PDA

View Full Version : L92 swap help needed

Lennart
April 30th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I am in the process of swapping an E38 w/ T43 (6L80E) into a 99 Silverado.
Truck is running alright, went out for first test drives.
To be able to use the existing cluster we left the original ECM in the truck and wired
the needed signals into it.
The following issues are remaining:
- MIL circuit - probably due to both ECMs wired to the same MIL lamp
- Charging system - need to wire "generator turn on signal" to old ECM
- OBD connector: wired both ECMs into the same OBD connector. EFILive will however not let me connect to the E38 if signals for the LS1B are present
- VSS - due to the lack of an external VSS sensor on the 6L80E I have not figured out how to get the VSS signal into the LS1B ECM.
Tried to wire the E38 C1, pin 57 into the VSS input but the speedo is not moving.
I there any other way to get this to work? Do I need to change the calibration?
We really want this to work as the VSS signal is also needed for the ABS system...
I hope there is a way other than adding an VSS sensor and reluctor somewhere to the driveshaft.

Currently we always need to disconnect the battery and then start to be able to get the Tranny to shift. If the ignition is cycled the transmission will not shift right...I know this sounds a little odd, but this is what we have observed. There are no DTCs from the transmission.

S10Wildside
April 30th, 2011, 11:24 PM
While having never done what you are working on, I'll speculate a bit.

Since the MIL is most significant for the ECU controlling the engine, I would wire it to the E38. I suppose you could put another bulb somewhere for the LS1 PCM.

I'm not sure what the logic is with the generator turn ON signal, but it probably has something to do with the engine running. The LS1 PCM won't know the engine is running without a 24x crank signal, so you'll have to use the E38 for alternator control.

I think you'll need two OBDII connectors. I'm guessing the E38 will be more standalone and the LS1 PCM will be more specific to the truck and related truck modules.

You may try using a Dakota Digital VSS module for more VSS options. You'll have to use the E38 VSS output to the Dakota Digital module and then use the Dakota Digital module's output(s) to satisfy other truck modules.

Lennart
May 1st, 2011, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the hint.
I looked at what Dakota has to offer, are you referring to the SGI-5 - UNIVERSAL SIGNAL INTERFACE UNIT ?

L31Sleeper
May 1st, 2011, 07:10 AM
Just wondering why keep the LS1 PCM ?? Can't the E38 handle the functions that you were keeping the
old PCM for.

ScarabEpic22
May 1st, 2011, 07:34 AM
I was wondering the same thing, what on the old cluster doesnt work with the E38? If its the tach or speedo, you can adjust those in the E38. Fuel sender can be setup in the E38, temp gauge should be similar? If its the DIC options, that might be a reason but other than that Im not sure why you'd keep it.

Are there BCM compatibility problems the E38 cant address?

Taz
May 1st, 2011, 07:50 AM
I believe S10Wildside is correct. A Gen IV swap into a Gen III truck will require both ECMs (PCM) to retain all of the truck’s original functionally. This will include 2 OBD-II ports and 2 MILs - one for each PCM / ECM.

IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster) info:

The 1999 Silverado IPC receives input in 3 ways - directly from a sensor, directly from the PCM, and via serial data (Class 2) communication.

Inputs with a direct circuit to the IPC include:

oil pressure (gauge)
voltage (gauge)
turn signal indicator (light)
check engine oil press (message centre)

low washer fluid (message centre)
Inputs the PCM sends directly to the IPC (non-serial data) include:

Speedometer
Tachometer

MIL or SES (light)
All other inputs to the IPC are serial data (Class 2) - from the PCM / BCM / EBCM / SDM (ACM).

The E38 does not use serial data communication. It uses GMLAN (CAN type) communication.

Alternator Control

Alternator Control in Gen IV trucks is often controlled by the BCM. In the E38 tune you will need to program the alternator control from “BCM” to “ECM”. I believe HPTuners has this functionality, EFILive does not as of yet. I sincerely hope this functionality is forthcoming in EFILive - it would be of great benefit to Gen IV conversions - similar to a VATS patch.

VSS

If you don’t want to add an aftermarket VSS sensor, you could try obtaining a VSS signal from the ABS sensor on one of the front wheel bearing assemblies. Your 1999 Silverado uses a 3 channel ABS system. Each front wheel has a dedicated ABS sensor. The rear wheel ABS use the VSS signal - originally on the transmission output shaft.

Regards,
Taz

L31Sleeper
May 1st, 2011, 08:16 AM
I'm assuming this project is already underway, but I would have simply changed the crank ring to a 24x.

Lennart
May 1st, 2011, 08:16 AM
Taz,

you are right, there are a number of features sent via Class II data the E38 does not have.
So far we have not hooked up the second BCM (2007 Escalade) but we have prepared the wiring for the alternator control (incl. current sensor)
and we also plan to use it for tap up/down and cruise.
Right now I am unclear about the resistor values for the cruise, there were more important things to do.....
I figured that a speedo conversion box might also work, as we have one left over from a vehicle that does not need it any more.

Lennart
May 1st, 2011, 08:17 AM
Changing to 24x would have been an option, but VVT would be lost as well as the 6L80 !

ScarabEpic22
May 1st, 2011, 09:23 AM
Ah thanks for the sanity check Taz, an E67 would have been perfect for this because it has serial comms still (the reason the GMT360s use an E67 vs E38 so GM didnt have to rewire the entire truck). Keep VVT and 6L80E support too with the proper OS.

Lennart
May 1st, 2013, 11:33 PM
Ah thanks for the sanity check Taz, an E67 would have been perfect for this because it has serial comms still (the reason the GMT360s use an E67 vs E38 so GM didnt have to rewire the entire truck). Keep VVT and 6L80E support too with the proper OS.

-for sure this would be the best approach. I looked at a number of vehicles that used the E67 but did not come across one that has VVT and 6L80E.
Would an OS from lets say an 08 Trailblazer work? Class II is there question is can VVT just be activated?
Also, will an 6L80E run if a T42 is expected?
Only combination of E67 and T43 I am aware of is the 09 CTS-V...question is if that OS will have Class II data and
support VVT?
Any insight on that is welcome.

//Lennart

Lennart
May 3rd, 2014, 07:48 PM
Just want to give a quick update:
E67 is swapped in place of E38
First E67 was one out of an 06 Cobalt SS, did a full flash but got a P2138 (APP voltage mismatch) as well as a U0101 (trans communication)
Second E67 came out of 08 Trailblazer 4.2, same OS as TBSS (12618164) same codes after a full flash.
Had a guy with Tech2 reprogram both E67 to the 07 and 08 TBSS OSs, still got the P2138 code.

After quite a bit of measuring we found that the Accelerator Position Pedal uses a different logic on the E38.
While the voltages on the E67 (Trailblazer) are changing in opposite direction (one value increases, the other reduces) the E38 voltages
both increase as you push the pedal. Also, the resistances between both pedals is quite different.
Ordered a Trailblazer pedal now, hopefully that will fix the problem.

Then we programmed the T43 with a tune from an 08 XLR-V (24243170) and the code U0101 is gone. Looks like the
OSs talk to each other.