PDA

View Full Version : DVT acting up - Scan tool not cooperating with diagnosis lately

Boost
April 27th, 2011, 09:13 AM
So it's getting pretty annoying that I haven't figured out how to use the output and other diagnostic controls in the Scan Tool. I really need to get this working. The other day in a '10 Camaro SS I was connected through the E38 and was unable to control idle and was getting error messages in red (no reply / dvt error something like that). Then today, in an '09 Silverado 4.3 I was getting the same error messages attempting to do and idle re-learn or any other diagnostic control in ST for that matter. I was connected correctly, what gives????? Do I have to validate any modules or something? I didn't think so. Thanks!

joecar
April 27th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Which V7 and V8 software builds do you have...?

[ V8 includes firmware ]

Boost
April 27th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I thought of that. I have the one before the latest, plan on upgrading soon. I'll post exactly which version I have in a few hours. Thank you.

Boost
April 28th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Which V7 and V8 software builds do you have...?

[ V8 includes firmware ]

Ok so I have build 139 of V7 S&T, and build 127 of V8. I know a little behind... but is this the cause of my troubles? I will update soon! Do you also need me to hook up the FS to see firmware? I updated that the same time I installed those builds. If I recall, it didn't change. Thank you Joe!

joecar
April 28th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Goto here (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=124) and install V7.5.6.157 and V8.2.1.151.

Then using V8 EE, flash V2 with firmware 2.07.09.

Boost
April 28th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Will do, thanks! Then I'll check again and report my findings.

izaks
May 3rd, 2011, 06:11 AM
It is not release dependant, DVT has not worked reliably for a long time on E38.
Keep on meaning to send a long list of DVT errors to support

Boost
May 3rd, 2011, 07:41 AM
It is not release dependant, DVT has not worked reliably for a long time on E38.
Keep on meaning to send a long list of DVT errors to support

A-ha! I think you are right because I have used DVT fine before on other controllers with way older versions. The E38 is a very important brain, can we maybe do something about this?

Tordne
May 3rd, 2011, 08:15 AM
To my knowledge we are not aware of any outstanding issues related to DVT controls on E67/E38 (or other controllers actually). I have just tried activating DVT on a bench E38 and it acts like I'd expect (given no vehicle). If there are issues please do let us know the specifics.

APS Luis
May 4th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Andrew , re DVT controls - any issues with E39??

Tordne
May 4th, 2011, 01:04 PM
There are no DVT controls implemented at this stage for the E39 or E78 ECMs. I'll put that on "the list" of things to be looked at after the Cummins release is out in the wild.

APS Luis
May 4th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Good news !

I have managed to get the "E38" DVT controls to work on E39 ( told scan tool I was connecting to E38 ) and reset fuel trims......so definitely something there to look forward to:hihi:

Boost
May 16th, 2011, 04:19 AM
To my knowledge we are not aware of any outstanding issues related to DVT controls on E67/E38 (or other controllers actually). I have just tried activating DVT on a bench E38 and it acts like I'd expect (given no vehicle). If there are issues please do let us know the specifics.

Guys I am definitely doing something wrong then. This morning I again failed miserably to get stuff to work on an E38 DVT. On an '09 Suburban I wanted to activate the fuel pump and I couldn't get it to work no matter what I tried. I tried the duty cycle and also any other fuel related settings. Maybe turning on the fuel pump is not an option? But I keep getting errour messages like "unknown DVT error" and "DVT timed out". It seems like it's always the E38s so that's why I'm wondering. But thanks for looking into it.

ScarabEpic22
May 16th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Are you running the latest software and firmware?

Boost
May 17th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I have build 139 of V7 S&T, and build 127 of V8. I will upgrade and check again.

joecar
May 17th, 2011, 02:50 AM
See here: V7.5.6.157 and V8.2.1.151 (V8 includes firmware 2.07.09) (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=124)

Boost
May 17th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Just to be sure, do I need to delete any of my existing versions, or can I just update to the latest builds from them??

joecar
May 17th, 2011, 04:05 AM
It seems to me that you should be able to update without removing the previous versions.

Be sure to flash the new bootblock/firmware into your V2, and to reformat the [Config] space, and re-program the BBX files.

ScarabEpic22
May 17th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Just install the latest versions and update the bootblock (if it needs it) and firmware.

Boost
May 18th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Ok I won't ask any more questions until I actually try to do it and see what happens. I love this community / forum even when I don't have time to check my e-mail I log on here hehe :). Sometimes I'm in the middle of tuning / diagnosing a vehicle right here at the dealer and I just turn around and post on here. So cool