PDA

View Full Version : E38 Standalone problems

GAMEOVER
April 10th, 2011, 01:33 AM
(This is my 12th E38 Harness I have built with No Problems on the previous 11)...:D

I built a E38 standalone harness for a 2007 5.3ltr engine(58X GEN4) using a TH350 transmission...Brand new wires & connector's. I plug everything in, hook up power-ground-ignition & as soon as key is switched on can I hear fuel pump prime for 2 seconds & I can hear throttle body receiving power because it opens & closes quickly.... Injectors, coils & maf sensor all have power. I press on electronic pedal and nothing happens, I check power again & everything is fine!!! I took apart both connectors at computer & check all pins & locations & checked continuity for every wire & pin 10 times and everything checks out perfectly...So I plug in V2 into OBD2 port & with ignition ON I get "ERROR-VEHICLE NOT DETECTED" ...Checked pin location & continuity for High Speed GMLAN data bus (+ -) PIN's 27-28 both check out OK! Checked ground on PIN 73 and also checked power at computer on PIN'S 19-20-47 all 3 pins have power with ignition ON.. I check-recheck-check again-check again-recheck again & nothing!!! Next I pug ECM into Bench Harness & V2 connects just like normal & I notice I have 8 DTC's and they all have to do with Throttle Body & Electric Pedal, so I check connector's at TB & Pedal no damage & pins at connector aren't bent or anything. Verify that both pin location at connector match location on ECM connector & perfect-checked continuity too & checks out fine.....:shock:
I tried clearing DTC's on bench and they will not clear, I've tried it 5 times with no luck. Why will the Throttle body & Electric pedal DTC's not clear? Maybe this is my problem...but no matter what I do DTC's will not clear on this E38 ECM...

GAMEOVER
April 10th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Anyone got any suggestions??? I'm pretty much stuck...:help2::help2::help2:

Taz
April 10th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Hello GameOver,

I always learn something from your posts. As you know from my previous posts, I’m still getting up to speed on the Gen IVs, and what I don’t know greatly exceeds what I do know.

The only thing that immediately comes to mind may not be applicable to your current situation. As I understand potential Gen IV Throttle Body (TB) issues - the “base tune” in the ECM must be similar to the tune flashed in.

That is, beginning with an ECM from a Corvette, and flashing in a truck tune with the same OS, may cause TB issues - the reverse is also true.

If you are working with an original truck ECM and OS this phenomenon should not apply.

Regards,
Taz

GAMEOVER
April 10th, 2011, 03:40 AM
Hey Taz,
The OS, ECM, TB & Pedal are all from the same Vehicle. But what gets me is that I can't clear the Pedal & TB DTC's...I think when I initially turned ignition on...The pedal & TB were not connected, so I connected them quickly without turning ignition off...

GAMEOVER
April 10th, 2011, 05:35 AM
How do I clear trouble the codes...V2 will not clear...I don't know whats going on...:(

GMPX
April 10th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Why will the Throttle body & Electric pedal DTC's not clear? Maybe this is my problem...but no matter what I do DTC's will not clear on this E38 ECM...
I'm not trying to sound like a smart a***, but the reason they won't clear is there is obviously a fault of some sort. It's like unplugging the coolant temp sensor and then questioning why the coolant temp sensor DTC won't clear.
It's quite common that ECM's will set a bunch of DTC's on a bench programming harness, it's when you put it back in the vehicle and then clear codes you need to follow what those remaining codes are telling you.

GAMEOVER
April 10th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I was actually trying to clear DTC's on bench, because I couldn't communicate with vehicle. I found the problem though...my bad :redface:
I was one pin off on ECM connector X1 pin#32 I kept pinning out pin#33
32=APP Sensor 2 Signal.......33=5 Volt Reference