PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get the PID's for either Calc or Auto VE table

ippielb
May 11th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Title says it, i have been on this computer for the past 3 hours trying to get the Calc.VE tutorial a go. And i do not have the PID's. I've edited the txt file with the supplied text and i still do not have them. I'm at the point where i just want to put the programmer back in the box. All the tutorials i can find are very basic. They don't go into detail for the things yall experienced folk think is just basic knowledge. The first time is always the hardest right? If someone could take me step by step ONE time to get the Calc.VE or the Auto.VE pid down. That would be greatly appreciated, i'm sure after i get shown it once, that would be enough.

Basically what i'm asking, is for someone to take 20 minutes and show me from start to finish how to do either the Auto, or the Calc(preferable the Calc). I've never done either before, so i'm starting from a blank slate.

Thanks, sorry for venting. I have to head to work, but will be back in 10 hours.

joecar
May 11th, 2011, 06:48 AM
You can simply copy the calc_pids.txt file from the Calc VET tutotial thread to overwrite your existing calc_pids.txt file.

Then open the scantool, goto PIDs tab, click on the column heading Parameter (to sort on that column), locate and select the pids.

Do you have a wideband...? Which one...?

joecar
May 11th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Are you looking at this thread: A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table).

joecar
May 11th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Read the scantool and tunetool user manual pdf's will help, so start with those...

it all seems difficult and overwhelming at first, but it gets better.

WeathermanShawn
May 11th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Hi there.

Sorry you are so frustrated. Tutorials are always going to be limited in that it is nearly impossible to write everything one may encounter. A lot of times, the Validating of Pids, pasting, etc., are actually covered in other Tutorials. But so far we have literally helped dozens of people through the first pains of learning.

Step 1:
When following written instructions it is imperative you follow it exactly. Most people get into difficulties when they Edit an existing calc_pids.txt. 100% of the time it is better to simply 'overwrite' the calc_pids.txt file into their computer.

Step 2:
Validate the Pids. A lot of times you can not successfully validate a Pid unless you have the Scan Tool hooked up to the vehicle (key-on). You can punch away on your Scan Tool for hours until you learn that step. Even though the method has been reported to be relatively easy once you get it set-up, there are a total of six (6) calculated Pids used in this formula. Thats how it works. It took hundreds of hours of R&D and computer coding to make a very complicated formula 'easy'. They are 'sequential' Pids. That means sometimes the Calculated Pids show up 'unsupported' until you Enable the next sequential Pid. Right-clicking on your computer mouse directly on the Pid will usually tell you what other Pid needs to be enabled.

Step 3.
A lot of people do not even know that EFILive has produced many Tutorials online that actually show you how to cut and paste. A fellow member TAZ suggests downloading all the Tutorials, put them in a binder, read them, and study them. Thats a great idea.

Step 4
Logging. Sometimes mechanical conditions prohibit good Tuning. Don't get mad or frustrated at EFILive at this point. You have to take a deep breath and work your way through it. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Summary:
If you read through this thread:http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table. you will find Joecar and myself (and Taz) have painstakingly helped many many people. Some have taken pages to teach how to enter a calc_pids.txt file into the computer. In some cases Joecar has edited their calc_pids.txt file online to help them.

Here is my policy. As long as someone is trying and does not lash out at me, I will help them online for months.

So try those steps and just calmly try the techniques. Remember Tuning should be fun!:grin:.

WeathermanShawn
May 11th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Hello Rich,

To develop your tuning knowledge base at no cost, other than time …..

print out all of the manuals and tutorials included with the EFILive software, organize them in a binder (it will be about 6 inches thick) - and read them all at least once
these documents are usually downloaded to C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Doc - there should be 2 manuals and about 12 tutorials
review the interactive tutorials on the EFILive home page
read all posts on this Forum relevant to the PCM / ECM / TCM you want to tune
post questions on this Forum

Books and manuals would be the next avenue of least expense to broaden your knowledge base. Some days I think I singlehandedly keep Helm Inc. in business.

DVDs and attending classes are the next progressions from a cost perspective.

Regards,
Taz

I thought this was great advice!

mr.prick
May 11th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Joe or Shawn,
Why not add links to the tutorial with pre-formatted calc_pids.txt and Calc.VE.pids files? ;)

joecar
May 11th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Joe or Shawn,
Why not add links to the tutorial with pre-formatted calc_pids.txt and Calc.VE.pids files? ;)Mike,

Shawn has already attached the calc_pids.txt file to the Calc VET tutorial.

WeathermanShawn
May 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM
The CALC.VET Tutorial (PDF Version) has been updated..http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....tire-VE-Table. (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table.)

1. Pid Image/Text match page 1 of the CALC.VET Thread
2. Link to CALC.VET Thread repaired
3. Closed-Loop portion Updated
4. Draft Copy designation removed.

joecar
May 11th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks for updating. :cheers:

macca33
May 11th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I thought I'd tack onto the end of this thread, as I believe my question is relevant to set-up for AutoVE.

I read Joecar's COS5 guide and note that he states, 'In OL, any B3647 cells that are stoich will enable STFT trimming (semi-open loop mode), this is undesirable during any BEN correction of VE or MAF.'

To me, this is indicating that when setting up to do an AutoVE using a COS, you CANNOT have any of the cells in B3647 set to 14.63 / 1.0 EQR / 1.0 Lambda in your autoVE tune. Is this the case?

I have read the AutoVe tutorial front to back and it does not state this anywhere within that document - indeed, the guide specifies the required B3647 table values (Pg.7.).

Am I confused, or should my AutoVE tune B3647 table be set differently to that which is specified in the AutoVE tutorial???

I realise it is a basic question, but it is one that has perplexed me for a while now.

cheers

joecar
May 11th, 2011, 04:46 PM
macca,

Yes, stoich cells in B3647 will perform STFT trimming to stoich... so wideband reports same EQR as commanded, regardless of VE.

I don't know why the AutoVE tutorial does not mention this, thanks for pointing this out.

SOL is mentioned on page 17 of the Custom OS tutorial.

Yes, correct, if you're correcting VE or MAF in OL, do not set any cells in B3647 to stoich... use EQR 1.01 or 0.99 instead.

macca33
May 11th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks very much for the clarification mate - I thought I was going a bit balmy. I'll have to re-do my autoVE after I adjust all of the 1.0EQR cells to 0.99EQR, but at least I now know that I'll be able to get it 100% correct - not just 99%.

Cheers and thanks!

joecar
May 11th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Macca, no worries. :cheers:

Here's SOL STFT trimming in action:

ippielb
May 11th, 2011, 06:24 PM
You can simply copy the calc_pids.txt file from the Calc VET tutotial thread to overwrite your existing calc_pids.txt file.

Then open the scantool, goto PIDs tab, click on the column heading Parameter (to sort on that column), locate and select the pids.

Do you have a wideband...? Which one...?
I have taken the calc_pids.txt file and directly copied it and overwritten my old one. That's what confuses me, i have exactly what is suppose to, and yet i don't have what i am suppose to...

I have two widebands, but not installed yet, i have Two LC-1 by Innavate.

Are you looking at this thread: A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table).
I was using the tutorials in my scan tool, but found that one. And got confused between the two, but with both, i am missing a few pid's.

Read the scantool and tunetool user manual pdf's will help, so start with those...

it all seems difficult and overwhelming at first, but it gets better.
Thank you, i have been reading them, and have been trying my best to try and not ask questions as it makes me look like i shouldn't have wasted my money on the program, which sometimes i wonder...

Hi there.

Sorry you are so frustrated. Tutorials are always going to be limited in that it is nearly impossible to write everything one may encounter. A lot of times, the Validating of Pids, pasting, etc., are actually covered in other Tutorials. But so far we have literally helped dozens of people through the first pains of learning.

Step 1:
When following written instructions it is imperative you follow it exactly. Most people get into difficulties when they Edit an existing calc_pids.txt. 100% of the time it is better to simply 'overwrite' the calc_pids.txt file into their computer.

Step 2:
Validate the Pids. A lot of times you can not successfully validate a Pid unless you have the Scan Tool hooked up to the vehicle (key-on). You can punch away on your Scan Tool for hours until you learn that step. Even though the method has been reported to be relatively easy once you get it set-up, there are a total of six (6) calculated Pids used in this formula. Thats how it works. It took hundreds of hours of R&D and computer coding to make a very complicated formula 'easy'. They are 'sequential' Pids. That means sometimes the Calculated Pids show up 'unsupported' until you Enable the next sequential Pid. Right-clicking on your computer mouse directly on the Pid will usually tell you what other Pid needs to be enabled.

Step 3.
A lot of people do not even know that EFILive has produced many Tutorials online that actually show you how to cut and paste. A fellow member TAZ suggests downloading all the Tutorials, put them in a binder, read them, and study them. Thats a great idea.

Step 4
Logging. Sometimes mechanical conditions prohibit good Tuning. Don't get mad or frustrated at EFILive at this point. You have to take a deep breath and work your way through it. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Summary:
If you read through this thread:http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table. you will find Joecar and myself (and Taz) have painstakingly helped many many people. Some have taken pages to teach how to enter a calc_pids.txt file into the computer. In some cases Joecar has edited their calc_pids.txt file online to help them.

Here is my policy. As long as someone is trying and does not lash out at me, I will help them online for months.

So try those steps and just calmly try the techniques. Remember Tuning should be fun!:grin:.

Yeah, it's extremely frustrating, I completely understand you cannot put every single little thing into the tutorials, and it's probably a good thing, not everyone struggles with it like myself.

I have taken the supplied txt file and overwritten my file on my computer, and still with no luck locating and being able to use some pid's.

I did not know that you may need to hook up the hardware to be able to use the scan tool to it's full potential with the PID's. That may be a good thing to add onto the tutorial. I agree, first time is the hardest, but it is seeming like this is being a little more resistant then anything else i've attempted.

I watched that interactive tutorial about cutting and pasting, and i understand how to do that step now, but that is after i get all of the PID's.

I have not gotten into any kind of tuning yet. So the tuning isn't what is frustrating me, I spent $1,000 on this program, and have had it for a year, but still have not been able to do any kind of tuning except transmission and basic, ON, OFF, and enable disable options. I'm anxious to start, an have gotten impatient.

As long as someone is attempting to help me i will never cut back at them.

Thanks for all of the help, i will try and start from scratch this one last time. If it doesn't work out, then it's going back in the box for another couple months.

joecar
May 11th, 2011, 06:31 PM

I have taken the supplied txt file and overwritten my file on my computer, and still with no luck locating and being able to use some pid's.

...Have you done this:

...When you click on that column heading, the pid table is sorted alphabetically on that column.

Post a screenshot of your PIDs tab.

ippielb
May 11th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I plugged it into my truck and found all the PID's. I just went down the list typing in their names, some didn't show up until i enabled others.

Edit:
Tried out the log i had. And this is what it looks like. Somethings wrong...

WeathermanShawn
May 11th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Have you done this?

NOTE: for map Data, use the CALC.VET pid units that match your B0101 table, i.e. either % or g*K/kPa.

To display units on a map: go to map properties, on each of the Data, Row, Col tabs, checkmark Show Units.

Also here:http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....l=1#post144346 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table.&p=144346&viewfull=1#post144346)

joecar
May 12th, 2011, 02:15 AM
ippielb,

do you have EFILive FlashScan V1 or V2...?

ippielb
May 12th, 2011, 06:13 AM
I have Flashscan V2, tried again to get everything to work from scratch and nothing... In the map it all comes up as zero's now, but i didn't change and PID's... Tonight's gonna be my last time trying to get this to work before it goes back in the box.

WeathermanShawn
May 12th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Post up your log file. I can probably figure it out.

You have the Pids right. Your just struggling with a couple of items on your MAPS.

ippielb
May 12th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Shoot, already on my way to work, I knee I was forgetting to post something. I will post it tonight, ten or eleven hours. I don't want to put it back away but it's stressing me out that nothing works when everything says that it should.

WeathermanShawn
May 12th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Maybe you are just going to fast..or letting your frustration short-circuit the process..:confused:. Just looking exactly at the Tutorial..here is what happened..

4. Create CALC.SELBEN {B5001} Map

6. Select "BEN selected from WB or LTFT (factor)" from the Parameter drop down list box.
You inaccurately selected LTFTBEN..

10. Type the following label into the Col labels text field: ,Value Note the leading comma – it must be included.
You forgot the comma in front of Value

3. Create CALC.VET MAP

6. Select "Calculated VE, BEN corrected" from the Parameter drop down list box. Select the Calculated VE, BEN corrected that has the same units as your B0101 table (i.e. either “%” or “g*K/kPa”). Select the [Column] tab page and check the “Selected” and “Names” check boxes.
You forgot to select the parameter.

Like I said I will assist as long as someone tries. If you keep threatening to quit, I am not interested in helping. Don't skip any step of the Tutorial.

Try again when you get home, or let me know if you don't want to proceed..

Thanks.

joecar
May 12th, 2011, 07:04 AM
If you have a V2, then you should be using serial comms to obtain AFR/Lambda/EQR from your two LC-1 widebands (they can be daisy chained, and V2 can read both).

You will need a null moden serial cable.

Have you tuned using a wideband at all before...?

If not, then there is some reading to do before you edit your calibration... (is there a particular reason why you're in a rush to tune...? )

There are some things that have to be checked and/or understood before proceeding... (e.g. your map showed [g*K/kPa] but your B0101 showed [%]).

Have no fear (but do use common sense), we'll point you to the right material.

ippielb
May 13th, 2011, 05:20 AM
WeathermanShawn,

I have corrected everything you pointed out, thank you! Got me different results. I have one question, why is it that when the table is set to %'s everything goes to zero, while when it's in kPa it shows different values? The only thing that i changed between the two was the VET% or VETkPa.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/halfsoldier/VETkPa.jpghttp://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/halfsoldier/VETpercent.jpghttp://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/halfsoldier/selben.jpg

MAF looked good, so i pasted with lables and multiplied, and it went a little haywire in higher flow rates, realized it said 2+ starting at 8875 in my map. Any idea's what went wrong there? The lower ranges look acceptable though.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/halfsoldier/MAF.jpg

joecar,

I have yet to install my sensors yet into my truck, i work afternoons, and i have a friend that is an electrician so i was going to get him help me with installing the sensors, but i work during afternoons and nights. I have not installed or tuned with wide band ever before. I have been reading it seems every thread on the forum, and through all of the tutorials, I liked the idea of having all of the tutorials and help files printed off and put into a binder. I am going to be doing that, thank you. And i am kind of in a rush to tune, i just want to get my fueling a little better, right now with the price of gas, it is $1.36 a liter. I would like to get rid of the black puffs of smoke i shoot out, and the excessive fumes. I'm sure that fuel can be burnt not just dumped out the tailpipe.

I'm sorry for being impatient, I just realize the potential of the program now, and i'm anxious to get into it. I am excited for getting results even if they were wrong. At least the maps are showing data now!

WeathermanShawn
May 13th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Page 1 of the CALC.VET Thread:http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table.

A. Set Displacement: open a Log File, go Edit->Log File Information->Vehicle Options, and next to Engine enter the displacement in cc, click Ok, and save the log file. This matters only if you're planning to use [%] units for VE.

The PCM actually reads VE Values using the default units (g*K/kPa).

You have two choices. If you want to view your VE Table in %, then you must do step A. If you are comfortable with the default units, then go into your Tunetool>>Edit>>Properties>>Volumetric Efficiency Values>>Default Units.

Your Tunetool and MAP units must match..

Also, on the MAP Properties..you need to increase the Precision number to at least two (2)..I.E. that gives you more digits.

Also, on your SELBEN MAP..don't forget the comma in front of Value.

Study the attached Map Properties Attachments very closely!

WeathermanShawn
May 13th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Wow..

Whatever you do do not paste that MAF Table in!

If you are just doing closed-loop you must utilize the closed-loop filter.

CALC.VET is set-up for Tuners who have a wideband. There is a 'trick' that allows just closed-loop tuning..read the last page of the Tutorial that includes closed-loop instructions.

Without a wideband you can not really tune the higher MAF frequencies. At best when you successfully log and get enough data, you can estimate the higher portions of your MAF curve.

ippielb
May 13th, 2011, 06:00 AM
WeathermanShawn,

I didn't realize that i didn't save the cc's of my engine into the log. I like the idea of looking at the default numbers. I added the two digits onto the kPa. Thanks. And on my SELBN map, i do have the comma on it. Thanks for double checking.

I wasn't planning on putting a tune on my truck today as i have to go into work in a couple minutes, i was just seeing what would happen when i put it on. I am just doing closed loop right now, and will be doing it on my dad's truck, once i get COMPLETELY comfortable, and can do it easily.

What would make my map's spike? On both my VE Map ad my MAF map there is a HUGE spike.

WeathermanShawn
May 13th, 2011, 06:22 AM
When you are utilizing CALC.VET, you need a wideband.

To utilize just closed-loop requires you to go back to the original CALC.VE Method:http://download.efilive.com/Tutorials/PDF/Calc.VE Tuning Tutorial.pdf (http://download.efilive.com/Tutorials/PDF/Calc.VE%20Tuning%20Tutorial.pdf)

OR

You must follow the instructions exactly as found in the CALC.VET Tutorial as it applies to Closed-Loop Tuning.

Did you apply the CALC.VET Closed-Loop filter to your data?

joecar
May 13th, 2011, 08:29 AM
ippielb,

With no wideband, you could filter out (exclude) any data where PE is 1.

joecar
May 13th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Also, to make your MAF map narrower, go into Map Properties, goto the Cell tab, set the cell width.

ippielb
May 15th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I'm going to try and get the hang of the http://download.efilive.com/Tutorials/PDF/Calc.VE%20Tuning%20Tutorial.pdf, but i've ran into a few things, I'm missing the CALC.LTFT - LTFT Average, and CALC.VE_Table - Calculated Volumetric Efficiency PID's.
Here's my 10843 , if i wanted to add more PID's, i need to edit the calc txt file, the tutorial has a supplied text that i can copy and paste into the calc txt file. Can i just add them to my list without messing anything else up? I tried to just copy and paste it into the text file but i get an error about the displacement part of the code.

Error code: ERR_CONFIG/92

C:\Users\Brendon\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration\calc_pids.txt(82): Units /(displacement()*{SAE.RPM}*{SAE.MAP.kPa})*{CALC.LTF TBEN}" not found. .

I added the displacement between the brackets, tried removing the word displacement and putting 5.3, and it still gives me the errors.

ScarabEpic22
May 15th, 2011, 08:00 AM
You have to add those Calc PIDs, either manually type them in from the tutorial or use the file from the Calc.VE thread. Read the Calc.VE tutorial, it has EVERYTHING you need. Id never used it before, read it once, created the PIDs without an issue, and got the 5.3L Suburban I was tuning dialed in really quickly.

Taz
May 15th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I know WeathermanShawn and Joecar have been assisting you in getting started ... sometimes too many people helping can get confusing ...

Just to be clear ... the above tutorial is the CALC.VE - is that what you want, or were you trying the use the newer CALC.VET method ?

Displacement is entered in cc (cubic centimeters) your 5.3 L displaces approximately 5328 cc.

Regards,
Taz

ippielb
May 15th, 2011, 08:07 AM
ScarabEpic22,

Thanks, i added everything in by hand and it seemed to work this time.

Taz,

I agree, they are both giving me amazing amounts of patients and support, but i've been bouncing around between the two tutorials, it got me a little mixed up. I am trying to use the CALC.VE, not the new one. The link up there is the one i'm using. And thanks, the tutorial said in liters, but i added the cc, and it worked this time.

Thanks for all your help everyone i appreciate it. If i do get the hang of everything i will try my best to pass on the support.

Edit:
The maps have come together nicely this time, i am at the data logging part right now.

joecar
May 15th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Your should try the Calc.VET tutorial instead: A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table).

Your calc_pids.txt file is the one from the Calc.VET tutorial.

The Calc.VET tutorial is an extension of the Calc.VE tutorial (with wideband added for PE/OL).

If you don't yet have the wideband installed, you can filter out OL/PE data (i.e. exclude PE = 1)... this is the easiest way to do it, and then when you install your wideband you can simply edit the filter.

Without a wideband, you will be tuning (i.e. correcting MAF and calculating VE) for CL/PT only, and you will have to make an educated guestimate for the WOT/PE portion of MAF and VE (based on trend in CL/PT portion).

joecar
May 15th, 2011, 09:09 AM
WOT= Wide Open Throttle
PE = Power Enrichment
OL = Open Loop

CL = CLosed Loop
PT = Part Throttle

ScarabEpic22
May 15th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Glad to hear it, I messed up my formula the first time I manually entered it too, saw VE values of like 400% and knew it wasnt right!

ippielb
May 15th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I did everything now on that new CALC.VET tutorial, how i attempted to filter out the wideband is {CALC.PE.factor} is equal to 1.00 factor Did i filter this correctly? Without the wideband installed it will read a continuous value correct? I'm assuming by you saying PE = 1, the value is one, and that in theory would filter the open loop out.

I am fine only tuning the closed loop right now. It'll all come in time.

I am going to try and do another log.

ippielb
May 15th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Here's what i got with my log,

My CALC.VET Map
CALC.VET Graphic

MAF SELBEN Map
MAF SELBEN Graphic

Everything looks decent, nothing is extremely out of wack, i would just like an opinion before i put this tune on my truck to test it.

WeathermanShawn
May 15th, 2011, 12:45 PM
It generally looks good..

I don't want to overload your brain, but at some point you should read the CALC.VET Summary notes that we just started.

It gives some tips on how to 'blend' your MAF and VE Table. As you learn more about Tuning, the importance of that concept will become important:http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?16280-CALC-VET-Summary-Notes

ippielb
May 15th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I actually looked at it and that looks extremely helpful. I will try and practice doing these maps, and then get my wbo2 in my truck and do my open loop

WeathermanShawn
May 15th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks..

Its all 'preliminary' work. You hardly ever find great material published on blending those tables.

You might try at some point to add more digits to some of your Maps. Remember that is under the Tab "Precision". Try increasing that number to get more decimal places..:)

ippielb
May 15th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks, forgot about the digits, made the MAF SELBEN map look a lot better instead of just a constant 1.1

And to me, your preliminary work, is great. I got my VE table all done, changed the cells i couldn't hit to flow with the ones i could. Smoothed it all very nicely.

WeathermanShawn
May 15th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Cool, a lot better than 3 days ago. I thought we were going to lose you..:).

You've come a long way. Hang in there..see Tuning can be fun once you get past the Pids & Maps..

ippielb
May 15th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I was just having problems figuring out the calc.txt file, it gets a little confusing with all the text and lines where to put things, but after looking at other people's files that they uploaded i finally understood what had to be done adding and typing it all in myself.

Now that i have this done, where should i go to now? My idle?

WeathermanShawn
May 15th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Idle is always a good one. I warn people its a 8-hour job. Luckily this forum has a number of experts on Idle Tuning..just depends on your set-up.

Spark is also a good one. That is also a specialized topic. Avoiding KR, but maximizing power and fuel economy. Most people try to get to a Dyno for that one..

Let us know when you get that wideband on. Then you can start doing some WOT Tuning..

joecar
May 15th, 2011, 03:39 PM
That looks good... in the VE table, suppress the big spike (manually blend it in)... look at Shawn's Summary Notes.

Also, in all the maps, show units for all 3 axis's (Data, Row, Col)... e.g. your SELBEN MAF map doesn't show units for Data... showing units lets you sanity check. :cheers:

johnmaster
May 31st, 2011, 09:05 AM
It's really nice to see you helping get guys straightened out for nothing other than the satisfaction of helping others. I have been reading through some of your posts and am excited to dive into this project I'm starting but I'm still hung up on some areas and wondering if you wouldn't mind helping me too? I tried to send a PM but I can't find that feature on this board so I'm not sure it exists. Can we trade email addresses?

I have everything installed on my pc, I scanned the vehicle, sucked the stock tune out of the pcm and saved it, logged a few minutes of driving, and played it back. So far so good. Now I am getting ready to start messing around with this thing and I am kind of lost as to where to start. Most of my questions revolve around MAP/MAF/TPS/IAT/IAC/O2 sensors and how to choose and configure them, then how to get the tune roughed in before I take it to the dyno.

My contact info is at the bottom of the page of my website www.johnmaster.net

WeathermanShawn
May 31st, 2011, 09:49 AM
Hi John..Welcome to the forum.

I prefer online forum questions..its a little easier on my 'workload' and then others can also learn from the responses.

Most of the material I have on this forum is Beginners/slightly Advanced. I always advise newer learners to read, read, read. Sometimes I am surprised when people do not even read all of EFILive's Scan & Tune guides along with all the other material.

Feel free as you begin tuning to ask questions, but also do as much of your 'homework' as possible.:)

joecar
May 31st, 2011, 11:24 AM
Hi John,

The forum requires you to make at least 10 posts before PM is enabled (after that, you may also have to go to your settings and enable it).

Very important: read the scantool and tunetool user manuals before proceeding with tuning; capture logs and play with the features as you read... there are various features that you need to be aware of when performing the various tutorials.

The scantool/tunetool user manual pdf's are included in the V7 software install, from your desktop go Start->All Programs->EFILive->V7.5->Documents.

johnmaster
May 31st, 2011, 01:00 PM
Ahh, that makes sense. Keeps the bots from spamming users probably.

Sounds good, I have had my head buried in tuning threads for the last month or so, been reading everything I can get my hands on. I have absorbed quite a bit of it but the problem comes about that to learn you have to do and to do you have to learn so thats where I get stuck:) I'll start a few new threads in this forum and be grateful for any help that comes my way. Even "hey dummy, search this phrase" or "read this thread" is appreciated as sometimes knowing what to search for can be a problem.

joecar
May 31st, 2011, 01:52 PM
John,

Yes, the idea is to curb spammers.

A good thing to do then is to perform the Calc.VET tutorial (be sure to read the summary notes in linked too in the Calc.VET thread)...

if you don't have a wideband then you can only do the closed loop portion of it;

the Calc.VET tutorial will have you playing with maps, read up on maps in the scantool user manual.

What year/model/vehicle do you have...?

Do you have a wideband...?

Do you have FlashScan V1 or V2...?

johnmaster
May 31st, 2011, 02:09 PM
I just created a post with all my burning questions in this forum, It's a 99 1500 2wd 5.3L. It's bone stock right now, I have a new AEM sitting on the shelf to use, I have V2 and have been fooling around with it but am looking for the next thing to fool around with and learn now before I dive in and start creating a tune for the turbo project. That Calc.Vet might just be the thing to start with. Truck is bone stock, stock tune, should I recalculate the VE table anyway? I have a cold air intake that will be used on the turbo project but maybe I should play with installing that and tuning for it N/a to get my feet wet?