PDA

View Full Version : Swapping PCM's, License Q

FeetDry
May 19th, 2011, 09:51 AM
When I swap PCM's, does the EFIlive license follow? That is, if I have used a license on the original PCM, can I the same one on the new (swapped) PCM? (Or will I need to get another license for the new PCM?)

The old PCM will get tossed,... Do I loose the license as well?

The PCM controls the engine and trans. Will I need to use 2 licenses to do a full FLASH?

Thanks

macca_779
May 19th, 2011, 12:16 PM
The licence is linked to the serial number of the PCM itself. Not the car. If you use a new PCM you will have to licence it too.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

joecar
May 19th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Which year/model/vehicle...?

+1 what macca said.

Why are you tossing away the old PCM, what is wrong with it...?

PCM controls engine and trans, but has only one serial number, so you need only one license.

Each license allows one PCM or one ECM/TCM pair.

FeetDry
May 19th, 2011, 10:53 PM
2000 Chev S-10
Has a black box 494 VCM. I'm swapping in a 411 PCM.
1. As far as I can tell, the black box is nothing but a boat anchor, (when compared to the 411). 2. Being a new-be, I havn't been able to tune the 494. The forum answers Q's about the 411.
3. As long as the 411 swap will allow me to pass emissions, the 494 is just junk taking up shelf space.

ScarabEpic22
May 20th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Then yes you will need a new PCM license, swapping PCMs means you use another license. This is why for those guys who are thinking about doing a COS or a blower install Id say dont bother to license the Black Box PCM and just license the 0411.

ChipsByAl
May 20th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Save the old Black Box, someone you know with one might want their vehicle programmed. All you would have to do is a VIN and software change, without costing you a license again.
Al