PDA

View Full Version : Swap Vortec 5.7 for LT1? Control with 411?

Supercharged111
April 19th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Ignition is my prime concern here as the LT1 uses the illustrious optispark. I have access to this engine dirt ass cheap. Plan is to give it a stock rebuild and throw it in my truck, hopefully knock the compression ratio down around 10:1 flat. The appeal is the aluminum heads and the intake that accepts normal injectors that are easily upsized when the Whipple goes on, which the aluminum heads will again better facilitate than my Vortec irons.

schwoch1
April 19th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Call up Mike @ EFI Connection, he can set you up with what you need to get rid of the optispark unit and get your LT1 controlled by a 411 PCM. Check out his website at www.eficonnection.com .

Mike

Supercharged111
April 20th, 2011, 03:44 AM
I remember seeing that a while back now that you posted it. Only problem now is the Caprices got the iron heads that I never knew existed, stupid GM. :doh2:

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/images/24x_LT1_Components.jpg

schwoch1
April 27th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I remember seeing that a while back now that you posted it. Only problem now is the Caprices got the iron heads that I never knew existed, stupid GM. :doh2:

THe iron heads are actually pretty good, as compared to the aluminum ones. From what I understand, the main advantage to the aluminum heads was the weight reduction, that was about it. Flow was nearly the same, port configuration is the same. Unless you really need the aluminum heads, keep the cast ones.... in a truck an extra 25 lbs won't make a huge difference!!!!

Mike

Supercharged111
April 27th, 2011, 01:48 PM
It was never about the weight, rather the heat dissipation, as the Vortec heads flow a close 2nd to the LT1 heads.

schwoch1
April 27th, 2011, 03:17 PM
It was never about the weight, rather the heat dissipation, as the Vortec heads flow a close 2nd to the LT1 heads.

Gotcha......
I don't think I have seen any concrete proof that the heat rejection of the AL heads is superior to the CI heads. Understanding metals a little bit, you would think the AL heads will dissapate heat faster, but that is just theory!!!

Mike