PDA

View Full Version : How to replace an LS1 PCM Flash Chip?

S10Wildside
May 1st, 2011, 12:12 AM
I've accidentally bricked two LS1 PCMs that are licensed to my EFILive V1 cable. The first was toast after playing with electronic throttle tables and the second was a result of a bad calibration file.

I sourced (what I think to be) the correct replacement flash chip, replaced the chip on the board, and I cannot communicate with the PCM using either EFILive or Tech2.

Does the chip need initialized somehow?

Or do the problems go beyond the flash chip?

GMPX
May 1st, 2011, 12:26 AM
You can't fit a blank chip to the PCM, it needs to have 'something' put it in. You'll need an EPROM programmer to do this.

doubledip
May 2nd, 2011, 12:17 AM
As Ross said you need to have a calibration on the Flash Chip before fitting it.... otherwise tech2 and other tuning tools dont know how to handle it

you will need a eprom burner like a willem and also a calibration file to burn to it... can get a little tedious at times but is one of the best investments i have bought... that an a decent soldering station because if you lift the chips on a ls1 too many times you will really brick it :)

poconojoe
May 2nd, 2011, 10:19 AM
Email CalEditor@PCMCalibrators He clones PCM's if you blow your licensed PCM, he'll make you a duplicate

GMPX
May 2nd, 2011, 10:39 AM
"Clones PCM's", nice. :angel_innocent:
Anyway, if someone does require a replacement PCM at any stage, EFILive will replace the license as long as they can produce an invoice showing they purchased another PCM.

schwoch1
May 2nd, 2011, 03:27 PM
Anyway, if someone does require a replacement PCM at any stage, EFILive will replace the license as long as they can produce an invoice showing they purchased another PCM.
This I did not know........ Is this a new policy or did I miss something in the past?
Just one more reason I use EFI Live over that other H word!!!!!

Mike

joecar
May 2nd, 2011, 06:11 PM
This I did not know........ Is this a new policy or did I miss something in the past?
Just one more reason I use EFI Live over that other H word!!!!!

MikeThis has been EFILive's policy all the time... ("pay for a license only once").

S10Wildside
May 2nd, 2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks guys. It will be much better for me to stop wasting time on these bad PCMs and move forward with two new licenses. Our V2 has unlimited LS1-B stream, but the V1 cable has been very helpful for working with the two PCMs that are licensed to it. In other words, for those who know EFI Connection (like schwoch1), Bill tends to use the V1 cable in his workshop for his 24x SBC 33 Willys and other prototyping we work on there. Troy is going to be using the V1 cable soon in his workshop for his 24x SBC Honda Civic.

I'm still scratching my head about the flash that killed the second PCM. A customer had provided a TunerCat OBDII calibration file that was of interest for a base tune for an engine on the test stand. I flashed in the TunerCat OBDII file, read it out with EFILive, made a few changes, reflashed the PCM with EFILive, and the PCM was toast. If I recall correctly, the symptom was a chattering fuel pump relay with ignition ON. I killed another PCM (using the LS1-B stream and V2) thinking this was all a fluke. Same symptoms. I did not attempt a third PCM. :)

poconojoe
May 2nd, 2011, 10:13 PM
I'm pretty sure it can be recovered, but you have to lift the mem chip, If you get a Willem programer you should be able to do it yourself once you lift the chip. I know Jessie Bubb does them for other people. I've seen him offer the service from anywhere from NC to $15 plus the ride. When the fuwl pump chatters, its normally hung up in the boot routine

GMPX
May 3rd, 2011, 12:27 AM
I don't think Jesse offers that PCM repair service any more, he's busy with he's CTS-V ventures.
The chattering relay sounds like a symptom of mismatched calibrations for the PCM OS and it's in a rapid reset loop (I recall this happening a long time ago with LS1Edit on the 2001/02 year model changeover with the Holden's when they went from 12208088 to 12225074), but, there is no way EFILive would allow that flash to proceed if that was the case, I suspect something must be wrong with the file if it's taken out two PCM's.

poconojoe
May 3rd, 2011, 03:09 AM
I'd agree its something in the calibration
Jessie has offered this service within the past month on another forum, when the guy locked 2 PCMs and didn't want have to to get 2 more licenses from HPT

GMPX
May 3rd, 2011, 10:01 AM
didn't want have to to get 2 more licenses from HPT
That's probably the only reason he did it then :hihi:

GMPX
May 3rd, 2011, 10:12 AM
I should add, the replacement licenses doesn't cover 'every' scenario because obviously such a service is open to abuse. Example, if you were manually modifying a bin file and then using EFILive to flash it in and it bricked the PCM then you don't get a replacement license. Of course we have had people try to swindle the system and ruin it for everyone, so don't expect a free license because your buddy at the local wrecking yard can cobble up a fake invoice for a PCM.
The intention of the service was to cover licenses on a PCM that was rendered brain dead by a failed flash or a software bug causing a brain dead PCM, thankfully, in the 6 or 7 years we've been doing this there has only been a handful needing a replacement licenses for that reason.

schwoch1
May 3rd, 2011, 11:09 AM
So I don't want to be a pain in the ass, but does bricking a PCM by playing with the ETC tables that you warn everyone about playing with qualify for replacement? I wouldn't think it should, but with some of the BS that has been going on here lately about not being cut and dry with answers, I think that a yes or no would be needed to prevent future problems!!!
Thanks
Mike

slows10
May 4th, 2011, 09:12 AM
A search would probably come up with the answer. Its been covered before. I think they will even though they warn you.

GMPX
May 4th, 2011, 10:05 AM
So I don't want to be a pain in the ass, but does bricking a PCM by playing with the ETC tables that you warn everyone about playing with qualify for replacement?
No it doesn't, hence the warning, for doing major changes to ETC tables you should use a Road Runner, they can't be bricked in this way because there is no flash chip to permanently store what the PCM perceives as a fatal error. I'll respond to your Email as soon as I can Mike.

Cheers,
Ross

S10Wildside
May 4th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I'll respond to your Email as soon as I can Mike.
No worries here.

slows10
May 4th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Site Admin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the truck stops, or fails to start, can you check for trouble codes?

If you modify the throttle response too far from stock it can cause the PCM to think something has failed with the throttle system and it goes into a lock-down mode after a period of time (usually between 1 and 30 minutes after starting the engine). When it does that it cannot be reflashed.
If that is the case a specific trouble code will be set, something in the $6000 range. We can recover the PCM here at EFILive but that would require shipping it to Australia which may cost more than replacing the PCM. If you do need to replace the PCM EFILive will provide a free replacement VIN license for the replacement PCM.

FYI, this is the warning that is displayed with the throttle tables in the EFILive software:

WARNING: Alter ETC calibrations at your own risk.
Modifying ETC calibrations too far from stock values can cause the PCM to log a TAC communications fault code and enter reduced power mode.
Extreme modifications may cause the PCM to become permanently disabled.

Regards
Paul Didnt this guy brick a pcm and efilive said they would replace a license.

Blacky
May 4th, 2011, 03:03 PM
We can recover the PCM here at EFILive but that would require shipping it to Australia which may cost more than replacing the PCM. If you do need to replace the PCM EFILive will provide a free replacement VIN license for the replacement PCM.

Paul Didnt this guy brick a pcm and efilive said they would replace a license.

It was a long time ago, I can't recall. But we do look at each case on its merits and we usually err on the side of the customer. I dislike it when I have a legitimate problem that a manufacturer should address but that they won't because they "think I might be lying".

So EFILive will always try to help a customer rather than leave them high and dry if/when things go wrong. We just have to balance that with the few dishonest people that try to rip us off.

Regards
Paul

joecar
May 5th, 2011, 02:57 AM
bottom line: EFILive treats customers better than fair.

schwoch1
May 5th, 2011, 03:45 AM
bottom line: EFILive treats customers better than fair.
I will agree 110% on that one. After reading some responses of the competitors website over the years from site admin. and owners, I will say hands down, EFI Live is friendlier and much more fair to deal with!!!
Just my $.02!!!

Mike