PDA

View Full Version : lq9 engine transplant

lq9nissan
April 4th, 2011, 12:06 AM
i have an lq9 engine sitting in an 1997 gu nissan patrol, operating system 12592618 eng cal 12591925 trans 12582837. pcm programmed by someone else. problem-programmed for auto trans, using nissan 5 speed manual g/box, is there a file available ??

ScarabEpic22
April 4th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Post the tune file up, you can make an LS1 PCM do pretty much whatever you want. Manual shouldnt be an issue, just need to setup the transmission segment properly.

What is the current problem? As in why does the auto tune work currently?

lq9nissan
April 4th, 2011, 03:22 AM
ive had quite few issues, just working through them, i will post tune file tomorrow. fans not config properly but rectified. engine low on power not rectified, no data from O2sensors. engine lurch on decel from wot back to about 40-50% throttle.

Taz
April 4th, 2011, 03:37 AM
On the road for the day ... no access to tune files .... take a look at the attached thread beginning from post #30 ... LQ9 swap ... some of the information may be helpful to you. LQ4 and LQ9 tunes are very similar. If you would prefer a DBC setup, then you could use a 2002 or earlier LQ4 tune.

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14393-2004-5.3-Rockcrawler

Regards,
Taz

lq9nissan
April 4th, 2011, 12:11 PM
file

lq9nissan
April 4th, 2011, 01:06 PM
just thought i'd load the setup, so you have an idea of whats going on.
lq9 6ltr 2005-6 crate engine complete
nissan patrol GU 1997 full body wagon 5 sp man fact a/c (2100kg)
external cooling fan, twin 16" spal, dual relay single control (both on, on command) fed from ignition harness (another relay connected to pin 42)
running gm maf, map, ect sensor, 24t rel, single t cam(rear mounted), dbw, all engine components std, front o2s only. Vss interface to allow adjustment, reverse light signal connected (? (need to check where they wired it to).

disconnected or not using - oem oil pressure sensor(running nissan for gauge)
rear o2s, oil heater, mil light, tank level, tank pressure, coolant level, a/c only command from pcm to allow clutch engage,
no clutch switch or brake switch connected (?).

so far got fans working, they were set for srs parll, set now to aux, corrected on/off, works good.
changed idle circuit settings, prefer base idle 725rpm, (car has button clutch either on or off) challenging)
copy/pasted all fuel, spark, VE files from 12587811 2006 lq9 silverado (holdencrazy standard tune file).
have not had chance to drive as yet, will do tonight.
efilive saying no data available for o2s?.

Taz
April 4th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Sounds like a nice project you have on the go. There are a couple of areas you may want to revisit.

If you’re running a 2003+ DBW tune, then the O2 sensors must be the Isolated Ground variety (discussed in the thread linked in posted #4).

Without a brake switch connected to the PCM you may not be able to successful complete a CASE learn function.

Without a clutch switch you may (or may not) have problems with the rolling idle when the clutch pedal is depressed (not positive on this - tune mainly A4s).

I find even with a Hot Rod or custom vehicle, a MIL is very beneficial. Once you have your tune squared away, the MIL can alert you to a problem - just like in OEM produced vehicle.

It should be a nice ride when you’re done …

Regards,
Taz

lq9nissan
April 4th, 2011, 03:14 PM
sounds good, i dont really see a reason why i cant connect brake/clutch switch, car was factory cruise so all switch's are there, what do think about transmission setup in the tun file ??.
cheers for the advise and info, greatly appreciated.
just checked info on O2s definatley got the 4 wire isolated ground installed

lq9nissan
April 4th, 2011, 04:46 PM
http://www.lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm good link

lq9nissan
April 6th, 2011, 02:03 AM
first log, ign timing ?? going down as revs go up, no knock retard logged

lq9nissan
April 6th, 2011, 11:28 PM
tun file

lq9nissan
July 5th, 2011, 12:57 PM
hello all, long time no talk. my vehicle has been on hold for a few months. I managed to get things running quite smoothly after many many hours. However perfection still has not been achieved. I feel it is not achievable without the clutch and brake switch being connected for a start. Also having dificulties getting return to idle decay rate to speed up, any ideas.

joecar
July 6th, 2011, 02:46 AM
You do need the clutch switch.

Mr. P.
July 6th, 2011, 03:49 AM
+1; was just reading the post on tuning idle, and the clutch switch informs the PCM when to use the "P/N" columns or the "Drive" columns in all of the idle parameter tables - you won't get a clean idle without the clutch switch and (additionally) tuning those columns.

Mr. P.

lq9nissan
July 6th, 2011, 04:57 PM
the clutch switch, the switch in the vehicle is paralled with seperate brake switch it is 12vdc+ only when the cruise is enabled. connector c1 pin 33 i believe is fine for cruise. what about c1 pin 35 cpp switch signal, it it required and if so +vdc hot on ignition ??. or are you talkin about c2 pin 18 clutch start switch ?

Taz
July 7th, 2011, 01:07 AM
OK … should confirm a few things before making any further suggestions.

You stated previously that the engine is a 2005-2006 LQ9 crate motor. What / where are the following components from:

TB (Throttle Body)
APP (Accelerator Pedal Position) or “gas pedal”
TAC (Throttle Actuator Control)
Engine wiring harness
The reason I ask is that theTB / APP / TAC and PCM tune must be mutually compatible for the DBW system to function properly. You had indicated that you were using OS 12592618 (2005 OS). You also indicated that you had used OS 12587811 (2006 OS) to “copy and paste” some parameters.

Here is where I’m going …..

On 2003 to 2005 Gen III trucks (i.e. LQ9) the APP used 3 sensors (sometimes referred to as “pots”). This APP had 9 pins. This APP had a 10 way connector which used 9 of the 10 available cavities. The other end of this harness plugged into the TAC via a 10 way connector. The TAC featured a 16 way connector for output – to TB, PCM, Cruise, power, ground, etc.

On 2006 and early 2007 Gen III trucks (i.e. LQ9) the APP used 2 sensors. This APP had 6 pins. This APP had a 6 way connector which used all 6 available cavities. The other end of this harness plugged into the TAC – which I believe used the same 10 way type connector as was used with the 3 sensor APP. The TAC featured the same 16 way connector for output – as was used with the 3 sensor compatible TAC.

The 2003 to 2005 TB / APP / TAC and PCM tune should be mutually compatible – and the DBW system should function appropriately.

The 2006 to 2007 TB / APP / TAC and PCM tune should be mutually compatible – and the DBW system should function appropriately.

Any intermixing of these two groups of components will cause problems with the DBW system – which could manifest as complete dysfunction, or idle issues, or driveability issues, or any or all in combination.

Regards,
Taz

lq9nissan
July 7th, 2011, 09:02 PM
ok, dbw 10 pin conn. 9 in use. tac 10 pin connector. dbw 8 pin all in use.
dbw came with engine, app and tac came from harness & pcm supplier/ builder. i see where your coming from.
still need to sort the cpp switch and tcc brake/cruise switch out as well. i cant do that until i find out for sure what signal the pcm requires, +vdc hot on ign n/o or n/c. or -vdc no/nc

just finished going through 2003 & 2006 circuit diags. it is quite clear what Taz is saying about the App to Tac module wiring, basically there is no sense wire returning to the tac module from the first pot on 2003. the tac sends 2 serial class data transmissions to c1 pins 14/15. 2006 clearly shows the 2 pots only and the 6 wires.
so its most likely recieving currupted or unsupported data.(well spoted Taz).

Taz
July 8th, 2011, 03:48 AM
From your description, the APP you are using is a 2003 to 2005 variant. Try using a 2003 to 2005 truck tune - if the DBW is appropriately functional - then use that tune as your "base" for future tuning. If the DBW system still does not appear to function properly, then it is possible that the TAC is from a 2006 / 2007 - and would need to be replaced with a 2003 to 2005 TAC.

Hope some of this helps ....

Regards,
Taz

lq9nissan
July 8th, 2011, 03:52 AM
ok got 2003 silverado base modified and loaded, all functioning well, just need to get case relearn to take and im pretty sure i'll be well on my way to a much better drive, will keep posting with results as i go. if all is clear ill post the modified tune up. cheers

lq9nissan
July 8th, 2011, 03:56 PM
case relearn will not function no matter what i do, is the splash supposed to open in a seperate window as the efi tutorial suggests ?

lq9nissan
July 9th, 2011, 12:44 AM
still trying for a case relearn, got me beat, 14 hrs of mucking around and the best i can get is a red header bar on the dvt screen saying transmission in gear. i think im done with this already

Taz
July 9th, 2011, 01:45 AM
14 hours ... that's when the old man tends to break something !!

OK ... looked at your tune file in the other thread ... displays as a 2003 OS with an LQ9 engine and a 4L60 (A4) transmission. I had thought you swapped in manual transmission calibration and diagnostic segments - but it does not appear so.

If you are using an A4 configuration the PCM will look for input from the gear position / park-neutral switch(s) mounted on the A4 transmission - to determine transmission gear position / selection. If you are getting a message stating the transmission is in gear, this will prevent the CASE from executing.

Grounding C1 pin 32 and C1 pin 34 should mimic the "Park" signal sent to the PCM by transmission mounted switch(s).

Regards,
Taz

lq9nissan
July 9th, 2011, 02:18 AM
that sounds good, looked for the pinouts on the diag but shows switch with 5 ground circuits but no reference to which switch is PRND on the switch. whats me chances of getting someone to do a segment swap on that tune file i posted ?. if it cost $ to do so i'd be more than happy to share some $. its been a challenge doing this project but the patience is pushing the cap pressure a couple of psi over the rated blow off point. (especially when i paid over $4k to have it done in the first place)( had me little vent, feel better already haha)
cheers

Taz
July 9th, 2011, 02:36 AM
I didn't have 2003 tune files that were compatible ... attached is a 2004 LQ9 Escalade tune with manual segments swapped into the tune.

I have never used this tune - and as such is unproven.

Regards,
Taz

lq9nissan
July 9th, 2011, 04:00 AM
All done thanks Taz. that tune file certainly has done the trick, tomorrow i can get on with doing the fun part of tuning. Thanks heaps. For some reason i think the abuse management kicked in on the tune you posted while trying to perform the case relearn, so i upped the rpm range. Case relearn worked perfect after that. LTFT are high, But the engine only got 5-6 minutes of run time. Back into it tomorrow. Cheers ( for anyone needing the .tun file for the same application, start with the .tun file posted below in Taz's post OS12587603)