PDA

View Full Version : Help with VE Tuning

Ram Air IV
May 20th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I would like som help with tuning my engine. So, I running a LQ9 in my Firebird -68. The engine is stock inside but the intake is replaced with a LS1 and I running long tube headers with deleted cats. If I compare my adjusted tune with the original it is not comparable. Is it normal the tune can be that different when transplant to a different car? I still need to adjust the VE table since the LTFT´s are -10%.
I do not have EGR, should I disable the B1301 ?
Is there anything I have missed.
I have tryed to hit as many cells as possible when running the Calc VE tuning. I have attached the original LQ9 tune, the log from the Calc VE tuning and my hand adjusted tune (this has not been down loaded to my car yet). Some addvise please :confused:
Magnus

WeathermanShawn
May 20th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Magnus, I'll look it over this evening (U.S. Time).

Conceptually, you seem on track..but, what calc_pids.txt file are you using?

At first glance I don't see all the VET data. Some of the Pids look like they are missing.

Have you read this yet?http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?16280-CALC-VET-Summary-Notes

Are you using this method?http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table.

WeathermanShawn
May 20th, 2011, 11:44 AM
If I compare my adjusted tune with the original it is not comparable.
How was your original Tune constructed?

Is it normal the tune can be that different when transplant to a different car?
Depends on the method of Tuning, your O2 Sensors, MAF, etc. You may be comparing two different things..

I still need to adjust the VE table since the LTFT´s are -10%.
I don't understand this. Your LTFT average is almost perfect..:confused:

I do not have EGR, should I disable the B1301 ?
Yes!

Is there anything I have missed.
Yes. (see note).
Magnus

..Well it appears you are still using the 'old' CALC.VE method. Nothing wrong with that, but you can't do PE Mode/WOT with that method.

Since you have a wideband, take a look at this: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table.

There is a Tutorial that is pretty much up to date. Just follow all the instructions exactly! If you get stuck, post up.

Good luck..

Ram Air IV
May 20th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Hi Shawn,

I used the "old" Calc.VE" method, I have attached the calc_Pids.txt(backup) that I used.
I looked into the new Calc VET-method instruction and there is something I do not understand.
I have selected the pids that are needed but I missing information about the Maps (F11) that are needed. As I understand I need two maps, one called SELBEN (MAF freq) and the second VET. How do I set-up this map? The same way as for the VE map used with the old method? What parameter should I use, the "Calc VE, not corrected"

Do I need to insert the displacement in the "calc_pids.txt" used for Calc VET-method?

Regards / Magnus

WeathermanShawn
May 20th, 2011, 11:50 PM
As I understand I need two maps, one called SELBEN (MAF freq) and the second VET. How do I set-up this map?
Magnus, it really is ALL in the Tutorial. Every step is laid out..Please check it out: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15236-A-New-Twist-on-CALC.-VE-Table..Computing-the-Entire-VE-Table.

Also, almost every question you have asked is also in this thread: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?16321-Cannot-get-the-PID-s-for-either-Calc-or-Auto-VE-table

The same way as for the VE map used with the old method? What parameter should I use, the "Calc VE, not corrected"
Essentially the same way. You use "Calculated VE, BEN Corrected" (also stated in Tutorial).

Do I need to insert the displacement in the "calc_pids.txt" used for Calc VET-method?
No. This way: (Its in the Tutorial).

A. Set Displacement: open a Log File, go Edit->Log File Information->Vehicle Options, and next to Engine enter the displacement in cc, click Ok, and save the log file. This matters only if you're planning to use [%] units for VE.

Magnus, you just have to use the Tutorial. If you read it along with Page 1 of the CALC.VET Thread, and that other thread I linked you to..every answer is there.

Good luck..

Ram Air IV
May 21st, 2011, 07:13 PM
Thank you Shawn, I used a printout of the Calc.Vet tuning guide instead of the new VET tutorial. Now I understand what to do.
Regards / Magnus

Ram Air IV
May 26th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Ok, now I have made a run and collected data. It was not that easy to drive correct. When I applied the filter (loose type) there was several cells that become empty. I have hand smooth and computer smooth the new B0101. The B5001 I have hand smooth. There is a huge different between the the original LQ9 calibration and my new calibration. The intake is from a LS1, not the best from a performance point off view. I am running without cats but with tuned long tube headers. Should I now down load the new file and make a new run to se if my LTFT´s is better?
Addvise please / Magnus

WeathermanShawn
May 26th, 2011, 08:59 AM
It looks perfect to me.

You can't do much to anything to improve it. Consider yourself tuned..:).

Ram Air IV
May 26th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Nice !
How about B1301, the EGR. should I make it disable or keep it enable. :confused:

WeathermanShawn
May 26th, 2011, 06:56 PM
If you do not have EGR, then DISABLE B1301. Otherwise you will have a Spark Correction as indicated in Table B5907.

Ram Air IV
May 27th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Ok, thank you Shawn.
I have a last question. In the VET tutorial, under "additional Considerations" it is suggested that B0120, B3308, B3313 and B4105 should be changed. After the calibration should I return to the figures that I hade before? Regards Magnus

WeathermanShawn
May 27th, 2011, 04:08 AM
B0120: Change back to 4000 Rpm
B3308: Change back to Stock Value
B3313: Change back to Stock Value

B4105: Users Discretion. Personally I leave those all at 450 Mv with no ill effect. However if you feel more comfortable keeping the stock values change back to stock. It has little effect (except Idle)..