PDA

View Full Version : Scanning non supported ecu's

Tre-Cool
May 19th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Guys, just a random question. seeing as most new car's these days are all obdi1 or 2 compatible is there any reason or limitation as to why we cant use the efilive scanner to log these other vehicles?

I.e is there any specific reason why we can't use the logging software as a generic scanner? (instead of some other sub-standard free diagonist/logging tools)

Obviously i understand you dont want to invest time into supporting all sorts of cars, but it would be good if we could use the very basic obdi communication data sets.

I imagine that this is what all the SAE Pids are for?

macca_779
May 19th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Support for just that is in the pipework I recall.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

GMPX
May 22nd, 2011, 10:26 AM
Part of the problem comes down to the V7 scanner being written as GM specific from day one, so whilst we have expanded that over the years it still may not work with every OBD-II car.

Tre-Cool
May 22nd, 2011, 02:38 PM
so as macca mentioned, will the v8 scanner be more generic compatible?

ippielb
May 22nd, 2011, 06:09 PM
http://media.techeblog.com/images/cdfunny.jpg

Just thought this would be a nice little laugh, but scanning the codes on non supported vehicles makes sense to me, but i don't know if ford uses the came codes for their vehicles. So it would basically be like the pictures above, or like apples and oranges.

joecar
May 22nd, 2011, 06:21 PM
Even tho the different car makers use OBD-II as the software protocol, they used their own hardware protocol (GM used J1850 VPW, Ford used J1850 PWM) until they both started using CAN in 2005, but even with CAN they have differences.

GMPX
May 22nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
so as macca mentioned, will the v8 scanner be more generic compatible?
Of course, but that is not to say you will be able to log enhanced PID's for BMW's etc, but the simple generic stuff should be ok. However, this would only be on vehicles who's communication bus is supported by our hardware (FORD PWM is not one of them).

Just thought this would be a nice little laugh, but scanning the codes on non supported vehicles makes sense to me, but i don't know if ford uses the came codes for their vehicles.
Surprisingly the DTC's numbers/descriptions between manufacturers is quite close.
Eg P0500
Cummins = P0500 "No Vehicle Speed Sensor Signal"
GM = P0500 "Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Circuit"

However: P1011
Cummins = P1011 "Fuel Pump Delivery Pressure Too Low"
GM = P1011 "Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator Park Position Bank 1"

I would imagine this sort of situation only gets worse as you branch in to European and Japanese makes.

Cheers,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
May 22nd, 2011, 08:08 PM
So if you can read DTCs from an unsupported controller, make sure you use the manufacture specific description and not the one EFILive reports (as it is for GM or Cummins only).

GMPX
May 23rd, 2011, 10:13 AM
A quick search on Google will usually get you the manufacturer specific description for most DTC.
Actually, I noticed something funny on our TechII the other day, reading DTC's on an E39 ECM on the bench (where about 20 DTC's get set), some where showing as 'unknown' for the description, isn't that a worry when the 'official' scantool does not even show the DTC description.