PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading transmission, new license?

Longslyde
May 23rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
Hello guys!

I have a 2010 GMC Sierra 6.2L 4x4, 6L80E. I can already tell that the whipple supercharger @ 10PSI is not going to make tranny last. My question is I do not want to pull the tranny to rebuild due to downtime, I will probably get the Pterodactyl 6l80e from PATC and replace. They say the new tcm will need to be programmed of course so,... Can I use the complete flash from my previous transmission to program the new TCM with my current license? in effect making it my current TCM. Or will it require a new license? I don't want to be sitting in the shop after install and find out that I'm dead in the water. :doh2:
Sorry if this has been covered before, I did try searching the threads.
Thanks for your help! :rockon:

Tre-Cool
May 23rd, 2011, 02:22 PM
You could flash in your current tune, but you still need another license for the new trans.

ScarabEpic22
May 23rd, 2011, 06:44 PM
I was initially thinking no problem, then I realized its a 6 speed auto with the integrated TCM. You could pull the existing TCM out of yours and swap it, but then you'd have to tear the stock trans apart and might be down for a few days.

So yes, you will need a new TCM license. However, your V2 comes with 2 VIN licenses from EFILive. There is no reason you cant use the TCM part of the 2nd license on your new trans and still have the ECM (or PCM, find someone who has a PCM and program it) part of the 2nd license available.

Longslyde
May 24th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the replies! Is there any way to tell what licenses are left in the V2? Here's the deal, I used one license to tune the pcm on a 2005 GTO with a Manual 6 speed. The car is gone now. Does this use up the tcm portion of that license also? Just trying to understand how the V2 uses the licenses. Thanks!

Mr. P.
May 24th, 2011, 05:23 AM
...You could pull the existing TCM out of yours and swap it, but then you'd have to tear the stock trans apart and might be down for a few days...

??? Looking at the service manual for the 6-speed autos, swapping the TCM doesn't seem to be all that difficult a job - couldn't you do that during the trans swap? Remove the existing trans, pull both pans and swap TCMs, then install the upgraded trans? Are you doing a converter swap too?

Mr. P. :)

Mr. P.
May 24th, 2011, 05:25 AM
You might even ask PATC if they would ship the trans *without* a TCM (because you'll furnish your own), and that might save you $$$ off the cost of the unit. ???

Longslyde
May 24th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Good point on the tcm swap. I just thought they might have buried it in there but since I will have them both on the ground that wouldn't take long to do. That's the route I'll probably take then. Thanks guys!

joecar
May 24th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Does this use up the tcm portion of that license also?
...You can mix/match.

Longslyde
June 17th, 2011, 05:38 AM
ok guys, got the new transmission in but I cannot perform a full flash. The "Full reflash" option is greyed out. I can only read and program calibrations. I need to full flash. What am i missing?

joecar
June 17th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Do you have a transmission calibration file open...?

Did you enter the blue card registration info (go Help->About, does it mention "demo"...?)...?

Tordne
June 17th, 2011, 07:17 AM
You also need to have FlashScan V2 connected to your PC before starting the Tune Tool. If you don't have it connected when opening the full-flash option will not be enabled. Hopefully it's that simple :)

Longslyde
June 17th, 2011, 07:20 AM
yes, file is open. i have the option to full flash when in engine tune, just not tcm. i have been tuning with this software for a few years. it is full commercial, not demo.

Longslyde
June 17th, 2011, 07:31 AM
yes calibration is open. not a demo. i can flash full ecm, just not tcm. commercial license.

Tordne
June 17th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Sorry, just looked at the top post. This is obviously a T43 controller in which case full-flash is not implemented in V7.5. You'll have to you the V8 software to do that.

ScarabEpic22
June 17th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Try using V8 to full flash the T43.

Longslyde
June 17th, 2011, 10:44 AM
thanks for the replies guys. I did not try V8 to flash, and I had it with me at the time too. I'll look to see if it allows me to do that tomorrow. We ended up having to swap TCM's from the original transmission to the new tranny. GM dealer could not even flash this TCM. Interesting info here for people looking to swap 6L80E transmissions though. I was the guinea pig on it. VERY frustrating day... here's the story for those that are interested...
Ordered a complete transmission from PATC. The "Pterodactyl" 6L80E transmission and was told that all I had to do after installation was flash the TCM with my current tune and we're ready to roll. I had a GM dealer install the transmission today figuring we had a 4 hour install ahead of us. All went well on the install and then came time to program the TCM. The tech hooked up the scan tool and linked to gm to install the OS to the TCM and it failed. the unit will try this 3 times and then give a critical failure. we attempted this twice. Failed both times. The tech (a really good friend of mine) called GM to run this problem by them. I learned that this is a "restricted" part by GM, meaning they want to know why you are changing or even messing with the unit. I found out that you can't even order this part without letting GM know what it is going into or why it is needed. We were told that almost "every" tcm in these 6L80E's are different and are matched to the vehicle they are in. GM has run into this situation before and even rattled off a part number (which i don't have handy right now) that they KNEW would not work in my truck although they look identical. GM rep said that the car and truck TCM's are different and will not accept programming from one another. Now I'm not saying this is gospel by any means but I can tell you first hand that the TCM in this transmission would not accept the OS from GM for whatever reason and the only solution for us today was to swap TCM's. YMMV but I thought it may be good to at least raise a flag for people to do some checking if they are looking to perform any full tranny swaps. Might help someone save a headache.
Anyways, we finally got the transmission working now it's off to tuning the shifts and pressures. Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate the replies!

Longslyde
June 17th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Try using V8 to full flash the T43.

I was looking at V8 tonight and tried to open a file from V7.5 but V8 does not seem to let me open any of the .tun files from 7.5. Am I doing something wrong or not selecting something that should be? Version 8.2.1 Build 151.

Tordne
June 17th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Open the file in V7.5 and 'Save As' a .CTD file. This can then be used by the V8 software.

Longslyde
June 23rd, 2011, 11:36 AM
Hello again guys! Got a question on the 6L80E pids. I see pids in the scan tool but all pids shown with the exception of about 3 or 4 for the transmission are valid. Again, am I doing something wrong to make them show valid? or are most of the pids shown not applicable with the T43 yet? I need to log adaptive shift cells and such to tune this transmission and cannot see how to do it with this software. Any ideas? :confused:

I posted this in the 6l80e section also to see if any transmission guys would see it. Thanks for the help guys! :rockon:

Blacky
June 23rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
Hello again guys! Got a question on the 6L80E pids. I see pids in the scan tool but all pids shown with the exception of about 3 or 4 for the transmission are valid. Again, am I doing something wrong to make them show valid? or are most of the pids shown not applicable with the T43 yet? I need to log adaptive shift cells and such to tune this transmission and cannot see how to do it with this software. Any ideas? :confused:

I posted this in the 6l80e section also to see if any transmission guys would see it. Thanks for the help guys! :rockon:

You need to connect up to the T43 and then run the validate PIDs option. Menu option: Info->Validate PIDs.

Regards
Paul

Longslyde
June 24th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Thanks Blacky! I give 'er a try tonight. :cheers: