PDA

View Full Version : new motor with problems

JOHNGEAR
May 1st, 2011, 01:38 AM
well i have completed the new motor but a number of issues have me at a loss. back-round on the motor, 383 small block chevy, holley stealth ram, vortech v-1 with a 2.65 pulley, injectors:Bosch 0280158117 EV14 fuel injectors, rated 47lbs/hr @43.5 psi
Actual flow rate is 52lbs/hr 550cc,13 Ohms 635cc/min, 60 lbs/hr @ 58 psi and the regulator is set at 58psi, linginfelter cam-Valve lift (inches): 0.534 0.547 with 1.6 rocker ratio, 114.0 intake center line 114.0 exhaust center line, twin 58mm BBK throttle body, 76cc open chamber with 15cc dished pistons.

I cannot do a crank relearn because the moment i start it i get a mill. tune is way off because i must keep the TP open a bit or it will die. will not allow me to set the advance because the BID idle rpm will not work.

L31Sleeper
May 1st, 2011, 08:02 AM
I've followed this build on the PPE forum. I made some changes to hopefully get it to run better.
The main thing that I noticed was B0104 Cylinder Volume was still set to a 350. You do have a
2 bar MAP sensor right ? I increased Desired idle speeds by 10 % In my experience it's easier to
tune the idle down once you have it running.

-Justin
Justin@EFIMuscle.com
323-317-7432

JOHNGEAR
May 1st, 2011, 04:15 PM
L31Sleeper, thanks for your input. I tried your modified tune but sad news, it would die right after the cranking completed. Also my duel F.A.S.T. wideband tells me that it was way too lean-21:1. had to go back to the first tune. I just got in from a 5 hour drive(499 km) with the truck. Did it without any problems but it still would die if I came across an area where the TP would be at 0 so I must keep it at 2.4-3.1%. Any other suggestions?

L31Sleeper
May 1st, 2011, 07:04 PM
WOW......I really don't understand, the fact that your old tune still had the 350 CI data should have caused it to run very lean ?? What are your AFRs with that tune ?

This one had better show some improvement, if not there has simply got to be
something we are not seeing ?

JOHNGEAR
May 2nd, 2011, 04:47 PM
well no luck with that attempt. this is the log i got during start up. AFR was just a little richer than commanded. maybe the IAC steps or position is incorrect.
log 12 is with your tune
log 13 is with the fort tune
maybe you can see something in log 13 (really gunned it for a bit)

JOHNGEAR
May 2nd, 2011, 05:01 PM
just noticed, when it switches to o2 feedback, the commanded AFR defaults to stoich 14.68 that makes sence because after a little warm-up, all of a sudden it acts weird and tries to die and must add more throttle .maybe something there?

L31Sleeper
May 4th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I was reading over my EFI University, EFI Live class study material
Here is what I found :

Basically, an engine should be able to idle with little help from the IAC motor and the IAC should
be used to help stabilize the engine as it decelerates rapidly and keep it from stalling.
A good rule of thumb is, The engine's ignition timing, fuel values and throttle stop settings should
be adjusted so that the engine will operate under normal conditions with the IAC disabled.

I used to have a Edelbrock throttle body that had a "idle bleed screw" I never needed it but if I
had a bigger cam it could be opened up to let some air in. I've seen some WILD LS1 guys that
drill a small hole in the throttle blade?

JOHNGEAR
May 5th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Well let me share with you a start and idle log of your next offer.(log 0000)
log 0001 & log 0002 are again from the fort tune.
Even if I set the desired idle speeds to a high number, it is like there is not a feed from the ecm to maintain any commanded idle speed, you may see that in the log.
I guess I should have said that setting the advance has not been completed yet or a crank relearn because every time I try I get a red FAILED ATTEMPT, PLEASE TRY AGAIN.
Before, I could set the rpm to 2000 and watch the cmerpt to adjust the distributor but now I cannot. Maybe I should start there before I move to the other issues. A crank relearn too should be included but again, a failed attempt is all I get. :throw:
What am I missing here?

L31Sleeper
May 5th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Do you have the 4 shift selector wires connected to the PCM ??

JOHNGEAR
May 7th, 2011, 08:26 AM
yes, just checked them- C1=32 signal A
C1=34 signal P
C1=72 signal B
C2=62 signal C

JOHNGEAR
May 7th, 2011, 09:14 AM
well all is good with the crank relearn. it worked and i do not get the p1345. at least not yet. i thought that i would get a different screen pop up to inform me it is ok to start relearn but i did not so when i followed this procedure-Default

First warm up engine to operating temp...

then with vehicle parked and engine running at idle:
- connect scantool (click green connect button),
- goto DVT tab,
- select controller,
- click Activate,
- goto Learning subtab,
- click CASE (see next line),
- open throttle to increase RPM above 4000 within 10 seconds (see next line),
- when you hear/feel stumble/misfire immediately release throttle,
- let engine spindown to idle,
- after reaching idle, turn off engine and wait 15 seconds,
- while waiting 15 seconds, you can click Deactivate.

You may possibly have to have brake applied during this.

it worked- brought up the rpm and as it passed 4000, it was like the truck shut off for a second so i released the throttle and it returned to idle but was too low and shut down, then turned off the truck, hit deactivate, and waited 15 or more then cleared codes, ran truck for a while(idle seemed to change) , no mill appeared, checked codes, p1345 was not there. i assume it worked. do you agree?

JOHNGEAR
May 7th, 2011, 09:19 AM
now when i tried to set the advance, the dvt was set to 2000rpm and nothing happened, hit record and it said failed, try again.
what could be the problem there?

JOHNGEAR
May 8th, 2011, 05:35 AM
this tune seems to be a very good start.

L31Sleeper
May 9th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Um......I'm going to gracefully step back, because all the wrong data seems to be making
it run better.....normally that means that something mechanical needs to change ??

JOHNGEAR
May 9th, 2011, 03:00 PM
what i did have to do was adjust the throttle stop to open the blades a bit because new from the box, i just cleaned it up and bolted it on. it must have needed adjustment and when i did that, the rpm was constant not requiring the tune to compensate.

L31Sleeper
May 9th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Cool, I was starting to feel crazy ?

JOHNGEAR
May 10th, 2011, 10:22 AM
sorry i did not inform you of that recent adjustment. i just did it when i used vortec 383-000 tune because i noticed that it was trying to maintain the rpm set point by adding and removing fuel as it would over & under shoot the desired set point. after air was allowed in, i noticed it was very lean with the 350 cubes. when i used the new 770 as you first mentioned, it ran good(played in the commanded afr zone).i then played with other settings as you can see. i must set up a auto ve now would you agree? thank you very much for your interest and direction. i am using 001 tune right now(maybe too much timing and fuel) but the logs are tune000 at highway runs. log 5 was just to watch it cool down after log 4. will try some logs with tune 001 but will change some fuel settings. let me know what you think of the logs.