PDA

View Full Version : So who can build a cax file?

Whipped383
June 4th, 2011, 02:27 AM
Anyone interested in helping out guys with 4x4 that have done the 411 swap? there is now a tune that makes everything work right but the problem is no cos support and the part that makes the lo shift properly is in the system file.

joecar
June 4th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Making a COS is not as simple as making a CAX...

to make a CAX: you look thru the data portion of the raw binary file to see if you recognize some pattern as a table, you determine the format/units of this table, you test it (edit and view resulting operation), and then include the address/format/units of this table in a CAX file so that when you open the calibration with the tunetool it shows this table; and then do the same thing over again for each different OS since the table locations will be different;

to make a COS: you look thru the program portion of the raw binary file looking for a suitable place to insert a call to subroutine, and then in an unused portion of the binary you add code which defines the subroutine to perform some task or calculation (e.g. look up a new table that you're adding) and integrate the value into a register which the caller was using, and return back to the caller; then in an unused data portion you define the new table; then test that this works; and then do the same thing over again for each different OS since the code/table locations will be different;

you can see both are not simple, and are very time consuming.

joecar
June 4th, 2011, 05:57 AM
What OS are you currently running...?

Is there any way to run any of the OS's mentioned in the COS tutorial pdf...?

If you run one of those (with all 4x4 functions working correctly) then would the corresponding COS work...?

Whipped383
June 4th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Well the os I am running is 12212156 but its the same os as a 2wd or 4wd. I have a l31 with the 411 pcm swap so the tune came from an 02 express van that uses that computer and there was never a 4wd van. Mike took an S10 file and did segment swaps and made it work. So the cos I need would be a 02020003 but its 2wd the 4 low doesent work with it. Heres a link to the problem several of us are facing http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?7914-0411-conversion-issue so either getting the lo working with the cos or getting boost tables in the functioning tune I have either way will make me happy. Its going to take someone with alot more knowledge than me though

joecar
June 5th, 2011, 01:17 AM
I take it there is no 12212156 with 4x4 functionality...

Whipped383
June 5th, 2011, 05:12 AM
I couldnt tell you on that I would assume that the s10 zr2 our current tunes are based from have the same operating system. That would be a guess to is maybe if it is a different os we can find a cos file for it then do segment swaps like was done to make this one work

ScarabEpic22
June 5th, 2011, 08:30 AM
If you are running 12212156 then you can use a COS...not sure what the problem is here?

Upgrade to a COS, cal flash your current calibration into the PCM, then read it back out and modify that.

Does the 12212156 OS not provide 4 Low?

Whipped383
June 5th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Yeah the 4 lo doesent work with the cos and for that matter didn't even work in th first place it was created from others by doin segment swaps

ScarabEpic22
June 5th, 2011, 09:04 AM
OK so can you upgrade to a COS, read it out then do a seg swap? The OSs will be different and this might be an issue, dont know if EFILive lets you do that. Maybe you can request that functionality and test if it works?

Whipped383
June 5th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I know guys have tried using a newer cos and doing swaps but they won't even run . If you readx the link I posted earlier you will see mor of the problem. Whatever it is that makes the lo work is in the system file so seg swaps don't even make it work

5.7ute
June 5th, 2011, 12:54 PM
So the 4 low trans parameters do not work with a standard 12212156 OS, or only fail when you go to a COS?

Whipped383
June 5th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Well theres no 4 low shift tables in any of the tunes that I have but it still works with the one Here are the tunes I have If anyone wants to look Ones a 2wd ones a 4wd 11063

5.7ute
June 5th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Whipped, sorry but you are not being very clear. Are the 4 lo tables active when using the 12212156 OS?
The custom OS parameters appear to take over a section of the trans diagnostic part of the code (from what I can see) This may or may not be your issue.

Aloicious
June 5th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I've only been partially helping with this problem for a while, but since I don't have a 4wd truck to test things on I can't do too much. but basically this is what's happening:

the problem exists on on 411PCM swapped 96-98 L31 based 4wd trucks...since these are L31 trucks, the base tune has to be from a Xvan, which of course never used 4wd, so in order to get the 4wd functionality, a hybrid tune was created by someone which used an S10 tune of some sort (others will have more info on that than I will). So the base tune that whipped posted up is what that is, it has full 4wd high and low functionallity, however when that tune is converted to a COS (02020003), it's 4low shifting functionality goes all haywire. so 12212156 OS 4low works, simple swap to 02020003 and its haywire.

several of us think that perhaps its a table that we don't have access to in the tune which is causing this problem, which is why we think a CAX might be needed. especially since the problem is centralized around the swapped PCM trucks. but no one is completely sure why the problem is happening.

since we know alot of people have the problem with 02020003, I wonder if anyone has tried it with any other COSs? perhaps its something with COS3 only? if you have a chance whipped, try COS5 or something, see if the issue is still there...

Whipped383
June 6th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Ok thanks for your input im not the best at explaining things. Ill try a cos 5 and see what happens

joecar
June 6th, 2011, 04:02 AM
When you upgrade from 12212156 to COS3 or COS5 are you doing this:
- full flash of COS3/5,
- cal only flash from 12212156,
- read back from PCM and save to file,
- edit file and fix any out-of-range cells (including A0012, A0013),
- look thru all tables for sane values and fix the insane ones,
- cal only flash.

Those are important, make sure that all the Axxxx tables and B3647 contain sane values.

OOR: make sure you get rid of the blue dogear corners.

Whipped383
June 6th, 2011, 06:05 AM
That's what I did but I screwd up and used a file that the 4 didn't work on I gotta try agin

5.7ute
June 6th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I've only been partially helping with this problem for a while, but since I don't have a 4wd truck to test things on I can't do too much. but basically this is what's happening:

the problem exists on on 411PCM swapped 96-98 L31 based 4wd trucks...since these are L31 trucks, the base tune has to be from a Xvan, which of course never used 4wd, so in order to get the 4wd functionality, a hybrid tune was created by someone which used an S10 tune of some sort (others will have more info on that than I will). So the base tune that whipped posted up is what that is, it has full 4wd high and low functionallity, however when that tune is converted to a COS (02020003), it's 4low shifting functionality goes all haywire. so 12212156 OS 4low works, simple swap to 02020003 and its haywire.

several of us think that perhaps its a table that we don't have access to in the tune which is causing this problem, which is why we think a CAX might be needed. especially since the problem is centralized around the swapped PCM trucks. but no one is completely sure why the problem is happening.

since we know alot of people have the problem with 02020003, I wonder if anyone has tried it with any other COSs? perhaps its something with COS3 only? if you have a chance whipped, try COS5 or something, see if the issue is still there...

Thanks for the clear explanation Aloicious. Sounds like the custom parameters take over the part of the code necessary for the 4lo trigger.
I dont think anything short of a rewrite of the COS will fix this.

Whipped383
June 6th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Dont think a cax will fix it? Howard had talked to the guys at efilive about it and they dont wanna do anything to help they arent interested in doing anymore with the older pcm stuff

schwoch1
June 6th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Dont think a cax will fix it? Howard had talked to the guys at efilive about it and they dont wanna do anything to help they arent interested in doing anymore with the older pcm stuff

I wouldn't say that they are not interested in helping you, just that most of the time some of these one off requests can take days upon days (or quite possibly months) to come up with a fix, and it only benefits a handful of people. EFI Live is a business, and they are going to go where the money takes them, and that is keeping current on the newer stuff out there. Let's face it, if you ran a business and you had the choice to cater to 50-100 people who probably are not going to spend any more money with you other than your initial investment, or come up with a new product that will bring fresh/new customers to you and keep you in business, you would probably try to open up your customer base (at least I would). Most people do not realize the man hours coming up with a simple fix can take and it just isn't worth it in a business sense!!!
Just my $.02, and please don't ask for change :)

Mike

Whipped383
June 6th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I can agree its only for a handfull of people but theres also frustration when youve spent a good amount of money on someting and they dont offer support for you. But the program is also the best out there and Im not taking my buisness elsewhere either

minytrker
June 6th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Your also tuning a vehicle EFI doesnt even support. Its just a plus your able to do the pcm conversion and use EFI to tune IMO.
I don't know if I can fix your problem but I am interested in it, if you email what you have I will take a look and see what I can do.

Taz
June 7th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Hello Whipped383,

In the 0411 conversion thread you updated that you were able to get 4 Low working with the COS3 tune. What was done differently this time around ?

Regards,
Taz

Whipped383
June 7th, 2011, 02:08 AM
I honestly dont know I just did a quick and dirty cos upgrade and it worked and I didnt get a chance to do alot of testing on it either. Im still new to this stuff so Im trying to figure what else I need to do with the new tune to have it all set up right. Maybe im just the lucky one? Lots of smarter guys have tried this many many times and I get it first shot? Dunno Ill have updates when I know for sure its all right.

joecar
June 7th, 2011, 04:55 AM
I honestly dont know I just did a quick and dirty cos upgrade and it worked and I didnt get a chance to do alot of testing on it either. Im still new to this stuff so Im trying to figure what else I need to do with the new tune to have it all set up right. Maybe im just the lucky one? Lots of smarter guys have tried this many many times and I get it first shot? Dunno Ill have updates when I know for sure its all right.Can you please post the before-COS and after-COS files.

You maybe did it correctly.

Make sure you fix those OOR cells:

COS5:
showthread.php?t=2599 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=2599)
showthread.php?t=2270 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=2270)

Fixing Out Of Range (OOR) Cells:
showpost.php?p=87052 (http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=87052&postcount=14) post #14
showthread.php?14119-3000-RPM-max-and-setting-codes-03-Z06-with-Magnuson-at-150kPa (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14119-3000-RPM-max-and-setting-codes-03-Z06-with-Magnuson-at-150kPa) posts #14, #17
showthread.php?14654-I-need-help-getting-the-most-out-of-my-car (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14654-I-need-help-getting-the-most-out-of-my-car) post#2

Whipped383
June 7th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Ill post some tonight and get the cos set up a little better. Id really like some others to test it

Whipped383
June 7th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Guys I posted my tunes over here http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?7914-0411-conversion-issue&p=147189&posted=1#post147189