PDA

View Full Version : AEM wideband to FlashScan V2

T34418L31
April 4th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Hey all,

trying to hook up my AEM UEGO wideband into my buddies FlashScan V2 so we can log the wideband's output. I've read a bit and wanted to verify before making cables/blowing anything up.

Alright, so, from the AEM gauge, I'm going to run the blue cable (serial output "Connects to a RS-232 com port for hyper-terminal data logging") to pin 2 on a DB9 serial connector. The gauge already has power/ground.

Now, the FlashScan V2 serial cable (seen here (http://forum.efilive.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4046&d=1224114427)) has a female end. Am I right to think that I can simply wire the blue wire into pin 2 of a male serial cable, connect this to his FlashScan DB9 to RJ12 adapter, into the FlashScan handheld, and then have logging capabilities?

If I'm incorrect, please let me know. Need to iron out some part throttle/idle stuff so I stop getting 11MPG in a cam-only 2940lb car :grin:

68problemchild
April 4th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I am trying to do the same.

Which AEM Uego?

Mine is as follows:
Part Number 30-2310 AEM UEGO CONTROLLER

Here is the wiring diagram for mine.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/Images/Products/Installation%20Instructions%2030-2310.pdf

I am trying to wire it with the RJ12 connector (into top of V2) using pins 2 (to Uego Grey) and Pin 5 to Uego Brown. So far no luck.

Ira
April 4th, 2011, 11:00 AM
You need to use the grey and black, not the grey and brown.

Ira

T34418L31
April 6th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Picked up the male DB9 connector and hood last night. I'm going to build the cable today and I'll report back with results.

68problemchild
April 17th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Any one get this working yet?

So far I have a

Uego connection to Car or RJ14

Red to Switched hot in car
Black to Ground in car
Grey to red position 2 on RJ14
Brown to Orang position 5 on RJ14
White taped off

This does not work. According to IRA's suggestion, I loose the brown and this should work?

mr.prick
April 17th, 2011, 08:32 AM
According to the instructions that were posted:

The grey wire from the UEGO Controller outputs the data stream in an RS232 serial format.
To connect to the pc/laptop, an RS-232 DB-9 connector is recommended.
The grey wire from the UEGO Controller goes to pin 2 of the RS-232 DB-9 connector.
Pin 5 of the connector goes to ground. See Figure 5. 10449

68problemchild
April 17th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Is it possible to go direct RJ 14 into the top of the V2, eg grey to position 2 on RJ 14 and then RJ14 position 5 to ground? This leaves the white Uego and brown uego hanging.

Also, will this configuration, if it will work, only work with the PC connected to V2, rather than V2 acting stand alone?

PS, tested putting RJ14 position 5 from V2 to ground in addition to Grey AEM to position 2 on RJ14. This does not work. V2 reads "WO2 not found".

68problemchild
April 17th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Also, does the above diagram depict:
White AEM to V2's A1 plug at bottom and AEM brown to A2? Would the V2 still need a wire at the top? Grey AEM hooked up to the RJ14 connector?

mr.prick
April 17th, 2011, 12:17 PM
The serial wire goes to pin 2 on the rj12.
You may also need to connect a ground to the rj12 pin 5 but the AEM instructions do not call for this.
If using the analog wires they will go to one of the AD input sets. (positive & negative)

____RJ12______
1 = Tx Data
2 = Rx Data
5 = Ground

You will need to select the WBO2 manufacturer in the V2's internal settings too.
http://www.taquickness.com/taqcables/TAQCables_sGEN.pdf

68problemchild
April 17th, 2011, 12:40 PM
So AEM Grey (serial??) to position #2 on RJ14 cable. This with a switched car hot to AEM red and AEM black to negative gives me a flashing light on V2.

Are "AD" input sets the ones on the bottom of V2?
Do I need AEM white to A1 and AEM brown to A2?
Does this need to be done in conjunction with the above or as an alternative to it?

Thank you very much for the help. Noob here.

mr.prick
April 17th, 2011, 02:40 PM
So AEM Grey (serial??) to position #2 on RJ14 cable. This with a switched car hot to AEM red and AEM black to negative gives me a flashing light on V2.
Yes.
A ground may also be needed. (rj12 pin 5)
Did you configure the V2's internal settings like in the .pdf in post #9 (http://<u>http//www.taquickness.com/taqcables/TAQCables_sGEN.pdf%3C/u%3E)?

Are "AD" input sets the ones on the bottom of V2?
Do I need AEM white to A1 and AEM brown to A2?
Does this need to be done in conjunction with the above or as an alternative to it?

Yes.
These are an alternative or addition, your choice not necessary w/serial. :grin:
No.
Each AD set has a positive & a negative.
The AEM's white wire is positive & the brown is the negative.
Choose an AD set and connect them accordingly.
Example: AD1+ = white wire & AD1- = brown wire.
Select that AD set's voltage pid then you can make the calc_pid for Lambda/AFR.

http://forum.efilive.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6662&d=1258931546

68problemchild
April 18th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Thank you very much.

I did run the TA quickness set up. No "Com in" or "Com out" in my version of V2. So unclear if my setttings are correct in V2.

My hope is with the AEM unit signaling a steady green "ready" light, and heating up, my issues are now only with V2. I do have the flashing yellow light on V2 so can I assume data is going to V2?

I will try adding the PC this evening to see if perhaps the computer can see what V2 cannot at this point.

If that fails, I will take a run at the AD hook up.

joecar
April 18th, 2011, 03:02 AM
To run to V2, doesn't wideband Rx have to be connected to V2 Tx...?

mr.prick
April 18th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Pin #2 on the V2 rj12 is Rx, right Joe?

The grey wire from the UEGO Controller outputs the data stream in an RS232 serial
format. To connect to the pc/laptop, an RS-232 DB-9 connector is recommended. The
grey wire from the UEGO Controller goes to pin 2 of the RS-232 DB-9 connector. Pin 5
of the connector goes to ground. See Figure 5.

AEM says to connect the grey wire to Rx (pin #2 on DB-9) (http://www.larkfield.org/pdf/RS232_DB9_Connector.pdf)
There should not be a null modem or any other device in between the V2 and AEM for this tho.

68problemchild, what firmware is installed in the V2?
Have you tried connecting the AEM to a laptop via serial?

68problemchild
April 19th, 2011, 08:41 AM
V2 firmware is 2.07.09 updated March 31, 2011. This is the info from EFI live explorer and the "firmware tab".

Boot block is 2.07.01

The data file tab is empty. Not sure if this is relevant.

Also, in Scan and tune/Devices/Serial I/O, this was set up LC-1 and I changed it to AEM UEGO. Not sure if this will help.

Car is currently in the shop so no way to check the lap top idea in the interim.

Thanks for all the great ideas guys. I appreciate your patience with the NOOB.

I had to order an RJ14 so I am assuming this is the correct plug since it has the 6 pins.

joecar
April 19th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Pin #2 on the V2 rj12 is Rx, right Joe?

The grey wire from the UEGO Controller outputs the data stream in an RS232 serial
format. To connect to the pc/laptop, an RS-232 DB-9 connector is recommended. The
grey wire from the UEGO Controller goes to pin 2 of the RS-232 DB-9 connector. Pin 5
of the connector goes to ground. See Figure 5.AEM says to connect the grey wire to Rx (pin #2 on DB-9) (http://www.larkfield.org/pdf/RS232_DB9_Connector.pdf)
There should not be a null modem or any other device in between the V2 and AEM for this tho.

68problemchild, what firmware is installed in the V2?
Have you tried connecting the AEM to a laptop via serial?Mike,

See post #19 here: DCE-to-DCE (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?9340-serial-port-cable-that-goes-to-v2&p=109717&viewfull=1#post109717)

V2 RJ12 pin 2 = Tx (on DCE devices Tx receives data, which is what you said above)...

[ DTE is as labelled; DCE is opposite of as labelled ]

yes, you're correct, this means he has it wired correctly.

joecar
April 19th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Is the AEM powered up when you try to read it using V2...?

68problemchild
April 20th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Yes. Its powered up. Shows status light solid green saying "ready" after several short flashes during initial start up.

With grey wire connected to V2, I do have a flashing yellow light on V2 when car is running.

Big Block
April 20th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Is it possible to link two aems together like the lc-1s?

joecar
April 20th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Is it possible to link two aems together like the lc-1s?The LC-1 supports daisy chaining by having a id1/id2 protocol so that the receiving serial device (V2 in this case) can tell which is which.

Or, more simply: no, not that I know of.

joecar
April 27th, 2011, 08:03 AM
68problemchild,

see this thread, try swapping Rx with Tx:

JAW-Wideband-serial-connection&p=143297#post143297 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?16196-JAW-Wideband-serial-connection&p=143297#post143297)

68problemchild
May 1st, 2011, 08:09 AM
So if using the RJ14 (6 position) plug to V2, which position goes to TX and RX? Positions 1 (black) and 2 (red)?

I believe a white wire goes to position 5 on the RJ14 plug. Not sure if this comes into play.

I can call AEM and find out which wires are TX and RX respectively on the AEM unit itself.

Thanks.

joecar
May 1st, 2011, 10:43 AM
Yes, pins 1 and 2 on the RJ12 plug.

Pin 5 is ground, you need this.

mr.prick
May 1st, 2011, 10:51 AM
The AEM directions call for the GRAY wire to be connected to pin #2 of a RS-232 DB-9 connector.

The cable that comes with the V2 has a DB9 end and an RJ-11 end.
db9__rj11
_2 <-> 1_Rx
_3 <-> 2_Tx
_5 <-> 5_Signal Ground

http://www.lammertbies.nl/picture/db9_pin_name.png
http://forum.efilive.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10621&d=1304290299

joecar
May 10th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Related thread (which I had forgot about): showthread.php?15748-AEM-compatibility (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15748-AEM-compatibility&highlight=AEM+30-4100)

derkscustomcars
October 23rd, 2011, 04:38 PM
hello,

I have the same problem

the display show W02 NOT FOUND

ii have tried every wire combination and still no luck, the sensor is grounded, my yellow light is flashing, the green light on the UEGO controller is on

im lost

joecar
October 24th, 2011, 06:34 AM
hello,

I have the same problem

the display show W02 NOT FOUND

ii have tried every wire combination and still no luck, the sensor is grounded, my yellow light is flashing, the green light on the UEGO controller is on

im lostHow did you connect it...?

derkscustomcars
October 24th, 2011, 09:52 AM
serial out from AEM UEGO module, grey wire, to RS232 on Flashscan, i tried both pin 1 or 2 of the RJ-11

Brown wire to #5 of RJ-11 and to vehicle and ground

Power as per AEM manual. I have tried the ground wire any way, just to RJ-11, Just to vehicle ground, not hooked up etc

The yellow light on the V2 flashes as there is something going on, but nothing.

I set up the Flashscan with Efilive Scan and Tune version 8.2.1, build 170. i went through all the settings, like i said, im lost

Thanks

joecar
October 24th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Connect like this:
AEM grey wire -> RJ11 pin 1
AEM black wire -> RJ11 pin 5

The black wire also goes to vehicle/battery ground.

Do not connect the brown wire to anything (at all)(tape it off);

derkscustomcars
October 24th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks, But i'm pretty sure i tried that, i will give it another try

by black you mean the sensor negative that comes in the bundle of wire? white (EUGO 0 - 5v) , Brown (analog -) and Grey (RS232) or do i run a separate ground wire and just use only the
grey one out of the bundle?

I have AEM Part number 30-2310

Thanks again

Blacky
October 24th, 2011, 03:59 PM
If you see the orange LED (second from the right, correction left) on FlashScan's keypad flashing, then that indicates serial data is being received by FlashScan.
That means the physical connection is probably working correctly.

In that case, let it receive data for about 5-10 seconds, then select the option:
F1: Scan Tool -> F3 Scan Options -> F1 Save Trace File.

Then using EFILive_Explorer, copy the saved trace file to your PC and email it to me at paul@efilive.com (include a link to this thread so I know what its about).
I will try to figure out why FlashScan is not recognizing the device.

P.S. When using the FlashScan option:
F1: Scan Tool -> F2: Data Logging -> F3: Display WO2
there are a number of hotkeys that you may find useful:

1. Backspace will cycle through all wideband options, make sure you have the correct wide band selected.
2. Enter will cycle through the different display format options.
3. For innovate the "0" key will perform a free air calibration.

Regards
Paul

derkscustomcars
October 24th, 2011, 04:15 PM
thanks,

i will save the trace file and email it to you, it might take a while as i run my shop part time and work up north 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off, i'll be leaving for work this week

Matt

joecar
October 24th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Run a separate ground wire from where the AEM connects to vehicle/battery ground, and use only the grey wire.

restless@westnet.com.au
March 2nd, 2013, 02:38 PM
did you get the aem working
im trying to conect one up allso part # 30- 2310 in line unite (no gage ) there is only a BROWN WIRE and a WHITE wire cominig out OF THE AEM .
WItCH wire goes to the RX ON THE RJ 12 PLUG IN THE V2 ?
THANKS

joecar
March 8th, 2013, 10:09 AM
did you get the aem working
im trying to conect one up allso part # 30- 2310 in line unite (no gage ) there is only a BROWN WIRE and a WHITE wire cominig out OF THE AEM .
WItCH wire goes to the RX ON THE RJ 12 PLUG IN THE V2 ?
THANKS
14671Hi Bob,

You really need the grey wire, you might have to open the AEM case and look inside, or talk with AEM.

Connect like this:
AEM grey wire -> RJ11 pin 1
AEM black wire -> RJ11 pin 5

The black wire also goes to vehicle/battery ground.

Do not connect the brown wire to anything (at all)(tape it off);

restless@westnet.com.au
May 6th, 2013, 01:03 PM
HOW ARE THE searial pins # (top right side on v2 looking at the screen front ) is it 1 to 6 from left to wright ???

joecar
May 7th, 2013, 02:35 AM
See post #24 above.

restless@westnet.com.au
May 14th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Is it possible to go direct RJ 14 into the top of the V2, eg grey to position 2 on RJ 14 and then RJ14 position 5 to ground? This leaves the white Uego and brown uego hanging.

Also, will this configuration, if it will work, only work with the PC connected to V2, rather than V2 acting s

PS, tested putting RJ14 position 5 from V2 to ground in addition to Grey AEM to position 2 on RJ14. This does not work. V2 reads "WO2 not found".

did you ever get it to work ???

bplumcrazy
October 3rd, 2014, 07:42 AM
Did anyone get theirs working .... I'm trying to get mine but keep getting not found

joecar
October 3rd, 2014, 10:01 PM
Did anyone get theirs working .... I'm trying to get mine but keep getting not foundSpecifically, which model of AEM...?

bplumcrazy
October 4th, 2014, 05:16 AM
30-4110 it's the same as the 30-4100 but uses the new LSU 4.9 sensor

joecar
October 4th, 2014, 01:20 PM
30-4110 it's the same as the 30-4100 but uses the new LSU 4.9 sensorCan you post the user manual pdf for it...

bplumcrazy
October 4th, 2014, 01:35 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/05/azubunyz.jpg
This is the diagram....... I have pin 5 grounded and tried the blue wire on pin 2 and said not found then I tried pin 1 (on the RJ connector)

efilivesteven
January 15th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Did you ever get this figured out and working with the v2?

derkscustomcars
January 16th, 2015, 03:04 PM
I gave up and bought a different one!

efilivesteven
January 16th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Lol well dang im trying to hook mine up having the same problem

Blacky
January 16th, 2015, 06:39 PM
I've been working on a new serial interface for the Ecotrons ALM wideband. It will be available for testing in a few days
Since I'm currently working on the wideband serial interface for FlashScan I'll take another look at the AEM serial interface to see if anything is wrong. I'll probably not get to it until Tuesday next week. I'll post up any relevant info then.

Regards
Paul

efilivesteven
January 18th, 2015, 09:32 PM
Alright then thnx

Blacky
January 30th, 2015, 01:54 PM
A pre-release version of the software is available that supports the Ecotrons ALM wideband serial interface, available here:
https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?25094-Update-Jan-2015

Regards
Paul

efilivesteven
February 2nd, 2015, 04:09 PM
Alright thnx I'll try it when I get home from work tonight

Blacky
February 4th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Alright thnx I'll try it when I get home from work tonight

There is a bug in the Jan 2015 pre-release firmware that causes black box logging to fail and that prevents wide band O2 data from being logged.
You can however, use the: F1 Scan Tool -> F2 Data Logging -> F3 Display WO2 option to view the wideband data.
When viewing the wideband data, press [Back Space] to cycle through the wide band types until you get to the correct one.

As soon as its available, updated firmware will be posted here: https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?25095-Known-issues-with-Jan-2015-release-of-the-EFILive-software-and-firmware

Regards
Paul

T2000
February 13th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Hmmm Not sure why you guys are having problems getting a UEGO to work on your V2.
I use one regularly and i'm on the latest V2 firmware,V7,V8 releases (non Beta)... no issues for me.
Does the serial data link light flash on your V2 when you plug the serial cable in? (it will flash regardless of whether you have the V2 configured correctly)

efilivesteven
February 17th, 2015, 08:40 AM
I only get 2 lights to flash on my v2 and thats when im loading a tune or pulling a tune

T2000
February 17th, 2015, 02:07 PM
I only get 2 lights to flash on my v2 and thats when im loading a tune or pulling a tune
You definitely have a wiring issue, a fault with your aem or a fault with your v2 serial socket.
From memory serial data light is 2nd from the right and should blink as soon as the v2 is connected to a serial data source via the connector.
Time to do some troubleshooting...
Have you connected your v2 to any other serial device?
Have you tried connecting your AEM to a laptop to check that it is sending serial data? Plenty of info on the net re how to do this. ;-)

Blacky
February 17th, 2015, 02:12 PM
From memory serial data light is 2nd from the right

Second from the left. :)

LEDs on FlashScan V2 are (from left to right):

Green = Data logging in progress
Orange = Serial data TX/RX
Blue = Data being written to flash memory or SD Card
Orange = OBDII data TX/RX
Green = USB data TX/RX

Regards
Paul

efilivesteven
February 17th, 2015, 03:53 PM
I will check all this tomorrow after I get off work. I always just figured I was doing something wrong.

rbp4u
February 18th, 2015, 03:25 AM
T2000 Thank you for the diagram. I have read many threads about this but this is by far easiest thing to understand. Just got my UEGO and trying do decipher every ones descriptions was a PIA. Thanks for the pic!

Can you run the ground off the UEGO and the ground from the RJ11 together? or should they be separate?

jmsmotorsport
May 13th, 2015, 07:16 PM
well since people have been here fairly recently I will post here, I two originally was getting the Wo2 not found turns out I had the wires wrong signal needs to come out of pin 2 where it goes into V2 so its the red wire 2nd from right with the clip bit facing up. Now I am getting the AFR reading but when logging it doesn't display anything on the PID? Anyone have a solution to this issue?

Blacky
May 13th, 2015, 07:22 PM
well since people have been here fairly recently I will post here, I two originally was getting the Wo2 not found turns out I had the wires wrong signal needs to come out of pin 2 where it goes into V2 so its the red wire 2nd from right with the clip bit facing up. Now I am getting the AFR reading but when logging it doesn't display anything on the PID? Anyone have a solution to this issue?

See issue #2 here:
https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?25502-Known-issues-with-May-01-2015-Public-Release

Regards
Paul

jmsmotorsport
May 13th, 2015, 08:58 PM
Hey mate I actually download a new version yesterday or is this one later? I managed to log it just into the V2 but when in pass through mode it doesn't work.

Blacky
May 13th, 2015, 09:30 PM
Hey mate I actually download a new version yesterday or is this one later? I managed to log it just into the V2 but when in pass through mode it doesn't work.

Check the installed version number in Help->About. If you downloaded and installed the software from our web site it will be V7.5.7.282.
You need to then do the "Check For Updates" option to update it to V7.5.7.283.

Regards
Paul

jmsmotorsport
May 14th, 2015, 12:22 AM
Checked the version and you were spot on, updated it so will check it again tomorrow and see if it's sorted. This has to be one of the best forums I have been on.