PDA

View Full Version : innovate MTX wideband

maudyZ28
March 9th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Just a quick one, has anyone used this, im looking into getting it for ease of install wiring over the LC1 with G3 guage. Also has a serial out but finding it hard to get cable info, anyone know if the TAquickness cables would work??

thanks all

joecar
March 9th, 2011, 09:39 AM
The Innovate webpage for the MTX says it datalogs using LogWorks and mentions serial IN/OUT...

so my take on it is that it should work just like the LC-1, LM-1, LM-2 widebands.

Do you have any pics of the back, showing the serial connectors...?

Contact TAQ.

slows10
March 9th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I just purchased one also. It has serial in and out. The connectors are different then the lc1 2.5 connector. It is a small square 4 plug. In the manual also on innovate website I think, it shows the RX TX pins etc but not sure which ones are which on the plug. Im going to try using the 232 DB9 cable that came with efilive. Then connect that to the DB9 cable that came with the MTX. That leaves me with two female DB9 ends. So I bought a male to male 9 pin null modem adapter from radio shack. Hopefully it works. Going to try it in the next few days. Maybe TAQ can make one fairly easy.

Ira
March 9th, 2011, 11:48 AM
It's supposed to be the same pin out as the LM2 so TAQ probably already does.

Ira

maudyZ28
March 9th, 2011, 09:45 PM
thanks all,

sorry joecar I don't have any pictures of the rear only found this one

http://vetteonline.com/files/2010/11/innovate-mtx-1.jpg

but dont know what the connections to the wideband are. I have spoke to ringram the UK dealer and he said you can use the analogs provided that the -ve analog output is grounded to the same place as the ground on the mtx gauge so you only need to wire in the +ve. Obviously not as nice as plug and play with the serial but should work just as well

i'll PM TAquickness

joecar
March 10th, 2011, 05:11 AM
If you have FlashScan V2, make every effort to get serial comms going between the MTX and the V2.

slows10
March 12th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Ira was correct. I confirmed in the manual on the software cd that came with it. MTX has the same pinout and connector as the LM2. Serial out- pin1= RX pin2=TX pin3=GND pin4=GND Serial in- pin1=TX pin2=RX pin3=GND pin4=MTS sensor.

maudyZ28
March 14th, 2011, 12:23 AM
thank you all for your input

slows10 -> TAQ also confirmed this for me and has since shipped me a sLM2 cable to hook up. So all being well i'll get a thread up describing the install when all my goodies arrive :D

joecar
March 14th, 2011, 04:14 AM
maudy, thanks, we'll look for your thread. :cheers:

Eric
April 17th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Hi Joe, eric here how are you , its been a bit , wierd just got on the forum to see if anyone is using the innovate MTX with the v2 because i do have an lm2 but i want something that is a permanent install by the way the lm2 works great in serial with the v2 , i was going to get 2 lc-1 cables but i just found out about the new MTX and i like them because there is not that bulky housing inline with the wiring like on the lc-1 and i would have a guage for both banks also , i would like to know if i can daisy chain them in series , it must be possible considering there is a serial in and out , thanks Joe eric

Ira
April 17th, 2011, 08:58 AM
The MTX works fine and uses the same Innovate to Flashscan cable as the LM2? Given how the Innovate serial protocol works, 2 MTX gauges in series must have the same data stream as a dual channel LM2 so Flashscan should log both channels with no problem. As I've been let to understand things, never tried it, but sold a number of people single MTX gaugess to connect to Flashscan and never had a complaint.

Ira

Eric
April 17th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks Ira , yes i believe it should work , do you know if two lc-1s would work also or same assumtion, does the bocsh sensor connect directly to the mtx gauge throught the eight foot wiring or is there a bulky connector similar to the lc-1 controler , i was looking at maudy's pictures and it seems to have a pretty big connector , how long have you been selling them and are they reliable , are they more precise than the lc-1s or is it all the same design, my lm-2 works great so will it be as accurate, thanks Ira

Eric
April 17th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Forgot to ask Ira , if i use them in series i will have to put a terminator plug on one of the gauges serial input correct , i have some molex connectors left over from when i made my innovate to v2 cable , so i am wondering how is the innovate serial plug designed , is it just shorting the 4th pin>mts sence to another pin or what , thank you Ira

Eric
April 17th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I did a bit of research Ira and i believe i have to short the RX and TX pins to make a terminator plug , this makes sence to me as it is recieve and transmit , do you know if this is correct , if the mtx gauge has a serial in and out should it not come with a terminator plug , i believe innovate will soon have patch cords with molex connectors to link these or do they plan for us to use the molex to stereo plug adapter and go that way sence most of all they have uses the stereo plug to daisy chain in serial, thanks eric

Eric
April 17th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I believe i can use the same sensor cables on the MTX that i use on my LM2 , because on the innovate site the 3 and 18 foot cables are sold for the LM2 and the MTX and work for both so this answers my question on the bulky connectors for the sensors but i guess they have to be that big to accomodate the bosch connectors or they could probably put all this way higher closer to the gauge but you would need a hell of a hole to get it through the floor if you had to drill , its just a pain because when you install them they have to be really protected from the exaust heat , thanks eric

Ira
April 17th, 2011, 01:35 PM
As I understand it, the MTX and the LM2 use the same electronics. The LC1 uses earlier electronics. But they all use the same serial data. Only the LM1 uses different serial data. The Innovate spec requires that there be a terminator at the end. It allows the device at the end to know it's at the end and become the initiator of the data stream.

Ira

Eric
April 18th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks Ira, when i do pick up a couple of the mtx's i will post back some results on what gives but they should work both in series like my LM2 , just waiting on some cash flow because i have some other stuff to order , eric

TAQuickness
April 19th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I should have an MTX specific cable on the website in the next few weeks. It's the same cable as the LM2 but most installs require a longer cable for ease of use.

L31Sleeper
May 10th, 2011, 03:28 AM
So does Andy make a terminator plug or do you get one with the gauge ?
What about a MTX-L interconnect cable?

MECHAN12
May 10th, 2011, 05:12 AM
i have the mtx-l gauge with a cable from taqickness that works great
donald

L31Sleeper
May 10th, 2011, 06:45 AM
By works great you mean logs to your v2 ?

MECHAN12
May 10th, 2011, 06:53 AM
yes it logs to the v2

L31Sleeper
May 10th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Cool !

morpheousssv
June 15th, 2011, 11:00 PM
yes it logs to the v2

Can you offer which pids to use with this set up as I cannot get my MTX-L serial connection to work with a E38 ECU. (newbe with EFILive). Cable came from www.taquickness.com

MECHAN12
June 17th, 2011, 03:29 PM
i have a e67 but i used wo2afr1 and ben factor bank1,serial wideband ,e67 style
hop this helps

smslyguy
June 18th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Don't want to jack this thread, but i have a lc-1 wideband that has been working fine for a couple yrs. Now it seems to only work in stoich. Once it hit's p.e. mode it max's out on the upper end. NO it's not running lean on the p.e tune. Just woundering what the fixing maybe? Thought maybe a bad sensor, but if that was the case it shouldn't work at all..

WeathermanShawn
June 18th, 2011, 03:11 AM
The Wideband O2 Sensors seem to be very finicky at times. Now, I have never had one go to max lean during PE Mode. As always do even the 'Heater Calibration' and Free Air Calibration (via Innovates website). Double check every connection. If the Free Air Calibration does not work, I would try a new sensor.

As a side note, during DFCO mine usually goes to ~ 20.9 AFR..which is free oxygen. What does your say then? Also, check the type of fuel settings that are programmed in.

Good luck..

morpheousssv
June 18th, 2011, 03:22 AM
i have a e67 but i used wo2afr1 and ben factor bank1,serial wideband ,e67 style
hop this helps

Yer thanks MECHAN12 got it sussed now

smslyguy
June 19th, 2011, 02:42 PM
The Wideband O2 Sensors seem to be very finicky at times. Now, I have never had one go to max lean during PE Mode. As always do even the 'Heater Calibration' and Free Air Calibration (via Innovates website). Double check every connection. If the Free Air Calibration does not work, I would try a new sensor.

As a side note, during DFCO mine usually goes to ~ 20.9 AFR..which is free oxygen. What does your say then? Also, check the type of fuel settings that are programmed in.

Good luck..

Did the free air cal and the heater cal.. no luck. Just seems odd to me if the sensor was actually bad one would think it wouldn't work at all?? During d.f.c.o. it reads 21.9 which it always had. I have notice right when it starts goin into p.e mode it goes down to 13 ish and then pegs at 21.9

One thing to add is that i had the first 2 yrs trouble free til i upgraded my exhaust. Went with a 3" y-pipe to a 4" single over the axle pipe which is where i have the wb installed. Was kinda woundering if maybe it was getting to hot?? Although it is far away from the headers?? Just a thought.

WeathermanShawn
June 19th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I have never tried the Innovate Heat-Sink bung, but maybe give that a try.:)

Sleeping
June 21st, 2011, 02:02 PM
Any problems with cutting the harness so there is not all the extra wire and soldering/heat shrinking the wires that would cause readings to be off?