PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

hawaiianstyle
May 10th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Ok, I've searched the whole all of the forums and got some answers.

I'm going to use boot camp, cause it's free and windows 7, because it can work. But which windows 7 should I run? Home Premium, Home Professional, or Home Ultimate. I can get Home Premium for 99.00. So I'm hoping the cheaper is ok.:confused:

joecar
May 10th, 2011, 04:53 PM
See this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1899

According to that, Win 7 Home Premium is good.

Make the Windows partition BIG... if you don't you will regret it.

hawaiianstyle
May 10th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the link and info. Yes, it will be big, I think I may just take the default of 32G. Because I'll be installing the 64-bit version. Since I heard that only the 64 bit version recognizes all the RAM that I have, 4G.

joecar
May 10th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the link and info. Yes, it will be big, I think I may just take the default of 32G. Because I'll be installing the 64-bit version. Since I heard that only the 64 bit version recognizes all the RAM that I have, 4G.32GB for Win7 and all your Win apps is way too small.

I previously set mine to Mac 140GB, Win 60GB and I regretted it (I had to eventually delete the Win partition and start again... but OSX 10.6 would not let Boot Camp create the new Win partition, I had to revert to OSX 10.5 and the older Boot Camp, luckily I had those on backup).

How big is your HDD...?

How much HDD space is being used by Mac OSX and all your Mac apps/data...?

How much HDD space is used by Win7 and all your Win apps/data...?

I set mine as follows: Mac 65GB, Win 135GB.

ScarabEpic22
May 10th, 2011, 07:59 PM
32 vs 64 bit, if you run more than 3GB of RAM use 64 bit. Back when Vista came out and everyone was saying stick with 32 bit was because drivers for old hardware werent 64 bit compatible. Not so much the issue today, the only non-64 bit OSs I run are on old old hardware.

Im with Joe, my new laptop with all the the HP drivers, windows updates, office, chrome, VLC, and of course EFILive is about 70GB itself. And I just got this thing 2 weeks ago...

hawaiianstyle
May 11th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I plan on only installing windows 7 home premium and efilive. So you guys think 32G is not enough.

ScarabEpic22
May 11th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Just the OS and EFILive? Id go with 50GB minimum, even for that so you have a little wiggle room.

hawaiianstyle
May 11th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Mahalo for all the advice and freat info, what about anti virus program on the windows side? Is it really needed?

ScarabEpic22
May 11th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Oh yea, Id use AVG Free Edition, use it on my PCs. Also look at AdAware Free, great free-antimalware. The last time I got a virus running this combo was when I TRIED to intentionally download one. As soon as it fully downloaded, both AVG and AdAware quarantined it and asked me what to do.

joecar
May 11th, 2011, 06:24 PM
+1 AVG Free.