PDA

View Full Version : Urea injection - exhaust fluid

Boost
March 28th, 2011, 02:05 AM
So since I started the DPF removal thread for the LMM, and thanks to everyone's contributions and way more knowledgeable folks taking over it turned out to be a useful sticky, maybe we can discuss the urea exhaust fluid on the 2011+ here? I always figured it would become annoying especially going into limp mode and now that I've worked on plenty Audi Q7s with "Addblue" and back at the Chevy dealer seeing what a pain it is to install running boards due to the exhaust fluid tank (have to drop the urea reservoir to properly install regular running boards), let's start with a few questions I have. (please forgive if this has been discussed previously, I still would like to gather the Urea info in one place if possible).

1. Can we eliminate / bypass / turn-off the system and associated limp mode?

2. What harmful effects to the exhaust system can be caused by owners dumping liquids other than specified to satisfy the level sensor (corrosion, regen problems)?

Later I will post detailed description and operation of the system and any fresh updates coming out. Thanks!

8100 Power
March 28th, 2011, 08:02 AM
So since I started the DPF removal thread for the LMM, and thanks to everyone's contributions and way more knowledgeable folks taking over it turned out to be a useful sticky, maybe we can discuss the urea exhaust fluid on the 2011+ here? I always figured it would become annoying especially going into limp mode and now that I've worked on plenty Audi Q7s with "Addblue" and back at the Chevy dealer seeing what a pain it is to install running boards due to the exhaust fluid tank (have to drop the urea reservoir to properly install regular running boards), let's start with a few questions I have. (please forgive if this has been discussed previously, I still would like to gather the Urea info in one place if possible).

1. Can we eliminate / bypass / turn-off the system and associated limp mode?

2. What harmful effects to the exhaust system can be caused by owners dumping liquids other than specified to satisfy the level sensor (corrosion, regen problems)?

Later I will post detailed description and operation of the system and any fresh updates coming out. Thanks!

1.) It's possible. H&S Performance is selling Emission delete tuning. EFILive has stated they can't support the LML ECM at the moment. As of right now, H&S is the only one. Bullydog has one out but it doesn't support emission deletes.

2.) The truck isn't "dumb", it knows if you really put urea in or not. Also, a few have had problems with some UREA manufactures by the truck showing "DEF QUALITY LOW".

Boost
March 28th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks, good info. It would be a tragedy if EFILive can't hack this, but I understand it may be extremely difficult. :( Is "can wee pee in it" a valid question? Not that you could directly unless you stand on the bumper but you know what I mean. :) Come on EFIL!!!

GMPX
March 28th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Wasn't this supposed to be a discussion on Urea, not programming the bleeping ECM (again!)

Boost
March 28th, 2011, 10:41 AM
sorry sorry sorry and don't get so down about the whole thing, people will stick with EFILive and '01-10 trucks. I started with handhelds and NOT going back there. I don't think most people percieve this as EFILive's shortcoming, heck there is only rumors of a tune in develpment and some video with smoke. Even stock tunes run and smoke when you yank the dpf. In a few months, it will resolve itself, you'll see. For now, pressure's off EFILive with the stupid LMLs. Back to urea!!!

THEFERMANATOR
March 28th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I wonder if you could make like a UREA injection loop so that you could use a small tank of UREA and make it inject back to the tank in a loop. This way you could fool the stock ECM into thinking the UREA is there without it completely being there.

Boost
March 29th, 2011, 01:20 AM
I wonder if you could make like a UREA injection loop so that you could use a small tank of UREA and make it inject back to the tank in a loop. This way you could fool the stock ECM into thinking the UREA is there without it completely being there.

There's an idea. When I have a little time I'll post info about the circuit so we can look.

8100 Power
March 29th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I'm sure somewhere back there is a sensor that computes the whole process, that would throw the loop idea out. I'm just guessing though.

GMPX
March 29th, 2011, 11:33 AM
A Urea sensor simulator............but, we all know what happened to the last company that tried to simulate a sensor.
http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/cases/civil/caa/casper.html

bballer182
March 29th, 2011, 01:44 PM
A Urea sensor simulator............but, we all know what happened to the last company that tried to simulate a sensor.
http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/cases/civil/caa/casper.html

Whoa! never even heard of them. Must be a gasser thing.