PDA

View Full Version : HELP dead pedal after DSP5 flash!!!

DURAtotheMAX
April 22nd, 2011, 06:09 AM
Big problem here...

2005 LLY, manual trans.

I just flashed a customers truck with a DSP5 tune and now I have a dead pedal, the engine just idles. I have seen this several random times before on my own truck, but on my truck I just re-reflashed it a couple times and the problem went away.

Ive tried reflashing this truck here several times between the stock OS and the DSP5 OS and every time I full-flash to the DSP5 OS it, I get a dead pedal.

The wild card is that its a ZF6 truck. Is there something weird about the DSP5 OS that doesnt play nicely with a ZF operating system/calibration???

The original ZF6 OS in the ECM was 15231600. So when I did the "update to DSP5" thing it changed it to 05160005 operating system. Is there some glitch with this OS?

Im going to try reflashing the ECM right now with the Tech 2/TIS2WEB and then reflash it again with EFILive to the DSP5 operating system and see what happens...

Ben

ScarabEpic22
April 22nd, 2011, 06:52 AM
Ben I just looked at the DSP5 upgrade tutorial and that OS is indeed listed.

What position is the switch in, stock or one of the DSP tunes? Maybe the DSP part of the tune is causing the dead pedal?

Dont know for sure, let us know what happens with a fresh TIS2WB OS/cal.

GMC-2002-Dmax
April 24th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Call me, I had this happen on two LLY's recently, it is a corrupted script or tune file, you cannot use the DSP5 tune for a comparison, script or anything. It is not going to work.

It took me a month to track the problem down and resolve it.

DURAtotheMAX
May 10th, 2011, 04:27 AM
I figured it out...I had to flash the ECM first to the stock tune with TIS2WEB/Tech 2. Then I tried reflashing with the DSP5 manual trans OS. Didnt work. The manual trans single-tune OS worked fine. Just that when Id flash to DSP5 I would get a dead pedal.

Finally what I ended up doing was flashing it with the Tech 2/TIS2WEB with a VIN from a ZF6 truck. I had to do some different things because as we all know, TIS2WEB is all VIN based, its not going to flash a ZF6 OS into a VIN that had an allison from the factory. But I finally got it to work, then read out that fresh Tech-2-flashed tune, changed that into a DSP5 tune, reflashed it with EFILIve in, and it worked! But the VIN was still wrong (because it was left over from the TIS flash. So then I changed the VIN, reflashed again with EFILive, and then got it working.

Long process, but now it works, DSP5, ZF6 operating system, VIN's match perfectly...stupid LLY's!

joecar
May 10th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Can you set the VIN from the scantool (bidirectional->Change VIN)...?

DURAtotheMAX
May 10th, 2011, 07:37 AM
yes, once I got the tune sorted out, then I was able to change the VIN in the ECM back to the proper VIN for the truck.

DURAtotheMAX
February 18th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Ok I feel like an idiot...this nasty gremlin got me AGAIN. I totally forgot that this whole debacle happened to me back in 2011.

I built a standalone harness for customer with a ZF6 LLY setup in a Ford super duty.....he got the harness in and engine fired up but had a dead pedal. After hours and hours on the phone I thought something must be goofed with the ECM...so I sent him another ECM with the same tune flashed in.

Same GD problem....dead throttle pedal.

So I came on the forum here and searched, and DUHH found my original thread and now I remember.

WHY does this happen? It seems like its a ZF6 OS thing. What exactly gets corrupted? Can I no longer trust EFILive to flash the same DSP-5 tune file into multiple ECM's?

That would be extremely annoying if I had to flash each individual ECM using a ZF6 VIN with TIS, read the fresh/virgin tune out, convert to DSP-5, then full flash that SPECIFIC tune back into the ECM every time I tune a ZF6 truck.......

Does something "secret" in the background get changed when you go between ZF6 and Allison OS's, and the DSP-5 upgrade process doesnt catch it? So if you have an Allison calibration in an ECM, and just straight full-flash a ZF6 DSP-5 tune right from EFILive, something "behind the scenes" doesnt get changed properly, and Im left with an engine that will only idle?

I know the LLY is dead and Ross doesnt have any time to look back into LLY stuff, but I more bumped this thread back up for other tuners who have swapped between ZF6 DSP-5, Allison DSP-5, ZF6 single, and Allison single-tune calibrations......and try to narrow down where exactly the glitch rears its ugly head.

Ive spent over $100 on shipping ECM's back and forth to my frustrated customer, so it would be nice to figure this out once and for all.....

Ben

GMC-2002-Dmax
February 18th, 2015, 09:01 AM
Did you use a clean TIS or did you swap a ZF6 system segment into an Allison Base File ?

DURAtotheMAX
February 18th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Did you use a clean TIS or did you swap a ZF6 system segment into an Allison Base File ?

I bench flashed an ECM a couple months ago with the proper TIS base ZF6 file. Read it out with EFILive, saved it as "2005 lly zf6 base single tune"....just to have it in my library for whatever. Then just recently when I had to do that ZF6 standalone conversion, I opened up that ZF6 base file, did the "upgrade to DSP5" thing...saved it....re-opened...wrote the DSP-5 tune (made changes to tune, etc)....then full flashed it into the customers LLY ECM that he sent me.

The ECM was originally from an Allison truck...I just full-flashed over it with that ZF6 DSP-5 tune that I had on my computer from whenever.

He got the ECM, truck wouldnt start, he swore up and down that I messed up the tune and forgot to disable VATS. I was 100% positive I had done the tune properly, Ive built over 50 standalone harnesses, but to make him happy I full-flashed another LLY ECM (also originally had an allison cal in it) I had here on the shelf with the same ZF6 DSP-5 tune...obviously triple-checking VATS was disabled.

Shipped the ECM to him next day air (to colorado, awesome), and the next day he admitted that he accidentally had the CKP and CMP sensors plugged in backwards (so it wasnt my fault at all, the VATS was properly disabled on the first ECM just fine)....but when he swapped them, engine fired right up but dead pedal. He swapped in that 2nd ECM I sent him...same thing, dead pedal.

So before I spend another pile of money UPS-expediting him another ECM, I want to make damn sure its going to work and not have any dead pedal issues.

It seems you cant re-use ZF6 DSP-5 tune files and full-flash directly to an Allison-cal ECM......from what I found out 4 years ago, you have to flash with TIS using a ZF6 VIN, then read the tune out, convert IT to DSP-5, then rebuild the tune from scratch. EACH TIME. Fun!

Ben

GMC-2002-Dmax
February 18th, 2015, 09:22 AM
If you have a script that is corrupted, and I do not know how it happens but it happened to me so I know what it is your experiencing.

Do not use that dead pedal file as a base file, or as a compared file or to make a script, if you did that the reason the dead pedal is there is because you used the same corrupt file or compared that corrupt file.

I bet if you redid the tune using the clean TIS and not a compare or script it would be fine.

I use TIS files or library files from my PC all the time, ni issues swapping between them.

DURAtotheMAX
February 18th, 2015, 09:32 AM
If you have a script that is corrupted, and I do not know how it happens but it happened to me so I know what it is your experiencing.

Do not use that dead pedal file as a base file, or as a compared file or to make a script, if you did that the reason the dead pedal is there is because you used the same corrupt file or compared that corrupt file.

I bet if you redid the tune using the clean TIS and not a compare or script it would be fine.

I use TIS files or library files from my PC all the time, ni issues swapping between them.

I did NOT use a script for anything; something else must have gotten corrupted along the way. I literally copied/pasted each table by hand from my standard "LLY stock turbo built trans DSP-5" tune (with the exception of the base torque and TLIQ tables because those are unique to Allison/ZF6)....just for that reason...I didnt want a script messing anything up. So I guess the base ZF6 file must have been corrupted somehow.

I was hoping I wouldnt have to dick around with my own truck in the parking lot for 6 hours test-flashing and test-reading just to make sure this 3rd ECM im sending my customer works 100%.......Ive got a million other things to do. But if it comes down to it, I guess thats what Ill have to do..............

DURAtotheMAX
February 24th, 2015, 01:07 AM
Anyone have any other ideas about this?

Im starting over from scratch again...flashing ZF6 OS with TIS, then read out with EFILive, then update to DSP-5, then full-flash back in........