PDA

View Full Version : E38 G0901 Table for Fans settings

Chalky
May 25th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Probably a long shot here but is it possible to modify G0901 to bring fans online below 192*? I thought I had heard that the "Other Guy" had modified this table in their tuning package.

GMPX
May 25th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Yes, there is a patch option for all E38's & E67's.
The link to the patch is even in the description for G0901 :sly:

ScarabEpic22
May 25th, 2011, 09:53 AM
The link might be there, but the option to link to that table doesnt exist for my 08 TBSS...V2 plugged in or not. See attached pic.

Even applied the COS for the E67, didnt change it.

Love to be able to apply a patch, going with a lower tstat and efans this summer.

Chalky
May 25th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Ditto.

Oops, after a little research in old threads, it looks like V2 has to be hooked up to have access to the patch.

ScarabEpic22
May 25th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Ditto.

Oops, after a little research in old threads, it looks like V2 has to be hooked up to have access to the patch.

Still doesnt work for me, I tried it both with my V2 plugged in and without it plugged in, no patch for me :(

Jedi_Jr
May 25th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I have a P10 on a 2004 LL8 with a 160 TS and I have no issues unless it is over about 75 degrees out and then it runs about 170 to 180, you also have to disable the code P0128 and set the temp for LTFT lower (B0935 to 156.2) I think if you put something over 25% in the 192 column it will run the fans at a lover temp too, I THINK, as I am still experimenting. You can always make the fans come on with AC pressure at a lower temp. What I will be doing is to put an additional pusher fan in front for the days over ~75 degree's. That EV fan is a mess.

ScarabEpic22
May 25th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Honestly the P10 LL8 should be run with the stock 183* tstat. Its not a pushrod engine, the DOHC I6 runs best between 201-207F (normal operating temp with stock tstat). With a 160 Im betting you're loosing mileage like no tomorrow, when the stock tstat fails and goes full open the engine never warms up above 185* and you're guaranteed a 2+ mpg loss. Ive had people come to me and complain their mileage is way down, its because their ECT is sitting at 185* after 20min of driving and has failed. Yes you can run more timing, but honestly the P10 I6s runs too much timing as is from GM.

Jedi_Jr
May 25th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I like the 160 TS and the increased throttle response it gives. Heat kills no matter what and I have a heavy XUV 4X4 with 3.73's, so it is a pig anyway. I never got over 15 around town and above ~18 on the road with the original high temp TS, and MPG is the same with the 160 TS. You know what, maybe the reason they get bad MPG with a open TS is because it will not adjust LTFT below 176 deg?

GMPX
May 25th, 2011, 02:35 PM
So do you see it now?

Still doesnt work for me, I tried it both with my V2 plugged in and without it plugged in, no patch for me :(
Come to think of it, it's possible not all E67 OS's where completed.

ScarabEpic22
May 25th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I like the 160 TS and the increased throttle response it gives. Heat kills no matter what and I have a heavy XUV 4X4 with 3.73's, so it is a pig anyway. I never got over 15 around town and above ~18 on the road with the original high temp TS, and MPG is the same with the 160 TS. You know what, maybe the reason they get bad MPG with a open TS is because it will not adjust LTFT below 176 deg?

Probably, heat does kill but I dont think you're gaining anything anyway. LWB TB/Voys are pigs with the I6, they really need the 5.3 for the extra torque. 15 around town with 3.73s? Heck I dont even get that with my SWB 02 I6 3.73s. Unless you adjust the CL entry point then the engine will stay in OL and dump fuel because it thinks its not warmed up yet.

Glad its working for ya though!

Noooo, this OS covers a TON of trucks, all 08 TBSSs plus 08 5.3L V8s and 4.2L I6s so it would be a good candidate if you wanted to only do a few more.

Chalky
May 25th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Will try it tomorrow!

Chalky
May 27th, 2011, 01:54 PM
So do you see it now?

Hooked up V2. Still no B9904.:help2:

GMPX
May 27th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Can you please Email you .tun file to support@efilive.com

ScarabEpic22
May 27th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Do you want me to do that too for the OS I posted above?

TurboCamaro
October 6th, 2014, 05:06 PM
I am trying to apply the Operating Patch B9904 to allow lowering the fan turn on temp. I have applied the patch however cannot seem to find the table for altering the fan temp (G0901?) The operating system is 12638778and calibration is 12636660. What am I missing?

Taz
October 7th, 2014, 12:31 AM
That is a GMPP OS (12638778), and the fan controls have never been defined. Post your tune, and I can setup the fan (or fans) for you.

TurboCamaro
October 7th, 2014, 01:00 PM
That would be incredible, thank you very much.
Cal file attached.

Is adding tables a difficult thing to do.

Thanks
Eldon:thumb_yello:

Taz
October 7th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Not sure what you are working on, or what would be optimal for this project. If memory serves, GMPP wiring harnesses are setup for a single electric fan. You could add a wire to control another fan (low & high) if you wish. No problem to setup the tune for two fans.

You have applied the Cooling Fan Patch - when do you want the fan to come on ? The earlier than OEM options are 172, 177, 183, or 188 F.

Just let me know ...

Regards,
Taz

TurboCamaro
October 7th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Hi Taz
The car is a 50 Merc kit (fibreglass car). The owner feels it is running too hot, upwards of 220.
It would be great if you could have the fan come on at 183. It has a 180 stat in it so the fan should come on once the water is flowing. Did I miss a location to be able to modify the temp setting.

Please set it up for a second fan as well, thanks.

Sincerely
Eldon

Taz
October 7th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Hello Eldon,

That is an awesome set of wheels !!!

No sir, you did not miss anything - the fan parameters are missing in the software for that GMPP OS.

Try the attached tune. The Low Fan should come on at 183F, and turn off again at 172F (or never !). The High Fan should come on at 194F, and turn off again at 188F.

Cheers,
Taz

TurboCamaro
October 7th, 2014, 03:39 PM
HI Taz
Thank you very much.
Is the hi side fan pin the same as a standard GM LS3 like a Camaro or Caddi?
Thanks
Eldon

Taz
October 7th, 2014, 03:48 PM
With an E67 ECM, the Low Fan control is J3 (Grey) pin 49. The High Fan control is J1 (Blue) pin 54.

As you know, the ECM grounds the low voltage side of the fan relay to activate the fan(s).

Cheers,
Taz

TurboCamaro
October 7th, 2014, 04:15 PM
HI Taz
Thank you very much.
Eldon

Taz
October 7th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Hi Eldon,

I missed one setting in the tune I posted earlier - don't use it. Try the tune attached below.

Cheers,
Taz

TurboCamaro
October 10th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Hi Taz
Thank you.
Works perfectly.
The fan comes on at 180ish however the cooling system isn't cooling sufficiently to bring it down to turn the fan off. It stabilizes at 198 so there is a bit of work to do.
Thanks
Eldon

Taz
October 10th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Hi Eldon,

Those fan settings are not realistic for this project. If you are currently achieving equilibrium at 198F, with some efforts to seal the fans / shroud on the backside of the radiator, and some baffles on the front side of the radiator to direct the airflow - you should get more air flowing through the radiator (rather than flowing around the radiator).

The above efforts might get you to 188F or so (8F above the thermostat). I can post your tune again with the fans reset. What do you think of trying Fan 1 OFF at 188F, Fan 1 ON at 194F, Fan 2 OFF at 194F, and Fan 2 ON at 197 F ?

If you can get the equilibrium temperature down 10F, then with these fan settings, the fans may actually turn off for brief periods of time.

Cheers,
Taz

killerbee
October 12th, 2014, 07:30 AM
It really does not make sense to enable fans within 5 degrees of your thermostat "full open" coolant temp. All this does is create excess thermal stress on engine parts from the additional cycling and reduced fan life. The quoted thermostat temp is usually the "crack" temp.

TurboCamaro
October 12th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Taz: Thank you, I am thinking very much what you suggested. I want to check some mechanical things first; ensure the thermostat is in fact a 180, that the air flow through the rad is correct and the rad is sufficient. At that point I would ask for you to make a change to the cal. If the thermostat is a 195 it has stabilized on the stat so need to set the fan around that point (or put a lower stat in).

Killerbee: What do you suggest?

killerbee
October 13th, 2014, 04:09 AM
The vehicle will most times, cool itself unaugmented, the stats just need to be allowed to fully open. Without open stats, and low coolant flow, the fans really are not doing anything except lowering economy (parasitic load), making noise, etc.

I am not suggesting what specific temps you use, but I am not a fan of fan activity when avoidable. I wish we had the capability of doing what you are doing. I would program the first fan on around 210-220, as a start point. The 2nd one 10-20 degrees later. For gas powered vehicles you have detonation (octane) considerations that we do not worry about. Understood.

ScarabEpic22
October 13th, 2014, 04:53 AM
For reference, I have my LS2 set to bring the fans on low at 196F and the high at 204/206. Currently has a 180* tstat installed.

Taz
October 14th, 2014, 01:42 AM
Hi Eldon,

When you get the thermostat type confirmed (180F vs 192F), and the mechanicals configured to your liking, just let me know what fan parameters you would like to try. I will change them as many times as you need, until both you and your customer are content.

Despite comments to the contrary, the fan settings suggested in post #26 will work just fine for a 180F thermostat, as long as the overall cooling system is adequate.

With a naturally aspirated engine using a sufficiently robust cooling system, and ambient atmospheric temperature in the 80F to 90F range, a 192F thermostat will generally stabilize ECT at, or just above, the thermostat rating. A 160F thermostat will generally stabilize ECT in the low 170F range (generally 172F to 174F). A 180F thermostat will generally stabilize ECT around, or just under, 190F.

Every custom vehicle is unique, only you will know what will or won't work correctly for this particular combination.

Cheers,
Taz

TurboCamaro
November 16th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Hi All
Thank you for your comments. My apols for not being active for a bit. I have been obtaining and installing some components with SEMA in between. :)

I have installed twin 11" Maradyne fans with their shroud. It fits the core almost exactly. Then changed the thermostat out to a 180F one. Interestingly enough Caddi's have a 187 while Camaro's come with a 180. Now I am wiring the fans and want to turn them on separately per the above posts (Taz I would very much like to turn them at your suggestion in post 26, thanks!). It is a GM performance harness which according to their instructions is populated in J1 pin 54. The instructions say this goes to Fuse Bus 7D (as does the lo fan J3 pin 49 go to Fuse Bus Pos 7D) does anyone know "wiring" at the fuse box for the hi Fan?

Thanks
Eldon

Taz
November 17th, 2014, 02:58 AM
Hello Eldon,

Attached is the tune you requested - with the Fan settings as listed in post #26. Try it out, and see if it will work for your project - if does not work the way you would like, just let me know what Fan settings you would like to try next.

With respect to your E-Fan wiring question ...

Also attached is a photo of backside of the E67 J1/C1 (Blue) and J3/C3 (Grey) wiring harness connector covers. These are from an LSA wiring harness (what I happened to have on the workbench this morning) - but are the same as your GMPP E67 LS3 connectors. These simply "pop" off - with light pressure applied to both ends (a small screwdriver used cautiously will get this done).

You are correct - the GMPP (now Chevrolet Performance) instructions list the fan outputs as being routed to Fuse Bus 7D / Fuse Bus Pos 7D.

I would recommend checking the continuity of both the Low Fan output (C3 pin 49) with the Fuse Bus (should be a green wire), and the High Fan output (C1 pin 54) with the Fuse Bus (should be a blue wire).

Hope this helps ...

Cheers,
Taz

TurboCamaro
November 17th, 2014, 05:39 AM
Good morning Taz
Awesome, thanks!
You wouldn't happen to have a schematic of the fan bus(es) or know the colors of the fan wires out of the bus (relay) to the fan(s).
Thanks
Eldon

TurboCamaro
November 17th, 2014, 07:34 AM
As an quick update for anyone else looking at doing this. GM Performance splices the hi and lo fan to trigger a single relay in the power distribution.

TurboCamaro
November 22nd, 2014, 09:56 AM
Hi Taz
I don't see the cal file attached to your posts.
Could you please repost the latest ones with the fan settings per thread 26.
Thanks
Eldon

Taz
November 22nd, 2014, 10:43 AM
Hello Eldon,

You had made additional comments in this thread after I had posted the most recent tune - so my assumption was that you had downloaded it. I don't leave custom tunes on the Forum for very long anymore - every now and then someone will download a tune that they don't fully understand, an issue will present, and then they will go crying to EFILive for compensation.

Attached is the tune previously posted ...

Cheers,
Taz

TurboCamaro
November 22nd, 2014, 12:18 PM
Hi Taz
No worries.
That is what I expected, my apologies for not downloading right away.
I have downloaded this most recent tune.
Thanks
Eldon

TurboCamaro
April 17th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Hi Taz
Well the snow is finally gone so I have been able to tune and drive the car. While it is not 30C yet the fans seem to function great and cool the car nicely.
Thank you :)
Once I solve the P2135 code and the P0443 code (posted elsewhere) the customer should be able to enjoy his car.
Thanks
Eldon