PDA

View Full Version : scanning not-officially supported PCMs?

Aloicious
March 4th, 2011, 12:14 PM
hey guys, I have a friend who needs some help setting the CKP offset on his '97 L31...now I was told in the past that although the 96 and 97 PCMs aren't officially supported, and are definantly not supported by the tune tool, that I should still be able to scan the earlier blackbox PCMs. I'm wondering if I'd be able to view the CKP offset on it?

GMPX
March 5th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Really, the only way to know is connect to the vehicle and validate the PID's.

Aloicious
March 5th, 2011, 03:52 PM
yeah, thats what I was thinking might be the case.
Thanks!

joecar
March 5th, 2011, 04:30 PM
If a GM PCM supports OBD-II then the V7 scantool:
- will be able to scan the OBD-II data,
- will most likely be able to log pids, you may have to change the Scan Mode (see Edit->Properties->Logging-Scan Mode).

Aloicious
March 5th, 2011, 04:57 PM
okay, thats good to know, my '96 has the 411, so I don't have a local truck to try it on. I don't actually need to do a full blown LOG, but I need to view the live CMP retard offset live data in order to set the distributor correctly.

Highlander
March 6th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Ja..

Select vortech ECU... and it will work like a charm... The issue in v7 and slow scanning was solved.... It was a main gripe I had... This is by far the best scanner I've ever used.

Aloicious
March 6th, 2011, 12:16 PM
excellent. good to have someone who as actually tried it out.

me too, EFILive is the best. in fact I just setup my site as an efilive reseller, I stand by the products I believe in.

Whipped383
May 19th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I Know with my generic scan tools Iv entered in the info as a 98 when the truck was actually a 97 and it wouldnt even read data from it. If things dont work for you I have a scanner that will work you can borrow if you want.

Aloicious
May 19th, 2011, 06:23 PM
no we're good, he ended up getting it done at a shop so I never even tried to read it.