PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here. Need some help on 09 5.3 / 6L80e and e38

DarkKnightWong
May 21st, 2011, 07:24 AM
Hi everyone.

New guy here.. I've been reading and reading and finally got the courage to do my first post for help. Not sure if this is the correct place to post my question..

I'm currently in the planning and gathering stages of my 09 5.3L 6L80e swap into a 1940 Oldsmobile street rod.

I have a 5.3L LY5 motor out of a 09 Silverado and a 6L80e 2WD out of a silverado too. It has the engine harness complete.. Looks like it has the connectors for a 4L60e too..
E38 ecu
Ls2 intake/fuel/injectors/throttle body.

I'm planning to put a mild cam in it, when I remove the VVT and AFM.

What should be my first step for the ECU ? Do I flash it with a Program that can run the LS2 intake and 6l80e and if so what would you recommend as a good base program and tune to just get the car running and driving.

I plan to buy some running software like EFILive so I can learn how to do all this flashing and tunning myself...

Thanks in Advance for the help

Allen

Taz
May 21st, 2011, 09:31 AM
Hello Allen,

Sounds like a great project. Are the engine, transmission, wiring harness, and E38 ECM all from the same 2009 truck ?

Regards,
Taz

DarkKnightWong
May 21st, 2011, 11:42 AM
Hi Taz

Unfortunately they are from different trucks.
The 5.3 and engine harness is from one 09 Truck that had a 4L60e 2wd behind it
The 6L80e is from a different 2wd truck ... I guess 09 too
The e38 is a 09 ecu based on the part number on it( I looked it up on one of the stickies here), no clue what car or what it has on it..

It was suppose to be a complete swap out of a 09 Silverado.. :-(

The Ls2 intake and stuff is from a GTO Ls2 I think an 06...

Whatcha think ? Am I in for a world of hurt ?? :-)

Taz
May 21st, 2011, 12:54 PM
My comfort zone is the Gen III - still learning something new about the Gen IV all the time. The ECM / TCM pairing makes Gen IV swaps more complicated - and certain functions that were previously PCM controlled (like cruise control) were moved to BCM control. Everything is certainly "doable" it may just make take a little time, and few more aftermarket components than Gen III swaps. The 5.3 L / A6 (6L80) combination should make the '40 Olds an outstanding driver when you are finished.

Take a look at the thread linked below ...

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14440-First-tune-record-help-a-newbie

The thread is a little lengthy, but there is a lot of good information ... the Forum member was essentially doing the opposite of what you are - he had an L92 (which was A6 compatible) and was putting an A4 (4L70) behind it - a combination that was never offered by GM. The VATS information is directly applicable to your swap. He used an LS3 intake and injectors - but the type of tuning changes discussed in the thread will be similar to those necessary for your LS2 components.

You will need to confirm what vehicle (including the VIN if possible) your A6 came from - either from sourcing a "paper trail" or by reading the TCM itself via EFILive or other applicable software. The good news is that starting in 2009 the A6 was offered with the 5.3 L - so finding an ECM tune compatible with the TCM tune should be straight forward.

The E38 you have will probably need to have an appropriate "base tune" programmed with a Tech 2 or J2534 compliant device - prior to modification with any tuning software.

Not sure if your 5.3 L / A4 wiring harness can be modified to work with the A6 - have never done this. Hopefully a Forum member with more Gen IV experience will be able to answer that question.

Regards,
Taz

slows10
May 21st, 2011, 01:35 PM
You posted the same question in the hptuners forums, telling all the guys you are purchsing hp tuners. Not one person replied. Here you post you are buying efilive. Here you get a couple of great replies from one of the real knowledgeable guys on here. Even tho I dont care for these type of posts, Ill say I think you know what tuner to buy.

joecar
May 21st, 2011, 01:56 PM

Whatcha think ? Am I in for a world of hurt ?? :-)Not necessarily hurt... more like a learning curve (lot's of reading), but I'm sure you'll be able to master it.

DarkKnightWong
May 21st, 2011, 04:42 PM
You posted the same question in the hptuners forums, telling all the guys you are purchsing hp tuners. Not one person replied. Here you post you are buying efilive. Here you get a couple of great replies from one of the real knowledgeable guys on here. Even tho I dont care for these type of posts, Ill say I think you know what tuner to buy.

I've been going back and forth with which product to buy... You are right, this community seems to be pretty awesome based on what I've been reading and searching. Looks like a lot of great people with tons of knowledge..

DarkKnightWong
May 21st, 2011, 04:48 PM
My comfort zone is the Gen III - still learning something new about the Gen IV all the time. The ECM / TCM pairing makes Gen IV swaps more complicated - and certain functions that were previously PCM controlled (like cruise control) were moved to BCM control. Everything is certainly "doable" it may just make take a little time, and few more aftermarket components than Gen III swaps. The 5.3 L / A6 (6L80) combination should make the '40 Olds an outstanding driver when you are finished.

Take a look at the thread linked below ...

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14440-First-tune-record-help-a-newbie

The thread is a little lengthy, but there is a lot of good information ... the Forum member was essentially doing the opposite of what you are - he had an L92 (which was A6 compatible) and was putting an A4 (4L70) behind it - a combination that was never offered by GM. The VATS information is directly applicable to your swap. He used an LS3 intake and injectors - but the type of tuning changes discussed in the thread will be similar to those necessary for your LS2 components.

You will need to confirm what vehicle (including the VIN if possible) your A6 came from - either from sourcing a "paper trail" or by reading the TCM itself via EFILive or other applicable software. The good news is that starting in 2009 the A6 was offered with the 5.3 L - so finding an ECM tune compatible with the TCM tune should be straight forward.

The E38 you have will probably need to have an appropriate "base tune" programmed with a Tech 2 or J2534 compliant device - prior to modification with any tuning software.

Not sure if your 5.3 L / A4 wiring harness can be modified to work with the A6 - have never done this. Hopefully a Forum member with more Gen IV experience will be able to answer that question.

Regards,
Taz

Thank You Taz! I will read through that post..

Should I just take the E38 and 6L80E to the dealer and ask him to flash a stock 5.3/6L80e Silverado program into them?

I'm hopping to beagle to modify the stock harness my self.. I've been looking up different wiring diagrams... I need to research more about what pins are needed/not needed..
I've been reading a lot on lt1swap, they seem to have some good info..

Thanks again for the advice and kind words..

DarkKnightWong
May 22nd, 2011, 07:50 AM

I'm still doing a lot of research and learning before I buy the software..
The community here is great! Lots of good people with great knowledge.

GMPX
May 22nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
It does seems to cause a lot of grief when a hybrid of parts are stuck together. At least it appears all yours are from 2009 model vehicles. If you use the LS2 intake, throttle body etc then you will have to get the ECM flashed with GM's TIS system because these ECM's contain a secondary CPU that manages the throttle control, only GM's TIS reprograms that part of the ECM. If it's not done then you will have a dead pedal if the ECM currently has a 5.3L tune in it.
So your best bet is to find a factory combination that used the LS2 and a 2WD 6L80E and have the dealer program the ECM and TCM to suit (did they even have the LS2 in 2009 still?) You are stuck with 2009 models because a 2009 E38 cannot be reflashed with earlier or later programs, they must be 2009 models.
Of course the 'base' tune for the LS2 is not going to match the 5.3L, but that doesn't really matter as you are planning on doing a cam swap anyway, so it's going be need a full retune.

Because it's all going in to an old car it's not critical what the tune is based on, eg, you aren't swapping between a Corvette and a Silverado where things like the instrument cluster, HVAC etc can be specific to that year model program in the ECM.

There was mention of you buying HPTuners, you won't see this posted on their forum, but as a potential customer you should be aware the licensing they have is quite restritive, if the VIN pair between the ECM, TCM and what they deem as a 2009 model does not match you won't be able to program the computers.

DarkKnightWong
May 23rd, 2011, 08:32 AM
Hi GMPX

Thanks for the reply and information.

From what I have found out reading online.. A Corvette Flash would probably be a good place to start...
However .. I think the LS2 stop showing up in Corvette in 07 or 08 .. Since my E38 is an 09.. What Ive been reading online ( A sticky on here ) .. I can not flash it with anything other than an 09 Flash right ?

The 09 Corvetter went to a LS3, which uses a different intake/TB/heads/Pedals .. so I wont be able to use it :-(

Should I try to find an older E38 ? Maybe an 07 or 08 that will take the Corvette Flash ?

Honestly .. Im not even going to consider HPTuners.
From what I have read online and on these forums .. EFI Live is a great package. I like that you can also log and flash with out having to lug around a PC.
I still trying to figure out if I have the knowledge to do all this tunning my self or find someone local with EFI Live that can do the tunning for me.

I would love to beable to tinker with all of this myself .. I think that is part of the fun with these cars...

Does EFI Live allow me to flash the 6L80E with a different OS too ? Im guess I would need to flash it with a Corvette flash too ??

Thanks Again for all the help!!

Taz
May 23rd, 2011, 09:29 AM
Hello Allen,

Again, I'm the Gen III guy - from my understanding of the Gen IV - the most straight forward solution would be to use a truck TB (throttle body) - that's what the gentleman in the thread I linked in post #4 above did. He used an LS3 intake, MAP, injectors, and an L92 TB. You can use pretty much any MAF you want.

Changing an OS in the Gen IV platform requires a Tech 2 or J2534 compliant device - EFILive or HPTuners does not flash all the programming contained within the ECM / TCM.

So for you, a 2009 Silverado / Sierra / Avalanche / Tahoe / Yukon 5.3 L 6L80 4 x 2 "base tune' would be a good starting point for the ECM / TCM combination. You need to confirm what tune is already in the TCM - if its compatible you would then only require the ECM "base tune" flashed into your E38.

Regards,
Taz

DarkKnightWong
May 23rd, 2011, 01:23 PM
I went by my local Chevy dealer and talked to a service guy.
He said it would be no problem flashing my ecu to whatever I wanted.

The TCM, he was not completely sure if and what all it would take to flash it.

Hi Taz.. I thought about using the truck throttle body also.. However I don't think the truck pedal will work for me.. I think it's too large... That's why I was going with the corvette pedal.. It's pretty small and compact and other streetrodders have recommended it.

Even though I'm using a LS2 intake, I think I can bolt on a LS3 throttle body from an 09 Corvette. This would allow me to run the 09 Corvette OS.. From what I've read the LS3 is suppose to be a better throttle body anyways.

In theory ... Throttle Body, ECU OS, Pedal will all come from a 09 Corvette.. Which does support the 6L80e ... :-)

Any reason why this combination wouldn't work??

Thanks again!
Allen

Taz
May 23rd, 2011, 01:48 PM
Going to need input from a Forum member who does Gen IV swaps. With the Gen III - the PCM / TAC / TB have to be mutually compatible - but nearly any APP (throttle pedal) may be used. Gen IVs don't use a TAC module - its functions were incorporated into the ECM. So that leaves the ECM / TB / and APP. The ECM (tune) and TB must be compatible. The question is - with a Gen IV, can any APP be used ?

If any APP may be used - it would put the more cost effective truck parts, and a 5.3 L compatible truck tune, back on the table.

Regards,
Taz

ScarabEpic22
May 23rd, 2011, 07:57 PM
I think the answer is no, the APP must match the ECM/TB in order for everything to work in harmony. If anyone who has tried this can chime in, it would be really helpful! If it is the case and you can use a Vette APP with a truck OS then using the 09 Silvy OS would be easy.

If you run a Vette LS3 TB, APP, then an 09 Vette ECM and TCM matched pair OSs sounds like a good place to start IMO. If you have all these parts from an 09 Vette (E38 just has to be an 09, dealer can flash the proper 09 OS into it), then it should be doable. I want to say easy, but little things do pop up from time to time!

Dont worry too much about the displacement of the 5.3 being smaller than the Vette LS3, thats easy to change.

doubledip
May 24th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Pedal has to match the OS in the ECU and match the throttle body... the pedals run 2 seperate pots inside. some have app1 from 0-5v while app2 is 0-2.5v while others run both app1 and app2 0-5v , have even seen some run app1 0-5v and app2 5-0v

was testing a Hummer the other day running a trailblazer OS, LS2 engine and hummer I5 pedal - the APP1 went 0-5v and APP2 went 0-2.5v. the pedal would work for 5 or 6 goes then throw a 2138 code.... all cause the voltages were slightly off... swapped it to a CTS-V OS to test and all was OK :)

DarkKnightWong
May 24th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Sounds like if I stick with all 09 Corvette TB, ECU OS, Pedal I should be ok...

Have people had good experience flashing a 6L80e out of a 2WD truck with the corvette flash?
That part is still very fuzzy to me... I have not been able to find a lot of info on how flashing the tcm inside these transmission go... Do I even need to flash it?? If it's an 09 6L80e... Can the Corvette OS on the E38 talk to it...

Taz
May 24th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Doubledip would probably know for certain. Logically, as long as the Slave OS in the ECM (E38) was the same in the original truck ECM the A6 was from, and the Corvette ECM you plan to use - it may work.

Don't know for sure ... never done one.

Regards,
Taz

Mr. P.
May 24th, 2011, 06:44 AM
...If you run a Vette LS3 TB, APP, then an 09 Vette ECM and TCM matched pair OSs sounds like a good place to start IMO... Dont worry too much about the displacement of the 5.3 being smaller than the Vette LS3, thats easy to change.
Exactly what I would suggest - you are in essence building a LS3 drivetrain package that just happens to be a little smaller displacement; use all controls (ECM, TB, APP, TMAP sensor) from an LS3. Then use a Tech2 to "marry" the ECM & TCM as if it all was all pulled from the same donor vehicle. After that, THEN start using EFILive. But before that point, I personally would put the motor & tranny side-by-side on the shop floor and hook-up all the harnesses & sensors & controls & ECM & BCM, put 12v battery to it all and make sure that it works outside of the vehicle first, and that it can be reprogrammed with the Tech2; once you know everything is working then all you have to do is physically get it transplanted into your vehicle. My 2-cents.

Mr. P.

doubledip
May 24th, 2011, 10:12 AM

Have people had good experience flashing a 6L80e out of a 2WD truck with the corvette flash?
That part is still very fuzzy to me... I have not been able to find a lot of info on how flashing the tcm inside these transmission go... Do I even need to flash it?? If it's an 09 6L80e... Can the Corvette OS on the E38 talk to it...

I have been told that all TCM's are interchangeable upto but not including MY10.. so the 'Flash' from TIS/Tech2 will go into them. My personal experience has been with TCM's from MY07-MY08 that i knew of (although i have flashed a few TCM's that were physically out of the box so am unsure of what year they were). As long as you TIS in the same VIN OS to the ECU and TCM and the pedal and TB match up with that same car it will all be good

gmh308
May 25th, 2011, 12:55 AM

If its an 09 TCM/trans, then the 09 E38 will say hello nicely. It really depends what OS number is already in the TCM as to how you go forward from there. There are several different 09 TCM OS's.

gmh308
May 25th, 2011, 12:57 AM
There was mention of you buying HPTuners, you won't see this posted on their forum, but as a potential customer you should be aware the licensing they have is quite restritive, if the VIN pair between the ECM, TCM and what they deem as a 2009 model does not match you won't be able to program the computers.

And incomprehensible...

DarkKnightWong
May 25th, 2011, 02:03 AM
You guys on here are awesome!!

After reading all these post. The light bulb in my head went off!! I feel a lot better now :-)

Thanks y'all!!

DarkKnightWong
May 25th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Ive been reading a few conflicting post around the net..

Can Tech2 flash an 07 or 08 OS onto my 09 E38 ? Ive read that if someone uses EFILive to flash .. it wont work completely .. But if you take it to a dealer and they do a complete flash using Tech2 it will take an E38 OS and put it on it..

Looks like I only have an LS2 Throttle Body not an LS3 Throttle Body ...
Im going to have to find an LS3 Throttle body or get an older E38 ecm .. if the above statement is true .. that the OS Year has to match the E38 Year ...

Should I take both the E38 and 6L80E to the dealer and ask them to read both ECU and TCU to find out what is on them ??

I know the Motor is front one 09 Truck, and the ECU is from another 09 Truck and the 6L80E is from a different 09 truck .. So the VIN wont match at all ...

Also .. Do I need to find a Corvette VIN to be able to flash everything with or do I just use one of the Truck VIN and flash the Corvette OS with it ?

Thanks Again for all the help

Allen

doubledip
May 25th, 2011, 02:22 PM
If the E38 is a 12625455 serv # then you can not stick a 07/08 OS in there.. do that and you will have an expensive paper weight. If you have all MY09 parts, I would get a MY09 Corvette tune flashed in by a dealer with a Tech 2 and go from there... The Tech 2 flashes in the pedal tables that efilive and hp's dont. This is why you need tech2 to do it.. then just use a corvette pedal from a MY09 and all will be fine.

Also when doing these conversions if the LS2 throttle body ha a silver blade they work fine with a 07/08 ECU and OS and a brass blade works fine with MY09 onwards ECU's and OS's.

I know a few out there have the later blade ECU with the early blades and are working fine but havent seen anyone do a early ecu with a brass blade

maybe post back up the service number of the parts you have (ECU, Trans, Pedal) and someone will be able to help

gmh308
May 25th, 2011, 02:27 PM
What DD said :) ^^^

Throttle bodies are the same from the first LS2's, through LS3, LS7, all cars, up to MY09 where GM changed to the brass coloured TB.

ScarabEpic22
May 25th, 2011, 02:30 PM
For EFILive, the actual VIN that is programmed is only referenced when loading scan tool PIDs, has nothing to do with how the computers are licensed. Deal with programming the correct VIN after you've had them flashed by the Tech II with the OS you're going to use.

Doesnt matter whats on the computers, you know the service # off the ECM (which is what counts) and you know its an 09.

Since you have an LS2 tb (if its the silver blade like doubledip said), an 09 E38, and an 09 6L60E T43 I would have the dealer use the 09 Corvette OS. Sounds like everything is pointing this conversion that way, to use a truck or older Vette OS would require some new parts.

gmh308
May 28th, 2011, 05:59 PM
You guys on here are awesome!!

After reading all these post. The light bulb in my head went off!! I feel a lot better now :-)

Thanks y'all!!

And the "bing" was? :)

Highlander
September 2nd, 2011, 06:03 PM
I've used brass throttle bodies with early ECUs, including ls1s... But for the E38s, ross needs to add a few parameters... AT LEAST one to make it work...

DarkKnightWong
February 28th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Hi Everyone!

Its been a long time since I posted ..

Finally got my 40 Olds project moving along again ..

Im ready to flash my E38 and T43 in my 6L80..
What would be the best way to get the initial 09 Corvette OS on both of them ? I dont have a Corvette VIN ..
I talked to a dealer and he said he could probably get the 09 Corvette OS on the E38 if I had a Corvette VIN .. But he said he didnt think he could flash my 6L80E.

The 6L80E is out of a 09 Silverado 2WD ...

The car is still in the build stage, but I want to make sure I have all the ECM/TCM issue setup so I dont have any delays..

Thanks in advance for any info!

Taz
February 28th, 2012, 11:26 AM
EFILive V8 will Full Flash the T43 - so that you can do yourself. Where are you at with throttle body ? Which one will you be using ? The remainder of answers depend on this component.

Regards,
Taz

DarkKnightWong
February 28th, 2012, 01:56 PM
EFILive V8 will Full Flash the T43 - so that you can do yourself. Where are you at with throttle body ? Which one will you be using ? The remainder of answers depend on this component.

Regards,
Taz

Hi Taz!

I have a 09 Throttle Body now also. I will be running the 09 Corvette Gas Pedal also.

So everything is based off of 09 components.

Taz
February 28th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Hello Allen,

OK .. there are 2009 Corvette T43 and E38 calibrations available for download from the TuneFileDepot site. You can Full Flash the 2009 truck 6L80 (T43) transmission with the 2009 Corvette T43 calibration using EFILive V8. You would need to take the E38 to someone with a Tech 2 to get it programmed with a 2009 Corvette LS3 6L80 calibration. They will need an appropriate Corvette VIN to download the calibration from TIS/SPS - to then load in your E38.

I have done a few of these since you started this thread last year - by no stretch of the imagination am I any kind of expert on this - still learning myself.

If you plan on using the truck wiring harness - these can be adapted for a Corvette based ECM / TCM. Again, I've done a few of these since last year. You will need schematics for at least a 2009 Corvette - better if you also have schematics for the donor truck - or a ton of patience and a voltmeter with an audible continuity.

Just some highlights ... the truck probably won't have a wire / pin for Tach output, and the TCM connector won't be wired for Tap Shifting. Getting the pins to release from the T43 connector can be frustrating the first time you try.

The Delphi MAP sensors and Bosch MAP sensors use different connectors - your truck harness is probably wired for a Delphi - your LS3 intake may have a Bosch.

Hence the necessity of good schematics ...

Also, if you need an appropriate Corvette VIN send me a PM.

Regards,
Taz

DarkKnightWong
February 29th, 2012, 02:53 AM
That awesome that you have gotten a few under your belt :-)

Might also be a curse too .. With me buggin ya for help :-) hahah

I have the 09 Truck Harness, but I think it is setup for a 4L60 in stead of the 6L80.
The 6L80 still has the plugs in it .. Whoever remove the tranny just cut the wires from that harness...

Ive also thought about trying to get a 09 Corvette Engine Harness and Tranny Harness.
I figure that would be a good starting point to get it all working.

I will shoot you a PM!

Taz
February 29th, 2012, 03:24 AM
... I have the 09 Truck Harness, but I think it is setup for a 4L60 in stead of the 6L80.
The 6L80 still has the plugs in it .. Whoever remove the tranny just cut the wires from that harness ...

I see this all too frequently - 4L60 / 4L80 transmission connector plugs cut off by auto recycling yards. The connector is locked in place via its oval shape - to release it you simply squeeze it (causing it to become circular) and then remove. It would take longer to cut the wires, than to release it correctly without causing any damage.

... Ive also thought about trying to get a 09 Corvette Engine Harness and Tranny Harness.
I figure that would be a good starting point to get it all working ...

Remember that the transmission in a Corvette is in the rear - like a Porsche. This wiring harness is LONG (and expensive). If your butchered truck harness was included with the engine (essentially free), and you have the time and inclination, you can adapt it to work. Connectors and terminals are readily available from Mouser or EFI Connection.

Another option is a new truck harness from a place like GM Parts Direct - some of these may be found for under $200 - but would also require modification.

Regards,
Taz

DarkKnightWong
February 29th, 2012, 03:59 AM
What do you think about using the 2010 Camaro L99 / 6L80E harness ?
The part number is 92238350 -- It around 220 from GM Parts Direct I think.

I figure it will have all the correct connectors and a good length too :-)

I figure it probably uses the same Corvette pedal - 25835421 ?

Thanks
Allen

Taz
February 29th, 2012, 05:27 AM
That is a cost effective wiring harness - as it is currently in production. The Camaro doesn't use the same APP as the Corvette, however the connector is pinned the same.

Again, just some highlights ... with that harness you would need to add pins / wiring to the ECM for Tach output and VSS output. You would a need to add pins / wiring to the TCM connector for Tap Shifting and Brake Light input.

That harness has the Bosch MAP connector, and the CMP connector is the 5 pin VVT type.

The length and general layout should be what you need - but it will still require a fair amount of modification.

After working with greasy, weathered, and sometimes brittle used harnesses - it is a nice change to work with one fresh out of the GM box.

Regards,
Taz

DarkKnightWong
February 29th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I will get this harness ordered so I can start understanding and modifying it.

I looked around on the web and found http://www.lt1swap.com/2010camaro.htm has a good diagram and picture of the Camaro harness.

Do you have all of the Schematics for the 09 Harness etc of what All I would need to modify and change?

Taz
February 29th, 2012, 08:12 AM
... Do you have all of the Schematics for the 09 Harness etc of what All I would need to modify and change? ...

For every wiring harness I do - I will create a document containing the ECM / TCM pinouts (description & where they connect), along with original wire size, colour, and circuit load (amps). This document will include schematics for the engine, transmission, charging, starting, cruise, A/C, IPC (gauges), DLC and communications, electric fans, as well as powertrain control and starter relays.

These documents (a mini-manual really) are usually 35 to 40 pages - and no small task to create, source, and verify - and form part of the intellectual property of my business.

I will always attempt to help by answering questions, pointing people in the right direction, and also cautioning on potential issues. I recommend using the original GM manuals available from Helm Inc. - in either hard copy or DVD format.

Regards,
Taz

DarkKnightWong
February 29th, 2012, 08:15 AM
For every wiring harness I do - I will create a document containing the ECM / TCM pinouts (description & where they connect), along with original wire size, colour, and circuit load (amps). This document will include schematics for the engine, transmission, charging, starting, cruise, A/C, IPC (gauges), DLC and communications, electric fans, as well as powertrain control and starter relays.

These documents (a mini-manual really) are usually 35 to 40 pages - and no small task to create, source, and verify - and form part of the intellectual property of my business.

I will always attempt to help by answering questions, pointing people in the right direction, and also cautioning on potential issues. I recommend using the original GM manuals available from Helm Inc. - in either hard copy or DVD format.

Regards,
Taz

I completely understand!

You been more than helpful already !!

Thank You again !

TurboCamaro
September 20th, 2017, 02:51 PM
I had a customer bring a E67 controller in with a T42 transmission controller out of different vehicles. It appears the harness is done correctly except I am uncertain of the CAN wiring and associated resisters being required or not.
I was able to pull the cal from the E67 controller however could not access the trans controller. My original thought was that if I could pull the cals I could see what they are and then full flash appropriate cals in.
Is this idea feasible or is the inability to read the trans controller due to the 2 controllers not being paired and need to get them flashed with a Tech II. The end result is a 08 Colorado (or other similar chassis) 2.9L 4 Cyl with a 4L60 that will be turbo charged in a 39 sedan.
Thanks

ScarabEpic22
September 26th, 2017, 11:50 AM
The T42 will take (almost) whatever OS you want, just make sure the OS is compatible with the ECM OS. The ECM OS needs to match the base OS that exists already in the ECM, if you mix n match incompatible OS' you will brick the ECM.