PDA

View Full Version : Can you log boost?

AustinL911A
December 24th, 2005, 12:31 PM
I was just wondering if there was a way to do this? I have yet to buy EFILive FlashScan, but plan to do so within the next month. My goals are to eventually run an SD OS, and a mild twin turbo setup. I've never tuned anything before, so I've got a lot of reading ahead of me.

kbracing96
December 24th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Yes you can, but you need to replace the stock MAP a 2 bar MAP senor so it will "see" the boost.

Ira
December 25th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Or just get an external 2 or 3 bar map sensor and connect it to the 5V input on the Flashscan.

Ira

chpspecial
December 29th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I'm new to tuning and have an STS powered SSS, I just got flashscan and have been doing alot of reading on all off what you guys have to offer. I want to log my boost and i have an autometer phantom boost gauge, can i just tap into the signal that the gauge recives and hook that up to flashscan or is there something more to it. TIA

Blacky
December 29th, 2005, 04:20 PM
I'm new to tuning and have an STS powered SSS, I just got flashscan and have been doing alot of reading on all off what you guys have to offer. I want to log my boost and i have an autometer phantom boost gauge, can i just tap into the signal that the gauge recives and hook that up to flashscan or is there something more to it. TIA

What type of signal does the gauge receive? If it is just a voltage between 0 and 5 volts, then yes you can. You'd need to make up a calculated PID to convert the voltage into a boost value. If you can find out what voltage indicates what pressure value then it is fairly trivial to set up the calculated PID.

One thing to check, I'm not sure if there would be any issues logging the boost voltage with FlashScan and displaying the boost on the gauge simultaneously. Any electronics gurus care to comment on that?

Regards
Paul

chpspecial
December 30th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the reply blacky, i'll check into this more and see what i find out.

mistermike
December 30th, 2005, 11:28 AM
What type of signal does the gauge receive? If it is just a voltage between 0 and 5 volts, then yes you can. You'd need to make up a calculated PID to convert the voltage into a boost value. If you can find out what voltage indicates what pressure value then it is fairly trivial to set up the calculated PID.

One thing to check, I'm not sure if there would be any issues logging the boost voltage with FlashScan and displaying the boost on the gauge simultaneously. Any electronics gurus care to comment on that?

Regards
Paul
As long as the input impedance of the A/D chip in the Flashscan is high compared to the source impedance of the sender, there shouldn't be a problem.

ace68
January 4th, 2006, 04:52 PM
is the 2br map a direct fit part? Can you take the factory map out and install the 2bar map?

kbracing96
January 5th, 2006, 04:51 AM
2 bar map GM PN 12580698 was a direct replcement for my truck. I would think it is on the cars as well. The one on the left is stock and the right is 2 bar.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Kbracing96/11-19-05005.jpg

ace68
January 5th, 2006, 06:55 AM
thank you I'm new at the FI game