PDA

View Full Version : EFI Connection Fully Modular Programming System - Coming Soon

S10Wildside
March 26th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Here's a sneak peek at something we've been working on. The first prototype was completed and tested today. Below is the switch assembly portion of the new benchtop programming harness system.

http://www.eficonnection.com/temp/prototype_switch_assembly.jpg

What is it?
Very simply, it's a new benchtop programming solution. The upcoming switch assembly will replace our current programming switch assembly (below). The plastic project box solution has been great, but I thought some improvements were about due.

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/images/offboard_programming_switch_assembly_with_power_su pply.jpg

How does it work?
The new switch assembly will be one fully modular box with connections for 12V DC input, OBDII cable, and ECU extension harness. The illuminated rocker switch will apply ignition power to the ECU extension header while illuminating red to indicate ignition power. There is a replaceable mini fuse on the side (shown above with a red 10 amp fuse).

Mark has done most of the work on this, but I insisted that we use both a Delphi OBDII diagnostic connector on the board and a Delphi Micro-Pack 100 header (which is soldered to the circuit board) for ECU extensions. The Micro-Pack 100 series is the same connection system as is used with the TBI/TPI ECMs of the 80s and 90s. Micro-Pack 100 series connections are common in the newest vehicles today, but for interior modules.

Supported Vehicles
Any 1996 and newer GM, Chrysler, Ford, Honda, etc. The OBDII diagnostic connector will pass through to the ECU extension header for all current OBDII protocols. In addition, 1994-1995 OBDI LT1 PCMs will be supported. It should go without saying...not all protocols and ECUs (Honda, Ford, etc) can be reflashed with EFILive.

What's left before production?
We're going to make a few minor adjustments to the board and then design a custom billet aluminum CNC enclosure. The enclosure will be anodized black. The top will be milled with our logo and labels for the connections ("ECU", "OBDII", "Ignition Switch", etc).

What's it going to cost?
Not yet sure about the final cost of the aluminum enclosure, but the price is expected to be under $100 for the switch assembly with included AC to DC regulated 12v power supply. All ECU extensions will be available at http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/BenchtopProgramming.aspx.

schwoch1
March 29th, 2011, 11:39 AM
So...... I have to ask..... when the hell do you find time to sleep with all the is going on in your shop?????????
Lookin good, keep up the work!!!

Mike

joecar
March 29th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Looks very good, high quality :cheers:

LOL sleep is underrated... :doh:

S10Wildside
March 29th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I was hoping that the assembly would take less time to put together than the current switch assembly. I was wrong, but the quality is much better...not having the diagnostic connector hanging outside of the box, no wires to fatigue, aluminum enclosure, etc. Mark made some revisions to shrink the board by about 1/3. I think the enclosure design may happen as soon as next week.

Now Mike, I know the wheels are always turning in your head, too. And that typically means less sleep.

S10Wildside
March 30th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Here's a pre-production view. The board is much smaller and the arrangement is better than the first prototype.

http://www.eficonnection.com/temp/preproduction_switch_assembly.jpg

GAMEOVER
March 30th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Here's a pre-production view. The board is much smaller and the arrangement is better than the first prototype.

http://www.eficonnection.com/temp/preproduction_switch_assembly.jpg

Nice...:thumb_yello:

joecar
March 30th, 2011, 04:44 AM
That's very nice and compact.

L31Sleeper
March 30th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I like it........except that I like the current hard wired power supply. Is there some sort of locking plug ??

S10Wildside
March 30th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I like it........except that I like the current hard wired power supply. Is there some sort of locking plug ??
There will be two versions; one with AC to DC and the other with 18ga unterminated leads to hook up to your own power supply or battery.

http://www.eficonnection.com/temp/unterminated_power.jpg

L31Sleeper
March 31st, 2011, 08:01 AM
Could the power supply wires be soldered directly to the board ??

S10Wildside
March 31st, 2011, 09:26 AM
Could the power supply wires be soldered directly to the board ??
They could, but it won't be offered that way. The intent here is a fully modular design. Making available an alternate version with wires on the board means a different housing with strain relief. Sorry, that won't be an option.

07dodge
March 31st, 2011, 05:28 PM
I went and checked out the 24x system, and holy crap, I'm in LOVE! That's awesome...now I just gotta get me one for my LT1 swap in my 57 Chevy.

schwoch1
April 1st, 2011, 03:25 AM
They could, but it won't be offered that way. The intent here is a fully modular design. Making available an alternate version with wires on the board means a different housing with strain relief. Sorry, that won't be an option.
If a guy was really that concerned that the plug is going to come out in the middle of programming, a quick zip tie around the unit would solve any concerns, kinda ghetto, but some people need that little bit of piece of mind to help them sleep at night!!!!

Mike

S10Wildside
April 1st, 2011, 03:35 AM
If a guy was really that concerned that the plug is going to come out in the middle of programming, a quick zip tie around the unit would solve any concerns, kinda ghetto, but some people need that little bit of piece of mind to help them sleep at night!!!!

Mike
Mike - I still like your benchtop programming solution! Can we get a pic in this thread? :)

schwoch1
April 1st, 2011, 06:40 AM
Mike - I still like your benchtop programming solution! Can we get a pic in this thread? :)

If anyone seen my solution, that would discredit me on this board more than I already may be!!! Plus I had to take it apart, needed a light switch for the daughters room the other day!!!
When it is all ready to roll, put me down for one and a few pigtails..... than I can rid myself of my solution :)

Mike

joecar
April 1st, 2011, 06:51 AM
Hey, the light switch is multitasking, you're getting good value out of it. :cucumber:

S10Wildside
November 27th, 2011, 10:23 PM
It's been awhile, but these are almost ready for production. The housings will be available within the next two weeks. Here's a view of the final prototype housing with an indication of the artwork to be milled.

http://www.eficonnection.com/temp/prototype_offboard_programming_housing.jpg

The plan for the circuit boards has been to run them on a CNC mill. That machine has been on order since July and is still not available, so the first batch of circuit boards will be chemically etched. Not yet sure if we're going to outsource the circuit board production. From a longevity stantpoint, the etched and CNC'd circuitboards should never fail, so I suppose it comes down to cost of production.

schwoch1
November 28th, 2011, 10:59 AM
It's been awhile, but these are almost ready for production. The housings will be available within the next two weeks. Here's a view of the final prototype housing with an indication of the artwork to be milled.

The plan for the circuit boards has been to run them on a CNC mill. That machine has been on order since July and is still not available, so the first batch of circuit boards will be chemically etched. Not yet sure if we're going to outsource the circuit board production. From a longevity stantpoint, the etched and CNC'd circuitboards should never fail, so I suppose it comes down to cost of production.

Please put me down for the first one's to come off the press!!! Can't afford to keep buying them house light switches!!!

Mike

S10Wildside
November 28th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Please put me down for the first one's to come off the press!!! Can't afford to keep buying them house light switches!!!

Mike
You know, Mike...Lowes and Home Depot now sell some pretty fancy light switches. :)

schwoch1
November 29th, 2011, 02:31 AM
You know, Mike...Lowes and Home Depot now sell some pretty fancy light switches. :)

Yah, but the neato lights inside of them don't work on 12 volts........ :grin:

Mike

Duramax 6.6L
November 29th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Put me down for one also.

GMPX
November 29th, 2011, 03:46 PM
We had Mike make up some harness leads for our own in-house breakout box, they were all top quality, I imagine he's boxes will also be of the same high standard.

S10Wildside
December 6th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Housings are done. On Friday I plan on taking the housings to the local fastener supplier to identify and order the attaching screws. This will likely be the longest delay. With any luck this new programming system will be ready for sale by next Friday (Dec 16th).

S10Wildside
December 8th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Enclosures are here. Fasteners are on order (expected to be here next week). First batch of circuit boards should be ready next week.

There is a backorder on the resettable fuse that we are using on the circuit board, so after the first 10 units are sold, there may be a waiting period until more resettable fuses are available.

S10Wildside
December 14th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Here it is...

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/images/professional_programming_switch_assembly.jpg

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/images/professional_programming_switch_assembly_alt02.jpg

Initial quantities are limited. Available now at http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/ItemDetails.aspx?ItemId=1121

ScarabEpic22
December 14th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Thats really dang nice! I think next summer Im going to be in the market for a benchtop programming setup, know where Im coming!

I dont see many choices for ECM/PCM connectors, assuming they're in the works now?

S10Wildside
December 14th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I dont see many choices for ECM/PCM connectors, assuming they're in the works now? There has been too much on my plate lately to assembly all possible ECU extension harnesses for the sake of taking photos and adding to the system. All ECU harnesses shown at http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/BenchtopProgramming.aspx can be assembled to be used with the Professional Series switch assembly.

Taz
December 14th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Hello Erik,

The programming harnesses from EFI Connection are of excellent quality - I own nearly all of them - highly recommended.

Regards,
Taz

ScarabEpic22
December 14th, 2011, 01:42 PM
There has been too much on my plate lately to assembly all possible ECU extension harnesses for the sake of taking photos and adding to the system. All ECU harnesses shown at http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/BenchtopProgramming.aspx can be assembled to be used with the Professional Series switch assembly.

Perfect, good to know. Ive been eyeing one of your older systems for a while, but never had the need (read volume) to support it. Hopefully that will change in the coming future!

Hello Erik,

The programming harnesses from EFI Connection are of excellent quality - I own nearly all of them - highly recommended.

Regards,
Taz

They appear to be great quality, Ive just only needed to tune computers already attached to a vehicle. Ill hopefully have a stable job in the next few months (done with college on friday), then Ill be able to pursue more options and spend more time tuning. The last few years its just been homework and tests, glad thats about to change!

schwoch1
December 21st, 2011, 04:05 PM
I just received my programmer yesterday and I will say that is gotta be the best engineered/looking piece I have ever seen for flashing a PCM hands down!!!! Good and solid, nicely finished and constructed, looks like it will prolly survive a war or two also!!! I flashed a PCM using my Drew Tech J2534 setup and my EFI Live software with no problems, but then again, I really did not expect to have any. All in all, this programmer is exactly the type of unit I would expect of Mike @ EFI Connection, top quality piece and components, and it looks damn good too!!!
Thanks Mike for coming out with this so I could replace by spliced junkyard connectors, red butt connectors and house light switches to flash my PCM's!!! I really appreciate it!!
Mike

joecar
December 21st, 2011, 04:41 PM
Wow, very nicely packaged.

macca33
December 21st, 2011, 09:23 PM
I just bit the bullet and ordered one of these (with the bonus LS1 PCM connector) from your online store. Order No. 002064. Please email if there are any issues with getting it over here to me.

Have a good Christmas!

cheers

S10Wildside
December 26th, 2011, 11:00 PM
We currently have a 6L90E transmission in the shop and found that, when ignition power is applied to the TCM, the current draw is approximately 1.41A. A typical ECU on the bench top will draw about 0.4A.

The AC to DC wall adapter we've been using is rated at 1.25A. The resettable fuse on the board has a hold current of 0.75A and trip current of 1.5A. This is more than sufficient for ECUs on the bench top. All reprogramming attempts (through TIS2WEB) failed, but EFILive did allow a read of the calibration. A common symptom of insufficient power was audible clicking from within the transmission assembly. Our T43 controller was not damaged during testing.

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/images/12V_wall_adapter.jpg

The T43 is an exception to all other bench top ECU programming we've done because the controller is still connected to the rest of the electronics inside the transmission. To address the T43 issue, we are going to source a "bigger" power supply and resettable fuse.

If you've already purchased one of these switch assemblies with the included 1.25A power supply and you have the T43 TCM requirement, then a free upgrade will be available. If no T43 requirement, then I see no concerns with what you currently have because the power supply and resettable fuse exceed every ECU we've programmed on the bench.

An additional power supply requirement we're working toward is the same 2.1mm jack, but interchangeable plugs for US, Australia/New Zealand, etc. Unfortunately this will slightly raise the price of the switch assembly (about $15.00).

S10Wildside
December 29th, 2011, 08:50 AM
The resettable fuses have been upgraded from 0.75A to 1.85A...

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/images/professional_programming_switch_assembly_alt02.jpg

...and we figure the circuit board trace size will allow for up to 4A if ever necessary.

There is now a new AC to DC wall adapter (that increases the price by $15.00)...
http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/images/professional_programming_power_adapter_2.5A_USA.jp g
http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/images/professional_programming_power_adapter_2.5A_AUST.j pg

Notice there are interchangeable plugs to suit wall outlets for various countries. The wall adapter input is 100-240V AC and output is 12V DC (2.5A).

GMPX
December 29th, 2011, 10:47 AM
You might want to do some testing with the E35, E39 & E69 ECM's too, these draw a lot of current on initial start-up, on the E39 it's sometimes enough to trip the 5A over current warning on my power supply. Once it figures there is no injectors I think it disables the high voltage circuits and the current draw drops down to 0.4A or so.

S10Wildside
December 29th, 2011, 11:05 AM
You might want to do some testing with the E35, E39 & E69 ECM's too, these draw a lot of current on initial start-up, on the E39 it's sometimes enough to trip the 5A over current warning on my power supply. Once it figures there is no injectors I think it disables the high voltage circuits and the current draw drops down to 0.4A or so.

Thanks for the heads-up! We will do some testing with these ECM before offering an extension harness for them.

macca33
January 5th, 2012, 07:37 PM
G'day Mike - my harness arrived today. Thanks very much for your assistance and I'll let you know how it runs, when I get it running.

cheers

macca33
February 1st, 2012, 05:59 PM
Been having a play with this on the bench - fantastic effort Mike et al. - it works exactly as it ought to. Might even start up Macca's Tuning P/L now......just joking!!!!

cheers