PDA

View Full Version : First E38 tune, MAF recal?

joshp14
May 24th, 2011, 01:34 PM
A guy a know installed a Hurricane cold air intake on his 06 Z06 and he's now getting a MAF code. I told him that the MAF probably needs to be recalibrated. I've never messed with an E38 before, but I have done a couple AutoVE tunes on gen3 f-bodies.

When swapping out JUST a cold air intake on an otherwise stock Z06, is the MAF calibration the only thing that needs to be performed to keep his light off and get fueling back to where it should be? Does this: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?8961-E38-VVE-Setup-Guide have to be done or can just the MAF recal be done?

Is the MAF recal similar to the autove for the gen 3 applications? I plan on welding in a bung for the WB if need be but just want to get some ideas before i tackle this but I'm intimidated by this controller. Thanks in advance guys.

gmh308
May 24th, 2011, 11:35 PM
A guy a know installed a Hurricane cold air intake on his 06 Z06 and he's now getting a MAF code. I told him that the MAF probably needs to be recalibrated. I've never messed with an E38 before, but I have done a couple AutoVE tunes on gen3 f-bodies.

When swapping out JUST a cold air intake on an otherwise stock Z06, is the MAF calibration the only thing that needs to be performed to keep his light off and get fueling back to where it should be? Does this: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?8961-E38-VVE-Setup-Guide have to be done or can just the MAF recal be done?

Is the MAF recal similar to the autove for the gen 3 applications? I plan on welding in a bung for the WB if need be but just want to get some ideas before i tackle this but I'm intimidated by this controller. Thanks in advance guys.

Did the MAF position or ducting change? Assuming MAF is still connected :) ?

joshp14
May 25th, 2011, 09:04 AM
MAF position is the same but ducting changed. MAF still connected as far as I know. I haven't seen the car yet, he's bringing it to me on Monday so I'd like to get an idea how to do it before he brings it. Is it common to have to calibrate the MAF if the only changed part is the cold air intake? Thanks for your response.

joshp14
May 28th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Anyone?

mr.prick
May 28th, 2011, 07:36 AM
What's the code?
It could be oil from the air filter mucking up the MAF signal.

joecar
May 28th, 2011, 11:24 AM
If intake duct has changed then MAF may be working differently now.

swingtan
May 28th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't have thought that just an intake change would make that big a difference, unless the stock intake was massively restrictive. I have heard that changing the "axis" of the MAF can cause issues ( changing from an East-West to North-South orientation ), but I wouldn't have thought it would have been sufficient to cause a DTC. I'm thinking that if the filter wasn't over oiled ( as mr.prick says ), then the MAF or the wiring may have been damaged. More information is needed though as "he's getting a MAF code" doesn't really tell us much. Scan for a DTC, describe the conditions when the error occurs and if possible, log the engine to show what was occurring when the code was thrown.

Simon.

joshp14
May 29th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I'll have to check on the code because that is all the info I have as that's all he told me. I will look into it tomorrow when he brings the car over and see what code is actually setting and go from there. I just wasnt sure if it was common to get any MAF codes after swapping an air intake. Thanks for the responses. I'll let you know if I need any more help.

joecar
May 29th, 2011, 09:56 AM
The Corvette duct has a bend in it, the aftermarket duct is sufficiently differently shaped to have different flow characteristics (e.g. turbulence on inside of bend is now different).

joshp14
May 29th, 2011, 02:06 PM
The Corvette duct has a bend in it, the aftermarket duct is sufficiently differently shaped to have different flow characteristics (e.g. turbulence on inside of bend is now different).

So can a simple MAF table recal be performed to remedy this?