PDA

View Full Version : What causes the ecu to freak out?

rsmotors
April 23rd, 2011, 02:29 PM
Car is a 2005 Vette E40
So far the only thing I've done is read the file thats currently on the car and try to log the vehicle. No reflashing yet and the ecu started going nuts.
When I tried to log with Scan tool, it wouldn't read the ecu. Then the car shut off and the start button didn't work. I had to set the parking brake, shift in reverse, press accesory mode/off mode button, lock steering wheel and step out, then lock the car with the key fob. Wait a couple of minutes and get back in and start it up and it started right up.
Now the display screen would show all kinds of things to check, fuel level, something about traction, etc etc. Then I noticed non of the gauges work other than RPM.
I have more to this issue if someone needed more info. The last tunner wouldn't comment on whats going on. Some big secret I guess. I'm hoping to find some help here.
Thanks in advance.
Mods, upgrade heads with bigger valves, bigger injectors, intake,headers, cam and ported throttle body.

rsmotors
April 23rd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Let me add that the car came to me with an idle oscillating issue. When left to idle on its own, it would eventually die. When driven on the street and coming to a stop, it would hunt for idle or stall. AFR at idle is so rich that it hurts your eyes when you're around the car. Hooked up my wideband and read 10's and low 11's for AFR. If I can just get past this Ecu going nuts, I can start to make changes on the car.
I've updated on my software/firmware on the V2. Programmed them in using the Efilive explorer.

joecar
April 24th, 2011, 01:42 PM
What year/model/vehicle is it...?

rsmotors
April 24th, 2011, 02:07 PM
It's up top. 2005 Corvette LS2

joecar
April 24th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Ah :doh2:

Maybe the other modules are talking on the serial bus... as a guess, might try pulling fuses for BCM, ABS, On-Star.

rsmotors
April 24th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I was able to log some parameters yesterday while everything appeared normal. As soon as the car moved faster than 5mph, logger stopped and all the gauges had no reading but the rpm. I turned around and parked the car, then it lost the starter button control again. I had to go through the sequence of starting it multiple times before it fired up again. It's really odd.
From what response I'm getting here, this is not a common thing to happen.

Boost
April 24th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I would try a different ECU if you have access. If it's the same thing, then maybe there's some serious tunning issue going on with the previous guy's wiring? Who knows, I hope you get it figured out. If I'm not mistaken the E40 is a bit more sensitive than some of the others (??correct?). I've had one kick my butt a long time ago... :)

4evervette
April 24th, 2011, 11:40 PM
when u get it to work ( scan wise) try to see if there is any DTC code before it goes nut again

rsmotors
April 25th, 2011, 02:30 AM
I haven't looked it up yet but says P1482

rsmotors
April 25th, 2011, 02:33 AM
P1482 = Cooling Fan Speed Output Circuit ECM

rsmotors
April 25th, 2011, 02:34 AM
The car runs fine right now. I almost would guarantee than when I hook up the V2 to it, it will go bananas again. I will look for this circuit fault. Hopefullly it helps.

joecar
April 25th, 2011, 03:21 AM
Pull the fuse from these controllers: ABS, On-Star and maybe BCM.

rsmotors
April 25th, 2011, 04:44 AM
I found 1 out of 3. ABS in the engine bay fuse box. I'm new to this car. I'll find the other two in a bit

rsmotors
April 25th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Engine bay fuse box
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj47/rsmotors/87467e49.jpg

Passenger kick panel fuse box
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj47/rsmotors/1920eb96.jpg

Still can't find bcm and on star

rsmotors
April 25th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Ok. Found on star. I think bcm is called something else. Body control module- under a different name.

rsmotors
April 25th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Reflashed the ECM with a stOck map. I was able to make 3 flashes after that and three runs then started not taking the flash and the no start issue with the button. This is frustrating. If I can just get to tuning I'd be done already.

rsmotors
April 26th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Worked with enough to get it tuned. Still does it. All the gauges goes dead and once I shut it off, it won't restart. I have to leave the car alone for a few minutes then it will restart.
Problem unsolved. But car is tuned.

joecar
April 26th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Makes me think that some module was freaking out and spilling out onto the serial bus.