PDA

View Full Version : 03 Z06 swap into 71 Camaro...

2007 5.9
May 26th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Got a buddy who is swapping in a '03 Z06 with GM PCM and wiring harness into a '71 Camaro with a TH-400 or T-5.

Is there any issues with doing so??

He's worried about all associated BCM functions and ECM controls outside of the engine alone.

With EFI Live, is he able to turn off all ETC...DTC'S associated with eveything excpet motor functions??

When it comes to tuning, which section do I look into for advise and tunes??

I'm completely new at this..so be easy on me.

Thanks
Les

schwoch1
May 26th, 2011, 01:28 AM
As far as I Know, you can shut off any associated BCM or ABS trouble codes that pop up when you power up the computer and flash in the initial tune. I am sure that you will have to shut off VATS and a whole host of other trouble codes (cats, evap, etc). I am going to say that their probably will be no BCM related codes that the computer will throw anyways, I think the BCM in that year was pretty much stand alone anyhow. If there are any codes BCM related that pop up, just shut them off. As far as tune, is your friend changing cam, injectors, adding superchargers, turbo's etc....??? If not, stick with the stock tune and follow WeathermanShawns tuning tutorial to get everything spot on.
As far as trans, the T5 don't have a snowballs chance in hell behind the Z06 engine unless grandma is using it to go to church on Wednesday and Sunday!!!! If he wants a manual, call up Keisler and get a TKO or their new RS series transmission. Also, a TH400 will work too, just he will want OD in the future (trust me, talking from experience!!!)

Hope this helps!
Mike

2007 5.9
May 26th, 2011, 01:51 AM
As far as I Know, you can shut off any associated BCM or ABS trouble codes that pop up when you power up the computer and flash in the initial tune. I am sure that you will have to shut off VATS and a whole host of other trouble codes (cats, evap, etc). I am going to say that their probably will be no BCM related codes that the computer will throw anyways, I think the BCM in that year was pretty much stand alone anyhow. If there are any codes BCM related that pop up, just shut them off. As far as tune, is your friend changing cam, injectors, adding superchargers, turbo's etc....??? If not, stick with the stock tune and follow WeathermanShawns tuning tutorial to get everything spot on.
As far as trans, the T5 don't have a snowballs chance in hell behind the Z06 engine unless grandma is using it to go to church on Wednesday and Sunday!!!! If he wants a manual, call up Keisler and get a TKO or their new RS series transmission. Also, a TH400 will work too, just he will want OD in the future (trust me, talking from experience!!!)

Hope this helps!
Mike

Just what I needed!!!

Big thank you!!

Yes he will have a cam, but I'll address that later. Much appreciated!!

Thanks
Les