PDA

View Full Version : how does the licencing work...noob alert

bgray
April 5th, 2011, 10:21 AM
hello all,

i just purchased efi ver 2 from a reseller. i also just joined the forum today to try and get a bit of a grasp on what i just bought before it shows up. i have someone else doing my tuning, and will be learning as we go.

however, how does the licencing work? i have 3 gm vehicles, 2 gasser trucks and one diesel, that i want to tune. is there licences that need to be purchased for each vehicle....? i know hp tuners u would buy credits for doing cars, how does efi live work in that sense

thanks very much, and if anyone has any links that a newbie like me should read plz pass them along

thanks
brandon

bgray
April 5th, 2011, 10:23 AM
and to start i put it in the wrong section, plz move if needed

joecar
April 5th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Hi BG welcome to the forum :cheers:

EFILive licensing works like this: a flashing license attaches to a PCM serial number or to a ECM/TCM serial number pair.

What are the model/year of each of your vehicles...?

With HPT, your vehicles have to be the same year.

Follow links in my sig (pertaining to gasser tuning).

bgray
April 5th, 2011, 11:13 AM
where and how do i purchase licences

joecar
April 5th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Your V2 should already come with 2 licenses (each can do either of 1 PCM or 1 ECM/TCM pair).

Additional licenses are obtained from the EFILive Online Store (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=85).

bgray
April 5th, 2011, 11:47 AM
perfect thanks for the info. thats great as the two trucks need programming now and the other can wait!

Jim_PA
April 16th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Hi BG welcome to the forum :cheers:

EFILive licensing works like this: a flashing license attaches to a PCM serial number or to a ECM/TCM serial number pair.

So if I have one engine computer, and I want to flash 5 different vehicle OS's to it (any 2003-2006 GM Truck), all this requires is one license, because I'm only flashing these files to one physical engine computer, right?

Taz
April 16th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Yes sir .. once the PCM / ECM / TCM is licenced - flash it as many times as you want, with whatever OS you want (as long as the OS is compatible).

Regards,
Taz

Jim_PA
April 16th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Sweet thanks

joecar
April 16th, 2011, 09:33 AM
So if I have one engine computer, and I want to flash 5 different vehicle OS's to it (any 2003-2006 GM Truck), all this requires is one license, because I'm only flashing these files to one physical engine computer, right?

Yes sir .. once the PCM / ECM / TCM is licenced - flash it as many times as you want, with whatever OS you want (as long as the OS is compatible).

Regards,
TazYes, correct, exactly as Taz said, then you can flash in any PCM compatible OS any time... no new license required.

For example, say you had boost and nitrous, you would first flash in an F-body 12212156 OS, and then flash in 02020005 (COS5)... all on your current PCM license (no extra licenses, no extra cost).

ScarabEpic22
April 16th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Yep, just be sure to keep the 99-02 and 03-08 OSs separate, cant flash a 1MB tune into a 512kb PCM! (I dont know about going the other way though).

This is much handier than HPT's licensing structure where you have to pay to change OSs. Doesnt make sense at all for swap guys trying 3 or 4 different OSs, costs an arm and a leg!

joecar
April 16th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Jim,

And welcome to the forum :cheers: