was read or saved about the tune on V8....???? V8 is also a VERY NICE looking interface, it looks to be very user friendly once it's finished.

ScarabEpic22
February 26th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Are you using the files I linked to?

Where are you installing the program too, it should be in C:\Users\<your username>\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration\calc_pids.txt not C:\EFILive\....

Here is my unaltered calc_pids.txt file.

Wonder if your registry has lingering EFILive entries that is trying to point the User Config space to the old location (it was changed 6-9mo ago).

V8 for now is just for programming your V2 for BBx and reading/flashing tunes. Editing and scanning is still done in V7.

mr.prick
February 26th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Is there a calc_pids.txt file in the User Configuration folder?

UAC should be disabled while installing software.

KB3MMX
February 27th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Is there a calc_pids.txt file in the User Configuration folder?

UAC should be disabled while installing software.

Yeah, I found the file and the PID info appears to be in there but it can't locate it for some reason. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to several different locations and none worked. I'm also using the administrator account for the install.
This thing has me stumped.

joecar
February 27th, 2011, 05:12 PM
When you install V7, what folder does it say it is installing to...?

KB3MMX
February 28th, 2011, 05:31 AM
When you install V7, what folder does it say it is installing to...?

It wants to install here;

C:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V7.5

Tordne
February 28th, 2011, 08:21 AM
There are two locations that EFILive installs to:
- 'C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5' - 'C:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive on a 64 bit system\V7.5'
- 'My Documents\EFILive\V7.5'

I assume it is complaining about not being able to locate the 'calc_pids.txt' file? If so I have seen a few occasions where the registry location that determines where your 'My Documents' folder actually lives is blank. What happens in this case is that the files that "should" have gone under the 'My Documents' path actually ends up being put in 'C:\EFILive\V7.5'.

Let me know if that is the issue.

Cheers,

KB3MMX
February 28th, 2011, 09:52 AM
There are two locations that EFILive installs to:
- 'C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5' - 'C:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive on a 64 bit system\V7.5'
- 'My Documents\EFILive\V7.5'

I assume it is complaining about not being able to locate the 'calc_pids.txt' file? If so I have seen a few occasions where the registry location that determines where your 'My Documents' folder actually lives is blank. What happens in this case is that the files that "should" have gone under the 'My Documents' path actually ends up being put in 'C:\EFILive\V7.5'.

Let me know if that is the issue.

Cheers,

that could be the issue...

i just tried to uninstall, reboot, reinstall and now it's a different error(sigh)

I have this message now that shuts off the program when I click "ok"

File:C:\Configuration\vin.ini The system cannot find the file specified. Win32 error: 2.

Sorry, this stuff has me lost, I'm at the mercy of your expertise

Tordne
February 28th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Send me an email to support@efilive.com. Probably the easiest thing (for both of us) would be if I could get remote access to your PC. I can email instructions.

KB3MMX
March 2nd, 2011, 08:10 AM
Send me an email to support@efilive.com. Probably the easiest thing (for both of us) would be if I could get remote access to your PC. I can email instructions.

Thanks for the offer.

I contacted Guy Tripp at SoCalDiesel and he walked me through the problem.
Guy was very patient and resolved the issue by sending me the missing files and guiding me through the install into the correct location...I was VERY IMPRESSED with his customer service!

Thanks to everyone for their help!:)

Tordne
March 2nd, 2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the update. I have fixed it using remote access a couple of times and it is much easier than trying to talk someone through it. Glad you'll all sorted :)