PDA

View Full Version : cant get the smoke tune to work.

haulinit
June 5th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I have tried several different set ups and nothing seems to work, can somebody tell me why its not working. The truck is a 2004 LB7 with a PPE boost fooler. Also a DSP5 switch the smoke tune is the 4th setting. The base tune is the Clean 100 from the tune directory.

Thanks
Shawn

andrewjamesbond1
June 5th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I'll take a look at it after finals this week lol

haulinit
June 5th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks

GMC-2002-Dmax
June 5th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Smoke tunes usually will not work on a non-vvt charger the same way as a VVT because you have no control over boost with a non-vvt charger, once it lights the charger the extra air will lessen the smoke.

haulinit
June 6th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Is there any way to safely do it with a fixed vane turbo? I tried reducing timing by 30% and giving it A ton of fuel that did not work either?

THEFERMANATOR
June 6th, 2011, 02:21 AM
You could drop the timing WAY back as well as ower rail pressure WAY down and make the engine inefficient and miserable to make smoke, but why? They do nothing but give diesels a bad name when they just sit there and pour out smoke. I'll admit that I played around with it early on, but after realizing how this stuff is used agaianst us as a whole I refined my tuning so that the smoke you see is tire smoke.

haulinit
June 6th, 2011, 02:37 AM
You could drop the timing WAY back as well as ower rail pressure WAY down and make the engine inefficient and miserable to make smoke, but why? They do nothing but give diesels a bad name when they just sit there and pour out smoke. I'll admit that I played around with it early on, but after realizing how this stuff is used agaianst us as a whole I refined my tuning so that the smoke you see is tire smoke.

I agree with you entirely, however this on a DSP switch and he only wants it for playing around.

minytrker
June 6th, 2011, 03:56 AM
I sell a LB7 smoke tune BUT it is hard on the motor but it will make it blow alot of black smoke!! I never recommend smoke tunes for all the reasons already posted but I can make one smoke if someone just insists.

haulinit
June 6th, 2011, 04:03 AM
I sell a LB7 smoke tune BUT it is hard on the motor but it will make it blow alot of black smoke!! I never recommend smoke tunes for all the reasons already posted but I can make one smoke if someone just insists.

Didnt know you had to try so hard to get one to smoke!

THEFERMANATOR
June 6th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Didnt know you had to try so hard to get one to smoke!

You pretty much have to tune the engine to an unsafe point of timing, PW, and rail pressure to acieve this on an LB7 that it just isn't really worth it.

minytrker
June 6th, 2011, 08:58 AM
You pretty much have to tune the engine to an unsafe point of timing, PW, and rail pressure to acieve this on an LB7 that it just isn't really worth it.

I agree, thats why I said its VERY hard on the motor and dont recommend it.

haulinit
June 6th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I called and gave him the crushing news no smoke tune for him! He understood why though. So what tune should I replace it with? Right now it he has 100HP,50HP tow-tune, lope tune and stock. Any ideas?

andrewjamesbond1
June 7th, 2011, 05:34 AM
A wicked drag tune...???? :D

haulinit
June 7th, 2011, 06:22 AM
A wicked drag tune...???? :D Stock Tranny :fluffy:

andrewjamesbond1
June 7th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Rats... Valet tune? or a crazy lope, like something different than the tradition lope...

haulinit
June 8th, 2011, 01:44 AM
The lope in it now is fairly gnarly for a regular lope tune.

andrewjamesbond1
June 8th, 2011, 02:29 AM
.... I have nothing lol...

haulinit
June 8th, 2011, 02:53 AM
me either!

andrewjamesbond1
June 8th, 2011, 03:28 AM
What about a tune totally dedicated to economy? Also, for the smoke tune, did you modify any of the maf limiting tables? and how much did you want the sucker to smoke?

haulinit
June 8th, 2011, 01:38 PM
What about a tune totally dedicated to economy? Also, for the smoke tune, did you modify any of the maf limiting tables? and how much did you want the sucker to smoke?

Hard to beat what hes getting already, his last trip to Texas he averaged 23-24 on the 100hp tune. Between the two of us we have decided not to go with a smoke tune, better for the general public trust me, He would run it into the ground, I almost wish he didnt have the lope tune.

minytrker
June 8th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I pretty much only do DSP2 tunes for that reason, really no need for 5 tunes, I do usually 100hp and a tow tune if they pull big trailers. I find most get best economy with my 100hp tune so no need for economy tune.

THEFERMANATOR
June 8th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I pretty much only do DSP2 tunes for that reason, really no need for 5 tunes, I do usually 100hp and a tow tune if they pull big trailers. I find most get best economy with my 100hp tune so no need for economy tune.

That's what I have, about a 125-150HP tune in the base and a 40HP tow tune on the DSP side. I switch to the DSP side for towing more than 4K or so or when driving in snow or heavy rain to keep traction.

dmaxbowtie
June 20th, 2011, 11:24 AM
how about a quiet low idle tune for pulling up at the drive thru?

Motorzane
June 20th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Or at the drive through window

dmaxbowtie
June 20th, 2011, 11:47 AM
That's what I mean by drive thru

andrewjamesbond1
June 20th, 2011, 11:54 AM
And how might you make it quieter? Mess with pilot injections? Not really sure how to do that with a straight pipe lol....

dmaxbowtie
June 20th, 2011, 12:11 PM
My truck gets nice and quiet by just lowering the rpms at idle but i don't have it straight piped lol

haulinit
June 20th, 2011, 01:04 PM
His truck has a 5" turbo back straight pipe. My buddy has a "stealth" tune on his 7.3 powerstroke. Can this be done with the pilot injection?

dmaxbowtie
June 20th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I can't take the credit but I asked a friend and he said "Go to pilot injection qty and increase it from. 9 to 2.5 from 600-1000 rpm 5mm3-20mm3"

THEFERMANATOR
June 20th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I've played around with quieter idle tunes, and it always ended up with a hazing idle after about 30 seconds.

haulinit
June 22nd, 2011, 12:53 AM
I've played around with quieter idle tunes, and it always ended up with a hazing idle after about 30 seconds.

I was wondering about that. I wonder if there is a happy medium?